Announcement

#1 2009-12-25 19:23:17

toexist
The Woodlands, TX
2009-12-25

all the metadata

If you go to my installation of piwigo at http://pics.pierre-rousseau.net you will see that only a few lines of exif data are available at the pictures.

How do I show all the exif data?

Pierre.

Last edited by toexist (2009-12-25 19:24:07)

#2 2009-12-25 19:58:29

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: all the metadata

[extension by Piwigo Team] LocalFiles Editor
Install & Activate

When ready LocalFiles Editor on the first (Config) tab, add the following code inside:

Code:

$conf['show_exif_fields'] = array(
'exif_field_Make'       => 'Make',
'exif_field_Model'       => 'Model',
'exif_field_ExposureTime'     => 'ExposureTime',
'exif_field_FocalLength'     => 'FocalLength', 
'exif_field_FNumber'       => 'FNumber',
'exif_field_ExposureBiasValue'     => 'ExposureBiasValue',
'exif_field_ISOSpeedRatings'     => 'ISOSpeedRatings',
'exif_field_DateTimeOriginal'     => 'DateTimeOriginal',
'exif_field_ExposureProgram'     => 'ExposureProgram',
'exif_field_Make'       => 'Make',
'exif_field_Model'       => 'Model',
'exif_field_ExposureTime'     => 'ExposureTime',
'exif_field_FocalLength'     => 'FocalLength', 
'exif_field_FNumber'       => 'FNumber',
'exif_field_ExposureBiasValue'     => 'ExposureBiasValue',
'exif_field_ISOSpeedRatings'     => 'ISOSpeedRatings',
'exif_field_DateTimeOriginal'     => 'DateTimeOriginal',
'exif_field_TakenDate'     => 'TakenDate',
'exif_field_ModeArray'       => 'ModeArray',
'exif_field_SelfTimer'       => 'SelfTimer',
'exif_field_ImageQuality'     => 'ImageQuality',
'exif_field_Flash'      => 'Flash',
'exif_field_Drive'       => 'Drive',
'exif_field_FocusMode'       => 'FocusMode',
'exif_field_ImageSize'      => 'ImageSize',
'exif_field_EasyShootingMode'     => 'EasyShootingMode',
'exif_field_Contrast'      => 'Contrast',
'exif_field_Saturation'     => 'Saturation',
'exif_field_Sharpness'       => 'Sharpness',
'exif_field_MeteringMode'     => 'MeteringMode',
'exif_field_MinFocal'       => 'MinFocal',
'exif_field_MaxFocal'       => 'MaxFocal',
'exif_field_FlashActivity'     => 'FlashActivity',
'exif_field_Stabilization'     => 'Stabilization',
'exif_field_SpotMeteringMode'     => 'SpotMeteringMode'
);

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2009-12-25 21:12:15

toexist
The Woodlands, TX
2009-12-25

Great! It appears to work! Thank you very much so far.
refer http://pics.pierre-rousseau.net/picture … ategory/26 as example to confirm if it does.

A few more questions:

1)
a) How do I add lens information,? ... because the lens here is a modern lens (Pentax 10-17mm fisheye) with electronic connection to the camera, and it should show.
b) So in general, why is all of the metadata not yet there, for instance, lens information and also some of the lines in the code you gave me in the previous post?

2)
How do I make relevant information in normal format, i.e. FocalLength 10mm instead of 10/1 and FNumber f/4.5 instead of 45/10?

3) Do you plan to have a camera database like at http://www.pbase.com/cameras ?

In case you do, it would be outstanding if you could include a query of photos of specific camera-lens combinations.

An example of a clean exif data display at my pbase site: http://www.pbase.com/pierresphotography … amp;exif=Y
Maybe the lens information cannot be php'ed from the exif data. Maybe Piwigo will need a database of all lenses manufactured, so the user can include them?

Last edited by toexist (2009-12-25 21:39:32)

Notice: Undefined offset: 130 in /var/www/piwigo.org/forum/include/parser.php on line 509

Notice: Undefined offset: 130 in /var/www/piwigo.org/forum/include/parser.php on line 510

#4 2009-12-26 01:05:50

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi toexist,

Very interesting topics concerning EXIF metadata (let's say it's a EXIF specific topic, because we're only talking about technical metadata such as camera parameters)

toexist wrote:

1)
a) How do I add lens information,? ... because the lens here is a modern lens (Pentax 10-17mm fisheye) with electronic connection to the camera, and it should show.
b) So in general, why is all of the metadata not yet there, for instance, lens information and also some of the lines in the code you gave me in the previous post?

Take one of your photos and copy it in the "tools" directory with the name "sample.jpg". Then open http://pics.pierre-rousseau.net/tools/metadata.php you will see all EXIF metadata in your picture and find the ones you want to be displayed. Once you have the name of the property, you "just" have to add it in the $conf['show_exif_fields'] array.

The process is very "basic&manual", sorry for this, we have several steps to walk before reaching the ideal user interface. I have already investigated how the same job (displaying EXIF infos) was performed in other "concurrent" scripts and in general the basic configuration is much better but you can't tune as fine as in Piwigo. I think Piwigo needs:

1. a better default configuration
2. a user interface to select which metadata to display (tools/metadata.php is just not enough)

toexist wrote:

2) How do I make relevant information in normal format, i.e. FocalLength 10mm instead of 10/1 and FNumber f/4.5 instead of 45/10?

EX-FTB made a great job in [extension by ] but as the plugin title says, it's only for Canon models :-/

This is a feature that should be available for as many lenses as possible (Canon is nice, but so is Pentax).

grum (Piwigo team core member) has a Pentax K20D http://photos.grum.fr/picture.php?/4577/list/4577 and I can't see if he improved the display of EXIF metadata because he didn't change the default $conf['show_exif_fields'] I suppose.

toexist wrote:

3) Do you plan to have a camera database like at http://www.pbase.com/cameras ?

In case you do, it would be outstanding if you could include a query of photos of specific camera-lens combinations.

I recently (mid-december) have made some tests to import a 600 photos set with several cameras/lenses. Producing dozens of combinations. I imported the camera/lens information as tags. This way I could perform combination, and it's really terrific. I can't show you the photos (legal restrictions) but I can show you the tag cloud and 2 combinations.

Notice: Undefined offset: 130 in /var/www/piwigo.org/forum/include/parser.php on line 509

Notice: Undefined offset: 130 in /var/www/piwigo.org/forum/include/parser.php on line 510

#5 2009-12-26 08:12:15

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

plg wrote:

EX-FTB made a great job in [extension by ] but as the plugin title says, it's only for Canon models :-/

And it isn't a plugin but a simple and poor MOD.
Could broadly be improved, I mean.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#6 2009-12-26 13:11:43

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

plg wrote:

grum (Piwigo team core member) has a Pentax K20D http://photos.grum.fr/picture.php?/4577/list/4577 and I can't see if he improved the display of EXIF metadata because he didn't change the default $conf['show_exif_fields'] I suppose.

Hi
For now, I do not have time to look into the management of metadata but I do not despair of being able to take time one day!
With tools like EXIV2 or ExifTool I can see there are lots of interesting information available for which the functions offered by PHP does not seem to allow extraction. I had already started looking for dedicated framework to analyze the metadata, I would have put me seriously ...

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#7 2009-12-30 22:57:57

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Several months ago, I made some investigation about "how to improve" EXIF metadata display. The most interesting result was Exifer: http://www.offsky.com/software/exif/index.php which is now maintained by the ZenPhoto project. I also noticed that "Menalto Gallery" project was using the very same "EXIF extractor". In my opinion, using exifer and collaborating with ZenPhoto sounds relevant in this case.

http://www.zenphoto.org/trac/browser/trunk/zp-core/exif

grum wrote:

With tools like EXIV2 or ExifTool I can see there are lots of interesting information available for which the functions offered by PHP does not seem to allow extraction. I had already started looking for dedicated framework to analyze the metadata, I would have put me seriously ...

EXIV2 and ExifTool are command line tools, right? So what I understand is that you've have read their source code to know how to create a PHP class which would do the same job, am I still right?

#8 2009-12-31 00:00:44

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

Just for your information, what Digikam uses is on this page :
http://www.digikam.org/drupal/sharedlibs

My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

#9 2010-01-01 17:47:45

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

plg wrote:

Several months ago, I made some investigation about "how to improve" EXIF metadata display. The most interesting result was Exifer: http://www.offsky.com/software/exif/index.php which is now maintained by the ZenPhoto project. I also noticed that "Menalto Gallery" project was using the very same "EXIF extractor". In my opinion, using exifer and collaborating with ZenPhoto sounds relevant in this case.

http://www.zenphoto.org/trac/browser/trunk/zp-core/exif

grum wrote:

EXIV2 and ExifTool are command line tools, right? So what I understand is that you've have read their source code to know how to create a PHP class which would do the same job, am I still right?

yes it's right.
EXIV2 & Exiftools are command tools, respectively written in C++ and Perl. I think EXIV2 exists as a dll, may be loadable in PHP, but it's not a solution.
So, I have take a look on the sources codes an I have read the EXIF specifications (http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF)
I'm currently coding a classe to exploit all the metadata types (EXIF, GPS and XMP). When the class will be finished, I will code a plugin to exploit them...

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#10 2010-01-18 14:42:08

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

#11 2011-02-21 09:11:24

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Did you use LocalFiles Editor ?

Which version of Piwigo?

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#12 2011-02-22 20:17:49

TechCoder

plg wrote:

Take one of your photos and copy it in the "tools" directory with the name "sample.jpg". Then open metadata.php you will see all EXIF metadata in your picture and find the ones you want to be displayed. Once you have the name of the property, you "just" have to add it in the $conf['show_exif_fields'] array.

I'm new to Piwigo, installed last week and though moving forward rapidly, am really confused as to why I cannot get this one bit of metadata to show up. 

Tools/metadata.php EASILY reads the info I want (several other programs didn't find it), though how do I get it to show up on my pictures?

The data I want, in this case, is "Clark", found in the EXIF [WINXP][Keywords] area.  I tried adding it as above (plus info in config_default.inc.php), though still not in my pictures.
$conf['show_exif_fields'] = array(
  'Make',
  'Model',
  'DateTimeOriginal',
  'COMPUTED;ApertureFNumber',
  'WINXP;Keywords'
  );

I'm working on this as a project for my sister, who is big into genealogy and wants to have family pictures all set before our reunion in a couple months.  She already has 'tagged' (her term, which is what it is called in Windows Photo Gallery) over 12,000 photos and wants to get them online. 

She also wants to search the database to find any/all pictures with this data.  As there are HUNDREDS of these in the pictures, I don't think 'tags' (as defined by Piwigo) is really the right thing.

So far, we really like Piwigo as an 'interface' - much better than me writing it myself!

TWO QUESTIONS:
Just what steps do I need to get 'Clark' out of this data???
How do I make sure it is searchable??

Thanks in advance!

=====================================
Info Returned from tools/metadata.php
=====================================
no IPTC information

EXIF Fields in Luckys_1st_week_with_us.JPG

Array
(
    [FILE] => Array
        (
            [FileName] => Luckys_1st_week_with_us.JPG
            [FileDateTime] => 1298392869
            [FileSize] => 3626213
            [FileType] => 2
            [MimeType] => image/jpeg
            [SectionsFound] => ANY_TAG, IFD0, THUMBNAIL, EXIF, INTEROP, WINXP
        )

[COMPUTED] => Array
        (
            [html] => width="3264" height="2448"
            [Height] => 2448
            [Width] => 3264
            [IsColor] => 1
            [ByteOrderMotorola] => 1
            [ApertureFNumber] => f/3.1
            [Thumbnail.FileType] => 2
            [Thumbnail.MimeType] => image/jpeg
        )

[IFD0] => Array
        (
            [Make] => PENTAX Corporation
            [Model] => PENTAX Optio M40
            [Orientation] => 1
            [XResolution] => 72/1
            [YResolution] => 72/1
            [ResolutionUnit] => 2
            [Software] => Optio M40 Ver 1.00
            [DateTime] => 2009:06:16 18:41:26
            [YCbCrPositioning] => 2
            [Exif_IFD_Pointer] => 2324
            [Keywords] => C�l�a�r�k���
            [UndefinedTag:0xC4A5] => PrintIM�0300 LARGE AMOUNT OF UNREADABLE DATA DELETED HERE
            [UndefinedTag:0xEA1C] => LARGE AMOUNT OF UNREADABLE DATA DELETED HERE
        )

[THUMBNAIL] => Array
        (
            [Compression] => 6
            [XResolution] => 1/96
            [YResolution] => 1/96
            [ResolutionUnit] => 2
            [JPEGInterchangeFormat] => 8446
            [JPEGInterchangeFormatLength] => 3531
        )

[EXIF] => Array
        (
            [ExposureTime] => 1/50
            [FNumber] => 31/10
            [ISOSpeedRatings] => 800
            [ExifVersion] => 0220
            [DateTimeOriginal] => 2009:06:16 18:41:26
            [DateTimeDigitized] => 2009:06:16 18:41:26
            [ComponentsConfiguration] => �
            [CompressedBitsPerPixel] => 3/1
            [ExposureBiasValue] => 0/10
            [MaxApertureValue] => 33/10
            [MeteringMode] => 5
            [Flash] => 9
            [FocalLength] => 63/10
            [MakerNote] => AOC LARGE AMOUNT OF UNREADABLE DATA DELETED HERE
            [FlashPixVersion] => 0100
            [ColorSpace] => 1
            [ExifImageWidth] => 3264
            [ExifImageLength] => 2448
            [InteroperabilityOffset] => 7954
            [CustomRendered] => 0
            [ExposureMode] => 0
            [WhiteBalance] => 0
            [DigitalZoomRatio] => 100/100
            [FocalLengthIn35mmFilm] => 36
            [SceneCaptureType] => 0
            [Contrast] => 0
            [Saturation] => 0
            [Sharpness] => 0
            [SubjectDistanceRange] => 2
            [UndefinedTag:0xEA1C] => LARGE AMOUNT OF UNREADABLE DATA DELETED HERE
            [UndefinedTag:0xEA1D] => 3686
        )

[INTEROP] => Array
        (
            [InterOperabilityIndex] => R98
            [InterOperabilityVersion] => 0100
        )

[WINXP] => Array
        (
            [Keywords] => Clark
        )

)