•  » [beta-test request] improved metadata management

#1 2010-01-18 11:08:28

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

[beta-test request] improved metadata management

Hi all,

grum is working hard on improving the metadata read & display. A full plugin is under preparation, but first he wrote the PHP class to read and understand the metadata. Here comes the request:  help us to test this class on your server and with your photos.

1) Download the test program
2) unzip the archive on your web server
3) in your browser, open http://localhost/JpegMetaData/test
4) 2 photos are provided 07.jpg and 08.jpg, you can add you own in the test directory, click on the photo filename, metadata are displayed

This a test program, the output is not nice looking at user level, but it's really nice looking at debugging level :-)

What kind of user feedback grum is expecting:
* photos that would make the program fail
* unknown tags
* unimplemented tags but that you think mandatory to implement

Note: only Pentax specific tags are implemented, once the class architecture will be stable, we will add other camera makers.

#2 2010-01-18 11:13:05

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: [beta-test request] improved metadata management

First feedback, the program doesn't work with PHP 5.3 because the Locale class is included in PHP core. I've uninstalled PHP 5.3 from my development environment and installed PHP 5.2.6 installed. It works nice (I only have EXIF in my photos).

grum, I understand that only Pentax is fully implemented for specific EXIF tags, but where could I see the lens you used for 07.jpg and 08.jpg? (for many photographers, the lens is as important as the gear itself)

#3 2010-01-18 15:08:23

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Based on a search in the forum, I've notified : Polly, CMJN, toexist, Eric B, EX-FTB, el ninjo, Spooktalker, rvelices, plastictree, black2night, danibo, mvcoile, epistemepromeneur, joi, jaks, maurophp, danilm, maj_ka, vchavez, Toff. They have participated in discussions related to metadata.

#4 2010-01-18 15:22:09

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Taken from [Forum, topic 14857] Is there any way to make tags support Chinese(traditional) ?, here is http://plastictree.82.googlepages.com/ang_lee.jpg

With this photo, I have an encoding problem. In my browser:
* encoding set to UTF8 (default), the keyword is "�q" and this seems to be wrong
* encoding set to GB2312 (Simplified Chinese) the keyword is "筿" and this seems to be right

plastictree told us he had used iTag to fill the IPTC tag.

#5 2010-01-18 22:23:18

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

plg wrote:

First feedback, the program doesn't work with PHP 5.3 because the Locale class is included in PHP core. I've uninstalled PHP 5.3 from my development environment and installed PHP 5.2.6 installed. It works nice (I only have EXIF in my photos).

grum, I understand that only Pentax is fully implemented for specific EXIF tags, but where could I see the lens you used for 07.jpg and 08.jpg? (for many photographers, the lens is as important as the gear itself)

Ok, I will change the class name for "L10N" (or L18N ?)

about the lens, you have in the maker note, a sub tag "LensType", giving something like this

Code:

name: LensType                           ; label: smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM

or search the "exif.Pentax.LensType" string on the page ;)

Sunday, I found some time to begin Nikon camera implementation (reading data is now Ok, not interpreting the values) and I'm looking for Canon camera, expecting I will find time before friday to commit something in a running state.

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#6 2010-01-18 22:25:23

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

plg wrote:

Taken from [Forum, topic 14857] Is there any way to make tags support Chinese(traditional) ?, here is http://plastictree.82.googlepages.com/ang_lee.jpg

With this photo, I have an encoding problem. In my browser:
* encoding set to UTF8 (default), the keyword is "�q" and this seems to be wrong
* encoding set to GB2312 (Simplified Chinese) the keyword is "筿" and this seems to be right

plastictree told us he had used iTag to fill the IPTC tag.

IPTC specifications says the UTF-8 is not supported. So, I will try to see what I can do.

[ www.grum.fr ]

#7 2010-01-19 00:49:21

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

The last commit include Canon & Nikon readers (but tags are not interpreted yet) and the "Locale" class is renamed in "L10n".
Plg, can you :
1/ try with PHP 5.3
2/ make a new zip ? :)

thx

[ www.grum.fr ]

#8 2010-01-19 09:14:24

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

grum wrote:

Plg, can you :
1/ try with PHP 5.3

Done. It works with PHP 5.3 now.

grum wrote:

2/ make a new zip ? :)

Done. The new zip is base on [Subversion] r4706

#9 2010-01-19 09:22:36

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

grum wrote:

Ok, I will change the class name for "L10N" (or L18N ?)

l10n is good (l18n doesn't mean anything and you could also have chosen i18n :-)

grum wrote:

about the lens, you have in the maker note, a sub tag "LensType", giving something like this

Code:

name: LensType                           ; label: smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM

or search the "exif.Pentax.LensType" string on the page ;)

I've found it.

grum wrote:

Sunday, I found some time to begin Nikon camera implementation (reading data is now Ok, not interpreting the values) and I'm looking for Canon camera, expecting I will find time before friday to commit something in a running state.

Just give instructions once you're ready :-) I have some pictures made with a Nikon D700 + 24-70@2.8, post-processed with Photoshop (=> I have XMP metadata). I also have my own pictures made with Canon 40D + 50@1.4.

Why do we have execution rights on PHP files?

#10 2010-01-19 20:40:44

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

plg wrote:

Just give instructions once you're ready :-) I have some pictures made with a Nikon D700 + 24-70@2.8, post-processed with Photoshop (=> I have XMP metadata). I also have my own pictures made with Canon 40D + 50@1.4.

Ok.
At now, I probably don't have time before february.
I will take a look about your pictures after holidays ;)

plg wrote:

Why do we have execution rights on PHP files?

This is because my PHP file are stored on a server on my local network.
And right managements on my dev directory, accessed through a mounted sshfs driver aren't correctly tuned...
An SVN commit files with the rights currently found on my computer... ^^;

[ www.grum.fr ]

#11 2010-01-19 22:41:02

danibo
Zurich
2009-10-07

Hallo

I installed the testprogram and uploaded 3 files from a Canon 5 D Mark ll, resised and keyworded with Lightroom 2.6. Geocoded with Robogeo.
It seems that  all information are found.

http://localhost/JpegMetaData/test

If you want I could fill every ITCP field at one picture to see if the fields are read out right.

Thanks a lot and let me know when I can assist more.

Daniel

#12 2010-01-19 23:32:43

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

danibo wrote:

If you want I could fill every ITCP field at one picture to see if the fields are read out right.

Yes, I think that having a photo with all IPTC tags filled by LightRoom would be very useful.

#13 2010-01-20 00:38:32

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

danibo wrote:

Hallo

I installed the testprogram and uploaded 3 files from a Canon 5 D Mark ll, resised and keyworded with Lightroom 2.6. Geocoded with Robogeo.
It seems that  all information are found.

http://localhost/JpegMetaData/test

Thanks a lot and let me know when I can assist more.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for your feedback.

I'm really interested in a photo with keywords and all IPTC fed, and if it's possible, a sample file for my own tests (I send you an email address by a private message).

[ www.grum.fr ]

#14 2010-01-21 09:18:19

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

Hi Grum ;

very nice work, making the future look very nice !

All the metadatas I usually use are known and implemented ; none of the pictures I tested caused a fail (but I assume yo already knew that :-) ).

Please tell if you need more details.

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

•  » Beta testing
  •  » [beta-test request] improved metadata management

Board footer