•  » Leave Gna and host the Subversion repository on our server

#1 2009-03-05 01:27:24

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Leave Gna and host the Subversion repository on our server

Hi Piwigo dev team,

I've planned in the near future to move the Subversion (SVN) repository from Gna! to piwigo.org. Once this done, only 2 mailing-list will remain and I will also move them (in a way or another, certainly not as mailing-list, more as newsletters). Piwigo project will leave Gna.

Why?

1. because Gna quality of service is constantly decreasing. In the last weeks, Subversion server has been down several times, for example 2 times because of a "not space left on device". The repository should be dumped every night so that I can make backups, but the cron tasks seems to have stopped 8 months ago (and they don't seem to take my support request in consideration)

2. because I would like to create a "forge" (sometimes it's called a "lab"), ie a place where extension developers will host their source code, next to their "Piwigo coworkers" :-) This way they will increase their visibility (which is a nice thing in the opensource world) and it will make more obvious that plugins are in constant evolution. So the idea is to have the same Subversion repository for Piwigo core and Piwigo extensions. I will install a Trac to follow the timeline, tickets, source code browsing. I will open another discussion about this later.

3. because we have the resources (Typhon offers a dedicated server) and the skills (I'm a Subversion administrator)

When?

Within next few weeks.

How?

We already have a svnsynced mirror of the official Subversion repository, so it will be easy to setup the repository itself.

Then every core team members will have to send me the htpasswd string for their own authentication. You can use the online password generation and encryption for .htpasswd files which is really nice (no data transmitted to their server).

#2 2009-03-05 06:58:20

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: Leave Gna and host the Subversion repository on our server

Exellent!

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2009-03-05 08:38:31

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

:-)

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#4 2009-03-05 10:53:47

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

And what do you think about switching to an another source control ? I think about git or mercurial.
I used git for several months and I cannot switch back to subversion.

If you want more details or help to install it ou try it tell me. I I have a dedicated server and I install git and trac-git (plugin for trac to see git repositories).

During the last weeks I used git in front of subversion to commit in piwigo. But I think It's not a good thing.

If you try it you  will adopt it. Trust me

#5 2009-03-05 13:59:14

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

+1

Sorry for gna, which was a nice initiative.

What are our traffic conditions at Typhon ?

#6 2009-03-05 15:28:26

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

mathiasm wrote:

A very nice initiative made by two of my collegues !

Mathiasm, what do you think about distributed control version system like git, mercurial, bazaar,... ?

#7 2009-03-06 00:43:11

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

mathiasm wrote:

I stay on Gna! for the PEM project (the web application behind the Extension Manager). I like the service they are providing. The most important reason of this move is to have better control so that we can make a forge.

mathiasm wrote:

What are our traffic conditions at Typhon ?

I don't know, but there should be no problem, Subversion repository should not take much traffic (compared to the forum or the demo).

#8 2009-03-06 00:51:31

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

nicolas wrote:

And what do you think about switching to an another source control ? I think about git or mercurial.

Personnaly, if I changed for a distributed version control system, I would choose Git because I've found a lot of documentation and many tools related to it.

Now concerning the Piwigo project, I have a doubt it will be "easy" for everyone to switch to a distributed VCS. Concepts are pleasant but more complex, and specifically for the forge, I would prefer to keep Subversion.

The other important fact is that I'm a Subversion expert but not a Git expert (yet). I would be happy to learn and discover this working method, but I don't have the time right now and I would prefer to focus on the forge infrastructure. I propose that we simply postpone the "SVN to Git" switch :-)

#9 2009-03-06 09:34:38

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

plg wrote:

I would be happy to learn and discover this working method, but I don't have the time right now and I would prefer to focus on the forge infrastructure. I propose that we simply postpone the "SVN to Git" switch :-)

You're right, git is more complex but so much powerful than subversion. In a first step you can use git like subversion ignoring index (staging area), local branches, ...

But I understand your hesitation. Try to use git in front of subversion to commit in piwigo. You will discover it and you will like it and the switch will be sooner! I have an another raison to switch to git : the forge. It's so easy to create new project.

#10 2009-04-16 00:30:06

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I've closed Subversion on Gna for Piwigo project (step 1 in our complete move from Gna)

http://piwigo.org/svn is the new Subversion repository location

Team members, send me your "htpasswd string" if you want to get your write access back :-) (already done for rub and ddtddt)

#11 2009-04-16 00:51:12

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

nicolas wrote:

Try to use git in front of subversion to commit in piwigo.

Currently I'm using SVK as SVN frontend. Advantages of SVK over SVN are:

- no ".svn" directories everywhere
- "svk log" is much faster than "svn log" because the whole SVN repository is mirrored on my machine
- "svk smerge" automatically merges revisions from a branch to another in a smart way

#12 2009-04-16 09:55:30

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

plg wrote:

nicolas wrote:

Try to use git in front of subversion to commit in piwigo.

Currently I'm using SVK as SVN frontend. Advantages of SVK over SVN are:

- no ".svn" directories everywhere
- "svk log" is much faster than "svn log" because the whole SVN repository is mirrored on my machine
- "svk smerge" automatically merges revisions from a branch to another in a smart way

So read that :
http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html (intro to git for svk users)

#13 2009-04-16 23:56:08

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

nicolas wrote:

So read that : http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html (intro to git for svk users)

Thank you nicolas. I've printed it and I'll read it in the train :-)

#14 2009-04-17 00:00:30

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Ron has commited a new revision on the old Subversion repository. I think he was not in my notification email (sorry for this Ron).

As I had disabled the "Subversion service" in Gna! administration console, I thought we would not be able to commit any longer, but I was wrong :-/ To avoid any other problem, I've removed all the content from old repository and added a README file:

Piwigo source code repository has moved to http://piwigo.org/svn

Please find more details on http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14907

Then I patched the new repository with Ron new revision : [Subversion] r3241 (I have to update the forum source code to link on new source code browser location, see [Forum, topic 15007] Subversion new location and Trac available)

#15 2009-04-17 00:04:59

stripy
Former Piwigo Team
2007-11-26

plg wrote:

Then every core team members will have to send me the htpasswd string for their own authentication. You can use the online password generation and encryption for .htpasswd files which is really nice (no data transmitted to their server).

:-/
Do I have to send you smthg ?
If yes, please, tell me what and how to do it, because I don't know ...

•  » Website
  •  » Leave Gna and host the Subversion repository on our server

Board footer