Announcement

#1 2009-03-05 14:00:20

Lykaon

Comments Time

Am I just stupid, or is there no way to configure a local timezone with Piwigo?  The comment post time area all being displayed in GMT.  Storing the times as GMT makes perfect sense, but is there no way to specify my timezone so that they display a time that is a bit more useful for my users?

Thanks

#2 2009-03-06 00:32:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Comments Time

Excellent remark, and I admit that in many years the timezone issue has been a problem only once, for a user transfering his database from a US hosting to a European hosting (so his history log had a 9h shift).

The right way to handle this issue is to store datetimes in UTC and apply the shift for each user depending his timezone. Storing the UTC datetime is quite simple, but adding a timezone setting for each is a bit more complex (but absolutely possible).

What's your opinion about this implementation?

May I ask you to create a feature request in the bugtracker?

#3 2009-03-06 13:11:48

Lykaon

Thanks for the reply!

I wouldn't say that displaying times in UTC is really a problem exactly; it's just more of an inconvenience.  I like that it stores times in UTC because that's the most consistent time to store.

As far as implementation, it makes sense to me that it would be a setting for the user to customize just like their theme, etc.  Then when showing them comments, the software could adjust the time accordingly.

The benefit of that is also that the administrator could set a time zone that would be the default case for guests and new users (just as he does with the theme).  In my case, I have far more guests than users so I could just set it to EST and that's what everyone would see.

I'm sure it's not as easy to implement as it sounds, but I think it would be a nice feature.  I will file a feature request as you suggest.  Thanks for taking the time to talk about this issue.

#4 2009-03-07 00:16:48

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

thank you Lykaon for [Bugtracker] ticket 932

Board footer