Announcement

#1 2010-05-26 06:14:51

darehanl

[resolved] Doubts on EXIF orientation handling

Hi, I'm trying out Piwigo. So far I like it better than the 1000 settings Menalto :) And DigiKam PiwigoExport also works beautifully.

I've read http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=en:we … n_rotation but I'm a bit uncertain what it means about the Orientation tag. I have some photos that have this tag set, but:

* The thumbnail doesn't use orientation
* The page view doesn't use orientation
* Viewing the image by itself *does* use orientation.

In other words "right-click -> view image" or "Click on the picture to see it in high definition" is the only time I can actually see my photo rotated. Is this correct? If I want to have the photo rotated inside the webpage, should I rotate the image before uploading?

#2 2010-05-26 13:36:51

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: [resolved] Doubts on EXIF orientation handling

Wiki wrote:

If a browser takes Exif data into account when displaying an image, the example image will be displayed in Landscape mode.

Considering the cat pictures given in that page, I think it is Portrait mode. That's an error. Thanks for your doubt on it.

Wiki wrote:

If not, it will be displayed in Portrait mode. Because of this, the image must be rotated prior to displaying it on a browser. This will ensure a consistent display across browsers.

So... "If not, it will be displayed in Landscape mode."
And the following is perfectly correct: "... the image must be rotated prior to displaying it on a browser. This will ensure a consistent display across browsers."

E.g. if rotation is selected within pLoader, then pictures which need it are rotated before transfer.
So all browsers will produce a same final display.

It means:
pLoader: EXIF orientation handling is an option (and that solves the next issue).
Piwigo: EXIF orientation is ignored (but some OS/Browser could assume it).

Note: Wiki page will be revised in coming days to revert Portrait/Landscape in the paragraph. Again thanks for your doubts.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2010-06-05 17:29:51

darehanl

Re: [resolved] Doubts on EXIF orientation handling

Thanks VDigital, this resolves all my questions. I'm using [url=http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/]]jead/url] to rotate all my photos prior to uploading.

head -autorot FILE

Board footer