Announcement

#1 2006-01-23 01:41:02

John

Re-ordering pictures

Hi,

How do you re-order your pictures?

I've uploaded and categorised them the way I want but they are not in the order I want.

I cant seem to figure out a way to reorder the individual pictures.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, John.

#2 2006-01-23 06:16:14

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: Re-ordering pictures

Copy include/config_default.inc.php
as     include/config_local.inc.php

Make all your changes in include/config_local.inc.php, it's just overide default.

Which parameter? At the begining, you'll find this:

Code:

// order_by : how to change the order of display for images in a category ?
//
// There are several fields that can order the display :
//
//  - date_available : the date of the adding to the gallery
//  - file : the name of the file
//  - id : element identifier
//  - date_creation : date of element creation
//
// Once you've chosen which field(s) to use for ordering, you must chose the
// ascending or descending order for each field.  examples :
//
// 1. $conf['order_by'] = " order by date_available desc, file asc";
//    will order pictures by date_available descending & by filename ascending
//
// 2. $conf['order_by'] = " order by file asc";
//    will only order pictures by file ascending without taking into account
//    the date_available
$conf['order_by'] = ' ORDER BY date_available DESC, file ASC, id ASC';

Need more, see Configuration

Enjoy PWG !!!

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2006-01-23 07:50:02

John

Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean I cannot put the pictures in the order I want?

The files have been edited at different times so I cannot get them into chronological order with any of those parameters.

#4 2006-01-23 08:18:58

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

ORDER BY name
for example

everthing is possible depending what you want...

When you visit your gallery (Admin user only), you have a tool to "Modify informations about a picture".
There you have in "Properties", a "Name" field.
Name is used in picture page above the picture, in category page under the thumbnail.
Anything can also be hidden on any page, then if you want to order on name...

You can edit IPTC field of your picture (before upload).
You can rename files to obtain the order you want.
You can...

Generally, people want to have most recent picture at the begining of their gallery,
so visitors can see new pictures first, so they use:

Code:

$conf['order_by'] = " order by date_available desc, file asc";

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#5 2006-01-23 09:27:54

UpTheToon
2006-01-23

ok, thanks.

I guess I can order them alphabetically now that they are already uploaded.

Cheers, John.

#6 2012-01-19 06:17:34

Dougdo

No way to easily order photos arbitrarily? Really? This was a must have for me. Would really appreciate this feature being considered for a future version.

#7 2012-01-19 15:47:25

lisaviolet
san diego, california
2011-01-03

Dougdo wrote:

No way to easily order photos arbitrarily? Really? This was a must have for me. Would really appreciate this feature being considered for a future version.

Yes, you can reorder them manually. I like mine to be newest date created first, then by the time of the oldest first, so they're in the order I took them. But Piwigo will NOT do this (at least for me), no matter how I play with the settings. It always has the newest date, newest picture, which doesn't help when you've taken photos in a series.

So, manually it is.

Admin > Albums > Manage > Album > Edit Album (little tool set at the right) > Manage Photo Ranks (dots, arrow at top, under album name) > Click and drag to reorder > choose "manual order" at the bottom > Click "submit"

#8 2012-01-19 16:40:47

Billr
Piwigo Team, forum moderator
2011-06-22

The only problem I've found with this method is that I have two listing of pictures on each category page: one is Cooliris and the other is the standard thumbnails block.  I can get the standard thumbnails block to look the way I want it but the Cooliris block always shows the pictures as newest first.  There's no way to make that match the setup in the other block.

The only way I've found so far to get them both to show the same order of photos is to upload the pictures one at a time in the reverse order I want them in.  But this is painfully slow when I have a lot of photos.

#9 2012-01-19 17:00:46

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Does it help if I say I've planned to add a button on the "manage photo order" page : "save the automatic order as manual order"?

For example, you define automatic order as "sort by creation date ascending", then you save this sort order as manual sort order and then you can manually sort for small changes.

#10 2012-01-19 19:13:50

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

plg wrote:

Does it help if I say I've planned to add a button on the "manage photo order" page : "save the automatic order as manual order"?

For example, you define automatic order as "sort by creation date ascending", then you save this sort order as manual sort order and then you can manually sort for small changes.

Yes PLEASE !

#11 2012-01-19 19:29:32

lisaviolet
san diego, california
2011-01-03

plg wrote:

I asked in a different thread why the time stamp doesn't show in the exif file. I think the missing time stamp is why I can't get them sorted in the order I want them sorted in.

I get the date, no problem. But the actual time of the photo is missing.

#12 2012-01-25 02:41:07

felicityphoenix

Hi Piwigo-people! I'm new here--in fact, I'm a total Piwigo 'virgin'! I've nefver uploaded pictures before and I find it all new and intriguing. But i'm having the same problem as those above not knowing how to put my pics in order after they are loaded. I AM a fast learner, however, so if some nice, understanding person could just walk me through the 'putting the pictures in order' process, I'd be SOO grateful!

#13 2012-01-30 11:49:40

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi felicityphoenix,

felicityphoenix wrote:

[...] if some nice, understanding person could just walk me through the 'putting the pictures in order' process, I'd be SOO grateful!

Check [Forum, post 127174 by lisaviolet in topic 5554] Re-ordering pictures and you'll know where the "manage photo sort order" screen is.

#14 2014-08-16 18:30:46

PolyWogg

lisaviolet wrote:

Admin > Albums > Manage > Album > Edit Album (little tool set at the right) > Manage Photo Ranks (dots, arrow at top, under album name) > Click and drag to reorder > choose "manual order" at the bottom > Click "submit"

Thanks for this, I can't believe how long I looked for and was just NOT finding it. I knew it was there as I'd seen it, but I pulled up individual photos, managed overall albums, clicked about 30 different screens and was starting to think I just saw it as a plugin that I hadn't installed. Finally googled it to get here...

Glad to know I wasn't completely deranged - it does exist!

Paul

#15 2015-03-28 06:48:47

fj

What does "little tool set at right" mean?  Trying to make sense out of this...

Board footer