Announcement

#1 2022-01-10 14:38:28

deljones
2012-09-06

Understanding background auto upload with mobile app

Hello all

First of all many thanks to all those doing hard and great work making Piwigo possible. I’ve been using it since it started and it has grown to be an excellent tool.

Recently I have been using the (official) mobile app on iOS but because I’m stupid I don’t quite understand the background auto upload function in iOS so forgive me please.

I have an android device using Qphoto from QNAP. When you take a pic you don’t have to do anything, once you have set up the source and destination it all happens, you take a pic and it appears on your server.

With the Piwigo mobile app on iOS I have set it up and it works. Great. The source and destination are all set, it’s also set to delete the pics as I don’t have much space. All good.

However it’s not ‘fully’ automatic. I have to launch the app and I see a circle with the amount of pictures waiting to upload which start as soon as you open the app.

So I’m guessing the auto upload only works if the app is kept open because of some iOS quirky thing?

I have background refresh set to on on the phone and notification set to on.

Have I missed something or is this the way on iOS?

Again thanks all. Best wishes.

Dj

Piwigo URL: https://derekjones.net/photos

#2 2022-01-10 19:39:30

cryopad
Piwigo Team
Grenoble, France
2015-11-01

Re: Understanding background auto upload with mobile app

Hello Dj,

You are not stupid at all.

The iOS app uses the Background Tasks framework and uploads photos and videos using a BGProcessingTask.

Background uploading is managed by the system and depends on priorities set by the system itself. So the uploads can be performed in the coming hours, during the next night or a few days later. This is decided by the system which establishes priorities based on your device and your Piwigo app usage. The argument is that it is frustrating to not know when iOS will decide to upload more photos but it is even more frustrating to realise that the battery is empty when one needs his device.

The Piwigo iOS app therefore uploads in the background (in sleep mode) only if you let your device connected to a charger. So plug your device to a charger before going to bed and let iOS decides. During the development phase of this background task, the app uploaded up to 500 photos during my sleep but it did not upload photos every night unfortunately.

We could probably improve background uploading by uploading a set of photos gathered in an archive (e.g. a single BGProcessingTask uploading a Zip file) but that would require the development of a new API method. May be @plg or someone else of the server team would accept to code it...

I hope this answers your questions and that it is not too disappointing.

Eddy

If you enjoy Piwigo for iOS…
➤ We would appreciate an AppStore review.
➤ Comments, suggestions ? Tell us on GitHub…
➤ Not yet available in your language ? Help us translate it…

#3 2022-01-10 21:20:50

deljones
2012-09-06

Re: Understanding background auto upload with mobile app

Hi Eddy

Thanks for your time and explanation.

Understood, I think.

I took a whole bunch of pictures after your reply and I'm going to leave my phone charging overnight and see what happens.

I don't mind the fact that if I open the app it starts to upload, then I'm ready to delete from the camera roll as I have it set up, but I was curious about how the "auto-upload" worked.

Thanks very much for your time and the explanation.

Have a great day

Regards

Dj

Board footer