Announcement

#1 2021-07-14 02:02:33

rassel82
Luxembourg
2021-07-14

Android app - Poor resolution

Hi everybody,

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tablet S7 and installed the Piwigo NG app to visualize my photos on the tablet and not just on my iOS phone. I experience issues with the resolution of the photos. On my home installed piwigo server, I have only pictures from digital cameras. Minimum resolution should be 12MP to 26MP for the recent ones. All files have been uploaded by FTP, so no web based uploaded file.

On my iOS smartphone, everything looks crisp and sharp, but on the new Samsung tablet (11 inch screen size) the pictures are not sharp at all.

Here are the specs of my Piwigo environment:
Piwigo 11.5.0 Check for upgrade
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 7.4.3 (Show info) [2021-07-14 00:00:09]
MySQL: 8.0.25-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 [2021-07-14 00:00:09]
Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.9.10-23
Piwigo URL: http://

It runs on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS version with Apache as webserver.

Could somebody give me a hint if there is a misconfiguration or is it a bug in the Android app?

I really appreciate all kind of help,

Kind regards,

Gilles

#2 2021-07-14 12:47:03

remartin
Piwigo Team
2021-04-30

Re: Android app - Poor resolution

Hi,

If the "poor resolution" concern the albums thumbnails or full screen images, it's a known issue from the android app. For the images displayed inside albums view, it can be changed through the settings.

Best regards,
Rémi

#3 2021-07-14 13:26:58

rassel82
Luxembourg
2021-07-14

Thank you for your quick reply,

a little more details from my side:
Album thumbnails I already saw that they were no so sharp, but I can live with that as I suppose that it will be fixed in a newer version of the app. The app is still in alpha development state.

The preview images inside an album I already adjusted to medium in the app and they are now very sharp. So no problem on this side and as you mentioned, this can be configured in the app settings.

I was more talking about the image itself when you would like to see it fullscreen or as a slideshow. These images are not tack sharp and are missing resolution. Just to explain my workflow a little bit more in detail how I uploaded the images:
- They are always uploaded as full resolution images, so in my case 12MP, 16MP and 26MP. There are some old images from my dad scanned from Kodak Photo CD's, but I did not tested the resolution problem on them.
- I have not configured any "resizing" in Piwigo ==> Configuration ==> Options ==> Photo sizes ==> "Resize after upload" as I also use Piwigo to back my original JPEG file as it is stored in full resolution.
- I uploaded all my images using SCP Filezilla and did afterwards a synchronisation on the Piwigo web interface, so no web uploads.

My question was if this is default behaviour on tablets? The Samsung S7 tablet has a high resolution, but my images have still more than the tablet.
If not, should I have a look on the server configuration side or is there anything in the app?
Is it related to Piwigo themes? Currently I'm using Bootstrap Darkroom.

Kind regards,

gilles

#4 2021-07-14 22:05:19

rassel82
Luxembourg
2021-07-14

I debugged a little bit more on the server and I see these requests in access log file on the piwigo server when selecting an image.

10.0.30.87 - - [14/Jul/2021:19:20:46 +0000] "GET /_data/i/galleries/Moments/202102_-_Treppeltour_Ellergronn/OMD-EM1_20210214_Ellergronn-17-me.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 216303 "-" "Dart/2.12 (dart:io)"

It appears to me that the piwigo_ng app is only requesting an "medium" image size. I do not understand what are the criterias to select a certain image size. Is it based on the screen size of the device? When I do the same test on my macbook pro, it selects an XXL sized image.

Is there a possibility to configure a default size for gallery pictures on the Piwigo server (local configuration file)

I found a workaround in setting manually the medium size to the pixel size of XXL in Piwigo admin interface. But I loose the "L", "XL" and "XXL" image sizes.

Should I open a bug or feature request on Github in the Piwigo NG Android app?

Kind regards,

Gilles

Board footer