Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » How much can I trust Piwigo with my private pictures?

#1 2021-03-28 19:28:59

tommi
a galaxy far, far away
2021-01-07

How much can I trust Piwigo with my private pictures?

Hello, I am starting to upload some personal pictures on my Piwigo gallery, hosted by Piwigo on piwigo.com, but I am realizing that there are some intimate ones that I am really interested in keeping strictly private.

Do you know if there is any sort of server-side encryption? If not, how can I trust that nobody else is looking at my pictures? What is the policy for Piwigo employees about my pictures? Can they access them?

Thank you very much!

Piwigo URL: https://images.tommi.space

Last edited by tommi (2021-03-29 04:26:17)

#2 2021-03-28 22:57:04

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: How much can I trust Piwigo with my private pictures?

Piwigo is meant to publish photos, there is no encryption and there's always the possibility that even for private albums single URIs to individual pictures are passed on. Anyhow, whoever has access rights can copy-paste URIs, but of course can also copy-paste images. So either you trust them or you don't, and your hosting provider has access anyway.

But there's a simple solution to the access right problem and URIs handed out to not authenticated/authorised persons, setup a gallery in a directory with an Apache .htaccess .htpasswd secured authentication. Which doesn't change anything about trust though.

Besides, the general rule that if you want to keep something strictly private then don't put it on the internet of course applies.

Regarding Piwigo "employees", unless you have your site hosted by piwigo.com there's no "employee" involved with your site. ("employee" in quotes because it's only 'plg' who has last say about Piwigo's code).

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2021-03-29 04:27:42

tommi
a galaxy far, far away
2021-01-07

Re: How much can I trust Piwigo with my private pictures?

erAck wrote:

Piwigo is meant to publish photos, there is no encryption and there's always the possibility that even for private albums single URIs to individual pictures are passed on.

I expected this… it was only to be sure. Thank you very much anyways.

Best,
T

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » How much can I trust Piwigo with my private pictures?

Board footer