Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Making a seachable index.

#1 2010-04-22 13:50:08

pauldaytona
Translation Team
2010-04-22

Making a seachable index.

I have 40 years of the magazine of our club, all 9700 pages scaned. Each year has 10 magazines, with from 8 to 50 pages in each
I can put them in categories for each year/month/number. That works.
But what I also want is to have a general index page, where the title for each article is, and people can click on to go to that page.
And that should be searchable.

I found the additional pages plugin, there I can make an html index page that links to the pages, but the text isn't seachable.

Or maybe better to use some database fields to make the index, and have a page returning that? And make it serachable.

I looked at all plugins but din't find anytning that can do it.

#2 2010-04-22 13:59:17

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

Re: Making a seachable index.

Piwigo is dedicated to organize and display elements, mainly pictures, but they can also be almost any other type of files; and it allows to search among these elements.

Unless I'm mistaken, what you want to do is search the elements content, that Piwigo doesn't know anything about ... unless you can provide this content as some metadata/description/tag or any information outside the elements.

Last edited by tosca (2010-04-22 13:59:40)

My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

#3 2010-04-22 14:23:34

pauldaytona
Translation Team
2010-04-22

tosca wrote:

Piwigo is dedicated to organize and display elements, mainly pictures, but they can also be almost any other type of files; and it allows to search among these elements.

Unless I'm mistaken, what you want to do is search the elements content, that Piwigo doesn't know anything about ... unless you can provide this content as some metadata/description/tag or any information outside the elements.

I'm not interested in searching the full text, but want to provide an index with for each magazine the articles that are in it. The article names provide enough to search on.

I tried to add the article name to the discription at the picture, that can be searched, but then I still don't have an index.

I suppose a page could be made with all discriptions as a list

Total overview of the pages here:
http://www.mgcn.nl/koerier/

And some in piwigo
http://www.mgcn.nl/koerier1/

Last edited by pauldaytona (2010-04-22 14:26:16)

#4 2010-04-22 14:33:02

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

pauldaytona wrote:

I tried to add the article name to the discription at the picture, that can be searched, but then I still don't have an index.

I suppose a page could be made with all discriptions as a list

Sorry, it appears I focused on the wrong thing ;-)
[extension by P@t] Additional Pages and [extension by plg] PWG Stuffs might help.

#5 2010-04-22 14:33:19

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

In fact you want a list of all the images?

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#6 2010-04-22 15:18:52

pauldaytona
Translation Team
2010-04-22

to make it more clear, I made a sample page like I want to have for each number:

http://www.mgcn.nl/koerier1/index.php?/ … nal_page/1

#7 2010-04-22 15:30:15

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

I might be mistaken ... but this has to be multiplied by the number of years (10) and the number of magazines per year (12), so you'll end with a page as 120x that long!

You'll need some way to manage that ... or one page per magazine?

#8 2010-04-22 15:44:22

pauldaytona
Translation Team
2010-04-22

tosca wrote:

I might be mistaken ... but this has to be multiplied by the number of years (10) and the number of magazines per year (12), so you'll end with a page as 120x that long!

You'll need some way to manage that ... or one page per magazine?

well, 40 years with 10 magazines each year, makes 400 indexpages if split into pages.

I think that it are this many pages isn't a problem, if they are searchable.  Maybe I can do something with the tags

I changed the page now so it holds 10 magazines, A year so that gives only 40 index pages.

#9 2010-04-22 16:26:06

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

pauldaytona wrote:

I changed the page now so it holds 10 magazines, A year so that gives only 40 index pages.

And you'll probably need a main index page, that displays the 40 links to give access to these pages.

Did you look at the extensions I provided earlier? You might be able to create the pages you need.

•  » Requests
  •  » Making a seachable index.

Board footer