Announcement

#1 2021-07-28 18:46:32

jmalmsten
2021-07-27

[resolved] Cookies are blocked or not supported by your browser.

Greetings and salutations

I am very close to start sending out links to users for my gallery. But one thing seems to stop me in my tracks.

When I go to the URL mjala211.se/piwigo I do get the login page. But when I enter the username and password I am greeted with

"Cookies are blocked or not supported by your browser. You must enable cookies to log in."

This does confuse me because I am not blocking any cookies.

More info about the setup:

the domain mjala211.se is a domain I am redirecting to my ddns service at levoidddns.synology.me . Piwigo is installed in a subfolder to the root which is why I add the /piwigo to get access.

The thing is, when I do skip that .se domain and open levoidddns.synology.me/piwigo I can log in with no problems.

Googling around I have found clues that it can be an issue with how the cookies are created. So my suspicion is that the cookies are created for "levoidddns.synology.me/piwigo" but when the browser is asked about the cookies it is looking for cookies for "mjala211.se/piwigo". So the browser says it doesn't have any... and piwigo then assumes that the browser has disabled cookies because Piwigo is sure they should be there otherwise.

The logic checks out in my head. But I am not sure how to verify my theory.

So... in short. Am I correct in my diagnosis? And how can I rectify this so that the cookies are created for the right URL?

As a bonus, Can I make the cookies aware what the URL is supposed to be, so I can use both of the URL's when needed?

---
The usual piwigo environment data:

Piwigo 11.5.0 Check for upgrade
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 7.4.9 (Show info) [2021-07-28 18:42:58]
MySQL: 5.5.5-10.3.27-MariaDB [2021-07-28 18:42:58]
Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.9.11-22

---

Piwigo URL: http://mjala211.se/piwigo

#2 2021-07-28 23:29:30

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: [resolved] Cookies are blocked or not supported by your browser.

Your site embeds https://levoidddns.synology.me/piwigo in an iframe, that's most likely not going to work.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2021-07-29 00:14:43

jmalmsten
2021-07-27

Wait... It is?

Well... Carp...

So that's what a web-alias is...

This needs more investigating on my part it seems... and a bit more talking with my domain provider.

#4 2021-07-29 18:13:24

jmalmsten
2021-07-27

Well, that was a pain in the rear...

one.com had no solution it's either redirect of the domain fully to levoidddns.synology.me (including the domain name in the URL bar of the browser) or using a web-alias. Which is their fancy term for embedding my target site in an iframe. No other solutions.

So I have now resorted to going back to just a straight redirect as at least that way cookies work as intended.

Though the agent I talked to fumbled even more and deleted my domain for mjala211.se ... sigh...

oh well. I have my solution, it's not as pretty as I want but it should work once they (one.com) corrects my domain once more. The problem wasn't with Piwigo so I consider this cased closed on this forum for my part.

Maybe one day when cookies are a thing of the past I can resurrect those plans I had. Or maybe my domain provider can find a way to do what I want. But for now. I'll let it be.

/PS
The pain in the rear was my discussion with one.com nothing to do with this here forum. ;)

Board footer