Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Status of Piwigo-WordPress Integration project?

#1 2009-07-27 04:24:47

Spooktalker
2009-02-26

Status of Piwigo-WordPress Integration project?

I have been following Piwigo since it's release with a strong interest in integrating it with WordPress.

I was especially excited back in February reading this exchange ([Forum, topic 14644] Wordpress integration problems...):

xphilippe wrote:

And when the integration with Wordpress 2.7 is expected?

plg wrote:

It's a project. So in the weeks after Piwigo 2.0.0 launch, we will discuss about how Piwigo and WordPress should be integrated. I don't know yet what implementation will result of this discussion. A plugin? A special build? Changes in Piwigo core? I don't know yet.

I've searched for a followup since then but haven't heard any word. Has this conversation kept going? Can you say is there a WordPress plugin/special build etc in the works, and if so, when it may see the light of day? Also, if there is no current plans, are there any resources that could help me do a basic integration myself (any sites that already do this)? I know some PHP but would not be about to do it unless following in someone's footsteps.

Many thanks for your replay. I would love to put Piwigo's powerful back end to work on my wordpress site, as the popular gallery solutions for WP fail for my needs.

Last edited by Spooktalker (2009-07-27 04:25:31)

#2 2009-07-27 23:11:36

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Status of Piwigo-WordPress Integration project?

You know what? WordPress integration is my next (I mean the current one) priority for Piwigo.

To tell the truth, nothing has be done since the launch of Piwigo 2.0. Let's start it right now.

So, Spooktalker, what is your needs? please answer in [Forum, topic 15258] WordPress and Piwigo living together

Also, if there is no current plans, are there any resources that could help me do a basic integration myself (any sites that already do this)? I know some PHP but would not be about to do it unless following in someone's footsteps.

Thank you for the offer of contributing on code. Count on me to help you. But let's start to define what's the need :-) then we will see who can do what.

Many thanks for your replay. I would love to put Piwigo's powerful back end to work on my wordpress site, as the popular gallery solutions for WP fail for my needs.

That's interesting to me: what Piwigo does that other photo gallery solutions for WordPress do not? (this way I know how to "advertise" Piwigo for Wordpress users :-D

#3 2009-08-02 05:31:12

Spooktalker
2009-02-26

plg,

Please pardon me for this late reply--I'm sorry about that.

plg wrote:

You know what? WordPress integration is my next (I mean the current one) priority for Piwigo.

To tell the truth, nothing has be done since the launch of Piwigo 2.0. Let's start it right now.

So, Spooktalker, what is your needs? please answer in [Forum, topic 15258] WordPress and Piwigo living together

Great news to hear WordPress integration is your current project! :) Also, thanks for pointing me to that thread. I did a search for WordPress threads here but missed that one. I will post a more detailed reply to that thread as soon as I have a chance.

plg wrote:

Thank you for the offer of contributing on code. Count on me to help you. But let's start to define what's the need :-) then we will see who can do what.

Oh no, I guess it does look like I was volunteering, doesn't it! :) To tell the truth, I would very much like to help with the project, but I'm not sure my skills are up to the level of working on an "official" plugin. They are limited to one university course and some tinkering with existing scripts. Still, if it's possible my skills would be helpful, it would be a great opportunity for me to improve. I don't think I would be able to work to any deadline, though. I would have to fit it in with my work, school, and countless other projects!

plg wrote:

That's interesting to me: what Piwigo does that other photo gallery solutions for WordPress do not? (this way I know how to "advertise" Piwigo for Wordpress users :-D

In two words: virtual galleries. Every other gallery solution is stuck in logic from the world of paper photographs. In the physical world, a picture is limited to existing in a single "album". Not so in a digital world, but every gallery solution imposes this artificial constraint. Implemented intelligently, Piwigo allows "faceted classification", that is the user can explore the pictures along any of several offered dimensions, or facets--virtual categories that act like preset search strings. Faceted classification has been with us at least since Ranganathan's Colon Classification was published in 1933, and it's the defacto way items are offered for sale in an online store (i.e. you can shop by such facets as price, brand, department). And yet I keep waiting for my WordPress plugins to climb out of the primitive logic of organizing physical items! :)

Really, I was on a quest to find a gallery that allowed faceted classification and it was nothing but dissappointment until I found Piwigo (actually, I found PHP Web Gallery first before discovering the new version). Anyway, I would definitely advertise the virtual galleries and explain the benefit. Now a picture isn't limited to a single gallery, say, "Joe and Dianne's Wedding". Now that same picture can also be found in the galleries "2009", "Joe and Dianne" "Our Favorite Pictures" etc.

If I'm going to list a second advantage it's the ease of uploading/the ability of Piwigo to read picture metadata. Actually, some other solutions are catching up in this regard (NextGen gallery), but many are still horrible (Flickr).

There are other things I like about Piwigo, but those are the big two.

So, thanks very much for the reply and I'll collect my thoughts for the thread you pointed to.

#4 2009-08-16 22:35:46

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Spooktalker wrote:

Please pardon me for this late reply--I'm sorry about that.

I'm just coming back from holidays. Nice to read your answer.

Spooktalker wrote:

Oh no, I guess it does look like I was volunteering, doesn't it! :) To tell the truth, I would very much like to help with the project, but I'm not sure my skills are up to the level of working on an "official" plugin.

"Contributing" doesn't only mean "coding". Specifying, testing, giving feedback, supporting on the forum, advertising, translating... are other ways to contribute, and they are really appreciated :-)

Spooktalker wrote:

plg wrote:

In two words: virtual galleries. [...very interesting description...]

I really like indeed the logical organization that can be separated from the physical organization. This is a very old feature (2003 if I remember well, and at that time I was very proud of it :-)

Spooktalker wrote:

If I'm going to list a second advantage it's the ease of uploading/the ability of Piwigo to read picture metadata. Actually, some other solutions are catching up in this regard (NextGen gallery), but many are still horrible (Flickr).

OK, I would be pleased to read more details about this advantage. Which uploading way do you use? (the "pLoader way" or the "FTP way"). For me this advantage is a bit "unexpected" as long as we discuss about the "FTP way". It's a powerful way, but not easy enough.

Spooktalker wrote:

There are other things I like about Piwigo, but those are the big two.

Don't hesitate to write about them if you think they have enough value for a "photo gallery" comparison.

#5 2010-09-03 13:23:34

irohaproject
Translation Team
Oita, Japon
1970-01-01

As far as I know Piwigo differs from most other wordpress galleries is that Piwigo is self hosted (The best reason I can think of) most wordpress plugins interact with hosted photo galleries like cinopa,  flicker, picasa where all photos are hosted and bound to someone else's TOS that means they have control of your photos. At piwigo my photos are on my server and I am 100% in control - That is why I like piwigo
To this date I didn't know there was a wordpress plugin and I am very happy there is one thank you and hope it continues. If anyone would like I am available to translate the wordpress plugin to Japanese.

Update: I just installed PiwigoPress 1.04 and it works error free on wordpress 3.01 not pretty to my liking (if there was a way to make the thumbnails view horizontally would be nice) but it's free and has no errors so I am not complaining. Demo here: www.sanamionline.net/blog

Last edited by irohaproject (2010-09-03 14:05:15)

Looking for a job in software/hardware localization, video production
Check out my resume @ http://www.sanamionline.net/cv
www.Liangcha.org www.ProjectH2O.org www.IrohaProject.org

#6 2010-09-03 14:32:24

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

what Piwigo does that other photo gallery solutions for WordPress do not?

really: virtual galleries, the killer feature

the best, but also the biggest (ram ressource eating) solution for galleiys in wordpress is nextgen, the only thing i miss in nextgen... virtual galleries

a piwigo plugin with the capabilities and wordpress integration like nextgen was a dream   ...:-)

#7 2010-09-03 14:40:26

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

mol wrote:

what Piwigo does that other photo gallery solutions for WordPress do not?

really: virtual galleries, the killer feauture

OK. When you mean "virtual galleries" ("categories" in fact), you mean:

1) the ability to link a photo to several categories?
2) the ability to reorganize categories without worrying about filesystem?
3) both?
4) something else?

#8 2010-09-03 14:47:37

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

1) the ability to link a photo to several categories?
2) the ability to reorganize categories without worrying about filesystem?

all of it!

#9 2011-02-16 19:28:06

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

•  » Extensions
  •  » Status of Piwigo-WordPress Integration project?

Board footer