Announcement

#1 2005-12-05 23:19:00

chrisaga
Former Piwigo Team
France (92)
2005-08-10

[Evolution]Upload

Hello !
let's start a topic about specifications of upload feature.
Some folks around seems to be interersted.

Let's start with a single page where the user could upload the normal sized picture, the tumbnail and the big picture.
The big picture would be optional.
The thumbnail would be optional too (computed later from the normal sized picture)
If the normal picture is too big for the site max size, it could become the big one (if not uploaded yet) and a right normal picture would be computed)

cepatre.net
Utilisateur depuis la version 1.3, Impliqué depuis la 1.4, Responsable du template des 1.5 et 1.6  ... et en (in)disponibilité sur la 1.7. J'ai fait l'impasse, et j'ai sauté directement en 2.2.2 !

#2 2005-12-06 19:33:40

chrisaga
Former Piwigo Team
France (92)
2005-08-10

Re: [Evolution]Upload

We started to discuss about upload in another topic and Jackson Yap said the following :

Jackson Yap wrote:

[...]
I am looking for an upload mod that auto resize image to the max size that I allowed and also auto create a thumbnail for it if possible and not always depending on me to create thumbnails.

Another mod which I need will be to allow multiple uploads, and to enable my users to "create" the category they want, so that the category will be created when they upload the photos.

I like phpwebgallery because it is simple, however I also require additional permissions for my users to upload into their proposed category and even upload without permission from me if I have granted their group permission already.
[...]

cepatre.net
Utilisateur depuis la version 1.3, Impliqué depuis la 1.4, Responsable du template des 1.5 et 1.6  ... et en (in)disponibilité sur la 1.7. J'ai fait l'impasse, et j'ai sauté directement en 2.2.2 !

#3 2005-12-06 21:16:59

Jackson Yap

yep.. it will be good if the upload feature can be improved to make it more seamless.. Thanks! :)

#4 2005-12-06 21:35:20

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Jackson Yap wrote:

yep.. it will be good if the upload feature can be improved to make it more seamless.. Thanks! :)

Thanks for your support.
I would like to explain another idea we have linked to upload, so maybe you will appreciate it too.

On the french side of the form, I open the debate on making virtual categories as uploadable.

Logical scheme:

- Add a new directory in /galleries/ as mbr-upload and synchronize.
- Set mbr-upload as locked category
- Create one or more virtual categories and select category mbr-upload as target for upload in virtual categories
- Now when a member wants to upload in a virtual category, le link between the uploaded picture and the virtual category is created.
- When you (or other admins) validate the picture the link is available and the picture viewable in the virtual category.

Benefits: all external upload are in the same directory, you don't need to create others and to synchronize them.

Another idea: Maybe further, a group can create virtual category with a already defined real category target.

Thanks for your reply.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#5 2005-12-06 22:40:25

Jackson Yap

Yep it is good! Do you mean the uploader will be able to specify the virtual directory name that they want too and create it if it is not created yet?

#6 2005-12-06 22:44:58

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Yep, it's exactly what I mean.
Let just chrisaga to see how complex it is.
I am not sure it is.
Need time to implement, need people maybe to code a bit.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#7 2005-12-06 22:46:46

Jackson Yap

Yep, can enable the option of users uploading straight away without admin having to validate.

#8 2005-12-06 23:00:26

chrisaga
Former Piwigo Team
France (92)
2005-08-10

VDigital wrote:

Yep, it's exactly what I mean.
Let just chrisaga to see how complex it is.
I am not sure it is.
Need time to implement, need people maybe to code a bit.

When dealing about these new features, we must be very concerned with security :

- Denial of Service
- Acces management (R/W rights on the categories)
- Roles (wich users can create subcategories, upload pictures, validate pictures, ...)

I'm not very fond of automatic validation : I'm not sure I want to let any one allowed to upload on my gallery to be able to validate what they have uploaded.
I'have some friends that may have a strange sens of humour   ;-)

cepatre.net

#9 2005-12-06 23:08:32

Jackson Yap

Yep I understand what you mean. :) Just wondering if anyone else in interested in improving the upload basic function? Tell me if I can help with anything! thanks! :D

#10 2005-12-06 23:27:22

chrisaga
Former Piwigo Team
France (92)
2005-08-10

We have started a topic like this one in the french section  and a couple of PWG users seems to be interested.

I think that it'll be usefull if someone could write some specification of these evolutions, based on this topic.
Maybe in this forum at first so we can discuss them, then in the wiky.

Could you do this ?

Last edited by chrisaga (2005-12-06 23:27:37)

cepatre.net

#11 2005-12-07 05:54:03

Jackson Yap

Specification:
- Users level able to upload into server default folder, but able to specify 'Virtual Category' that they want the image to be in.
- Users able to upload even into 'Virtual Category' not created by Admin.
- Admin, upon validating the uploads by users, 'Virtual Category' will be created if there isn't, and images to be uploaded into the default upload folder.
- Ability to hide the default upload folder as Users can choose to upload into Virtual Category instead.
- If image is bigger than MAX SIZE that Admin size, Auto Resizing will be done to resize the image to the maximum size set by Admin.
- Thumbnails to be automatically created for every validated uploads by Users.
- Able to specify custom thumbnails for each upload.

Feel free to edit or add to the specification! :)

#12 2005-12-16 13:51:54

chrisaga
Former Piwigo Team
France (92)
2005-08-10

Thanks Jackson !

No other english speaking user interested in this topic ?
Are these specifications complete yet ?

cepatre.net

#13 2006-01-16 07:41:32

szabot
2006-01-16

Hello!

I have an upload problem. I usning PWG 1.5.2. The max picture size in the HTTP upload menu is 800x800. Where can I change these values?

B.R:

SzaboT

#14 2006-01-16 08:32:11

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

1- Make a copy of include/config_default.inc.php
    Name it as include/config_local.inc.php
2- in that one (local), comments are in French (a bit surprising we know),
    but parameters name are in English (Are they clear enough?) ,
    so please update as you want:

Code:

// upload_maxfilesize: poids maximum des images à télécharger, en kilo
// octets.
$conf['upload_maxfilesize'] = 200;

// upload_maxheight : hauteur maximum des images à télécharger, en pixels.
$conf['upload_maxheight'] = 800;

// upload_maxwidth : largeur maximum des images à télécharger, en pixels.
$conf['upload_maxwidth'] = 800;

8-)

#15 2006-01-17 11:16:44

szabot
2006-01-16

Thanks! I already found this but thanks again!

Board footer