Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Official Docker container image

#1 2020-08-01 14:13:18

jobec
2020-08-01

Official Docker container image

Hi,

Are there any plans for an official docker container image?

A lot of applications provide it by default and it's quickly becoming a standard way of running applications.

I checked the linuxserver image, but it's just a php + webserver that spits out the piwigo files to a volume. So it's not really following any best practice of having a specific version of an application in the image. You can afterwards run a more recent image, but it won't change anything to the version you are running. And it also contains weird volumes.

There's a much better image from mathieuruellan with proper volumes and the like, but it doesn't follow the piwigo releases automatically.

So, it would be nice to see (some of) the following:

* An official piwigo image on docker hub
* Based on the "official" php Apache image
* Static code base (so no auto upgrade stuff) following piwigo releases.
* The ability to run as an arbitrary user (for example OpenShift enforces this)
* Some in-container cli for making config changes (like the web API, but not needing any authentication. Like nextcloud's occ command)
* Correct volumes for things like data, local, themes, plugins, ...
* Official documentation in the install docs
* Version upgrade support between images.
* Some configurability with environment variables (like the database connection)

After a lot of tinkering I have 1, 2, 3 and 4 running. But before putting effort in contributing it on github: is there any interest in this?

#2 2020-08-01 19:18:10

executive
2017-08-16

Re: Official Docker container image

I don't have docker in my hosting setup.

#3 2020-08-01 19:46:02

jobec
2020-08-01

That's a pity ;)

But people with a QNAP, Synology, OpenMediaVault, etc do. And also the various VPS hosting flavours or digitalocean's droplets have it.

#4 2020-08-24 11:17:24

gsenroc
2020-08-24

I would also love to see the docker image from Piwigo and I will sure switch to it immediately.

I'm already switching to docker for our server for almost everything. It's a very well controlled and easy way to install/maintain/upgrade, just a breeze to use.

Although there are third party docker images for Piwigo, for robustness and consistency the official image is always the best in the long run.

#5 2020-08-24 11:20:23

jobec
2020-08-01

Too bad there doesn't seem to be much response from the developers.

Anyway; I'll see to share my docker file here somewhere in the next days.

#6 2020-09-24 13:54:37

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Messing with Docker in a development environment is just the way to go... even if I personally have yet to master it, I see many going this way. Other tools I use in my web landscape are Nextcloud, Joomla, Matomo, Wordpress, Virtual Hosting, MySQL, Nginx, Apache etc... all are there.... all are Docker ready and I have a few live on my home server setup.

There may yet be some reluctance for traditional LAMP applications, but many have Docker images.

#7 2021-01-28 23:10:19

Seeker
2020-09-15

The Linuxserver/Piwigo Docker works well.

#8 2021-01-28 23:55:38

ckayfish
2021-01-25

I often use a linuxserver image rather than an "official" one from an app developer, because I know these guys are experts at making them.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/piwigo

--- devOps engineer; sometimes coder. I make your apps run with 99.999% uptime ---

#9 2021-01-29 06:50:03

jobec
2020-08-01

They are certainly not experts in making container images.

I don't know if they changed their entire structure. But all it did when I looked at it is embedding a zip file in the image en extracting it to a volume upon first run.
It didn't allow you to upgrade or anything like that. In the end it was a selfextracting zip file. Nothing more.

#10 2021-01-29 07:20:21

ckayfish
2021-01-25

@jobec, I don't know what you're doing it or how you're trying to run it, but it took me literally 20 minutes to stand it up, including a new instance of mariadb.

--- devOps engineer; sometimes coder. I make your apps run with 99.999% uptime ---

#11 2021-01-29 10:43:53

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

There is one thing I find annoying and I have no solution for.

Direct file access. Docker- or kubernetes - creates virtual machines that are inside vhdx files (thats Windows Hyper-V virtual hdd) and there seems to be no way to get easy access to the files for editing.

The Docker way is to make you edits in a new machine and then have it replace the old one, thus no downtime, which may seem fine and dandy for most, but to edit three lines of code... jeez what a waste of time. I dont really get it... still learning though.

An alternative is to get something like a Bitnami LAMP package, go for WordPress just for the hell of it, and then that will setup a server environment for you and you should be able to add more web applications using that server instance. I have not tried it yet though...

#12 2021-01-29 11:25:02

ckayfish
2021-01-25

@homdax, As with my last reply, I’m not sure on how you’re managing your containers. Not only do I have access to all my files in a persistent volume, I also replaced folders like upload, galleries, _data with symlinks to my larger data drive. I’ll admit there is a bit of a learning curve to orchestrating applications this way, but the framework is solid.

#13 2021-01-29 11:28:48

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Windows or Linux...?

#14 2021-01-29 12:46:52

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I don't use Docker. Like at all. Maybe I'm missing a turn shift in the deployment industry.

Maybe we could work with someone familiar with Docker and willing to maintain an official container!

#15 2021-01-31 10:05:48

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

My original post was from september, since I have been trying to get a stable docker environment in like 20 differet ways and I ended up running a perfectly normal LAMP from Bitnami with no Docker or Kubernetes.

Having said that, I would be willling to talk about this and try to iron out what I - obviously - did wrong, but that would not be a Piwigo topic, been active in 6 different forums trying to find answers.

In regards to having Piwigo as Docker or Kubernetes, I guess you could just approach Bitnami and see how they do it, they have several packages for many platforms and might be interested in helping out. Their strength is their versatility.

•  » Requests
  •  » Official Docker container image

Board footer