Announcement

#1 2021-07-17 17:14:34

drmaemo
2013-07-11

Is Related Albums Listing More Albums Than Necessary?

Hello,

Note: I changed the title of this thread to a question because I realize that I don't understand how Related Albums is supposed to work. The albums that are listed for various photos is so variable that I cannot figure it out. Will appreciate if this feature could be explained a bit more.

First, thanks to those who maintain and develop Piwigo.

I updated from Piwigo 10.x to Piwigo 11.5. The 'Related Albums' is a new feature that users might find useful.

After updating, the list of albums that Related Album lists is far too many (i.e., more albums are listed than which the photo is assigned). The number of albums varies from photo to photo, but it is always more than the number of albums it is assigned. To explain further, as a site administrator user I view a photo and use the Admin tools to check that it is assigned to one album. I then return to the photo details page and click on the Related Album menu item and two additional albums are listed with a (1) next to them. If I click on one of the other albums that is listed, the photo changes to a different photo.

Is there a setting I can change so that only the albums that the viewed photo is assigned is displayed by Related Albums?

Alternatively, is it possible to check the records in the Related Albums database table for mis-sidentifed albums for photos? Note: This will be tedious and makes most sense if the issue was likely caused by the update.

Any advice or information that will clarify my experience with Related Albums will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Environment: 
    Piwigo 11.5.0 Check for upgrade
    Operating system: Linux
    PHP: 7.3.28
    MySQL: 5.5.5-10.2.37-MariaDB [2021-07-17 16:54:01]
    Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.9.10-68

Last edited by drmaemo (2021-07-17 22:46:15)

Piwigo 14.0.0 on Linux since 7 March 2020
PHP: 8.1.26 and MySQL: 10.11.6-MariaDB

#2 2021-07-17 20:41:52

drmaemo
2013-07-11

Re: Is Related Albums Listing More Albums Than Necessary?

Hello,

Please let me know if my perception on how Related Albums works is incorrect, so that I don't misunderstand this feature.

My current understanding of Related Albums is that it lists only the other albums that a particular photo is assigned, which is based on what I have found at piwigo.org and this forum about Related Albums. However, I may have missed a page that clarifies this feature.

Cheers!

Last edited by drmaemo (2021-07-17 20:42:25)

#3 2021-07-21 12:03:41

drmaemo
2013-07-11

Correct me if this wrong. I noticed the issue I describe above occurs when a photo is viewed from the Recent or Random grouping of photos. When I view the same photo after I navigate to the virtual album that it is assigned, then the Related Albums feature can accurately determine the related albums of the photo. In other words, it seems that the Related Albums feature is unable to determine which virtual albums a photo is assigned when it is viewed from Recent or Random listing of photos. Is this correct?

Note that in my instance of Piwigo, I have Recent and Random photos appear on the Home page. So, it is probable that users will click on the photo from Recent or Random and many more albums will be listed by Related Albums than which the photo is actually related.

#4 2021-07-21 14:42:39

Katryne
2016-12-03

Hello !
Is it possible to specify what is relevant or not in the related albums ?

I understand it might be interesting to list in this menu item :
- other albums where the photo is displayed (though according to the theme or the settings, they may be specified within the photo informations)
- other albums where the same tag appear (though a click on the tag may give the information)

But I think it is not relevant when the photo was displayed within the recent photos, the most viewed, the random photo page, or a search result page : the albums of the other photos generally have no connection with the photo.

In fact, I wonder how the list of "related albums" is computed. Maybe I would then find out the interest of the feature which I haven't spotted yet.

http://photos.katrynou.fr/ v.14.1.0 https://album.chauvigne.info/ v.13.8.0
Système d'exploitation: Linux - Hébergeur 1&1-Ionos PHP: 8.0.28 - MySQL: 5.7.38
Bibliothèque graphique: External ImageMagick 6.9.10-23

Board footer