Announcement

#1 2009-03-23 14:10:08

nocrack

Auto Resize

Hi there,

I just wonder why pictures are not resized automatically following your screen resolution when you display them. I've got a 1900x1200 screen resolution, some people still 1024*768. This is a quite big difference, and when I resized my pictures, I tried to have them to fit on my resolution ...
I think this is the biggest missing feature on this gallery ! this is shame, because it's also my favourite one and probably one of the best.
I'm sure it's not really difficult to implement this feature with some javascript, but I can't do it though.
Maybe I didn't check correctly and there is already a plugin ?
Is anyone fancy such a feature ?

#2 2009-03-23 21:49:24

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: Auto Resize

Are you sure you need a plugin?

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2009-03-23 22:47:32

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

The automatic resize does not exist by default. You can add photos with a 1000*1000 (max) resolution and each user can ask to display a maximum width and maximum height. The resize will be made at web browser level, so it may be poor quality.

A project has started to provide a slideshow where "web resized" photo would fit into the screen (javascript resized if necessary) and the photo is centered in the web browser window:

http://bacasable.fr/piwigo/picture.php? … slideshow=

I send an email to the author to know when he can distribute his template with the auto resize javascript function

#4 2009-03-24 00:27:00

nocrack

Good news ! At least there is something going on.
Let me kmow the answer ! I hope it's going to be released soon !

#5 2009-05-31 11:55:37

mamac
2009-05-31

Hi guys,

Any news about this topic?
Because my slideshows look like this: http://rigolus77.free.fr/photos/picture … slideshow=

Not really good, thoug!

Thank you

#6 2009-08-05 11:30:43

Fredrik

To bad that he does not respond to e-mail.

I would really like the automatic resizing functionality. This would make me be able to leave Gallery which does not really do what I want it to do.

Please try to reach him again, would be so great to have his stuff available to others!

#7 2009-08-05 20:28:11

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

Fredrik wrote:

I would really like the automatic resizing functionality. This would make me be able to leave Gallery which does not really do what I want it to do.

Please try to reach him again, would be so great to have his stuff available to others!

Does Gallery implement a such functionality ?

This kind of functionality is something hard to implement..

Solution 1
Do resizing on the client side :
* why downloading a 6Mb file size to be displayed in a 800x600 screen size ?
* quality with resizing made by browser could give poor result ; all browser don't have good algorithms

Solution 2
Do resizing on the server side :
* CPU of server will be used to much
      - on a shared server, you will be tilted 
* so to reduce CPU usage, we can using a cache system where picture will be saved in different resolution
      - but if you have more than 10000 photos
      - users with different screen sizes
      CPU will be used again
      Cache will become bigger and bigger
* Try to convert a 6Mb picture file with GD2 in a PHP script : the process probably stop because an "out of memory" error
This kind of solution is only for people who have a dedicated server (in most case, a professional online gallery provider)

Solution 3
Do resizing on the admin client side, before uploading pictures (upload "small" "medium" and "large" size for example)
* with a pLoader usage it could be easier to imagine this (pLoader can easily make 3 different sized picture before uploading)
* without a ploader usage (like FTP) user have to make manually all sample size

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#8 2009-08-05 20:28:48

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

Fredrik wrote:

?

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#9 2009-08-06 23:43:37

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

PFor your information about Gallery 2: http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Image_Size_Settings
Resizing is not browser-dependent, but you can generate as many as you want for a single item.

Edit: My personal opinion is that not so many people will do more than two intermediate sizes, considering the original is a HR one.

HTH

#10 2009-08-08 00:36:44

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

For Fredrik: Gallery 2 doesn't do what nocrack asked for. If you just want many intermediate sizes between thumbnails and HR, please monitor [Forum, topic 15163] Download resized images . saqwild did it. There may be some work to make it a decent plugin, but the core is here.

Board footer