Announcement

#1 2010-06-18 02:37:24

mike

how do i Sync in to a virtual category

Hi everyone, so when i sync a list of 200 folders uploaded through my ftp, and i click sync, they all appear on the left of my page, a big giant list, i wish for there to be a virtual category on the left instead, call it
art,,,  then when they click art, the giant list of 200 folders containing art i want to show up, but not a big list on main page.. any help please?

#2 2010-06-18 06:59:24

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: how do i Sync in to a virtual category

If you're starting with Piwigo, could I suggest you to create a parent folder in ./galleries
i.e. ./galleries/physical/,
move all other directories inside ./galleries/physical/
Then synchronize, you will loose all previous pictures (descriptions, authorisations, comments, ...).
BUT
You will be happy for years.

If your gallery is running for months and months:
Physical categories could never be a child of a virtual category.
How to do:
Edit each physical category, create a virtual category with all pictures ("Link all category elements to a new category").
Each physical category should be set "Private" without any authorisation.
Let say virtual category could be "Public" or "Private" with some members authorised.
Now all virtual categories could be "moved" (without loosing comments, or descriptions, take care of authorisations they could change (*)) where you want under a top level category or any other.

Tip: Use full lowercase name for physical, and use first uppercase letters for virtual categories.

(*): Moving a "public" category inside a private will turn it in private as well without inherited authorised people.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2010-06-18 09:36:55

mike

man.. i figured out the first part. but the second part, moving child categorys into new parent categorys, which i believe is what you are describing in the second part i do not quite under stand.

in my galleries , on the left as well as main center area.  i have

art listed under  Categories that is it,

in the art cat, i have about 124 sub cats, but now i want to make some of the sub cats in to parent cats,

"Categories"

art [5000] pics
--
fine art [3000] pics

right now, fine art, is inside the art cat which i want under the art cat seperated.

i apologize for not understanding your first attempt i hope you could give me another shot :-D thank you!

#4 2010-06-18 09:47:21

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

Did you go for the physical categories, or the virtual ones?

Physical has to be moved via FTP, then re-synchronized, thus you'll loose everything linked to pictures, as VDigital said.

For virtual categories, you just need to go to Categories -> Move to move any category anywhere in the tree; if you want it a the top, just keep the "------" before clicking the Submit button.

Last edited by tosca (2010-06-18 09:49:05)

My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

#5 2010-06-18 09:50:52

mike

:-D ahh, i forgot to post another question so ill do it here...  on the main page, under Home where i currently have one selection where it states how many pics are in there and then my own description..

between that gallery....box and   Powered by Piwigo - Contact Webmaster   located on the bottom of the page.  i would like to ad some writing . which i did accomplish through front page, use a "Layer", which came out looking great, but.  now when i click on a category,  the address bar appears to Change like it usually does, but the gallery does not appear, its as if the main page never changed, i have it all set back to normal but i am confused as to what this is about, any idea.. thank you!

#6 2010-06-18 09:53:25

mike

i have one virtual category called art, which i uploaded via ftp, which contains 124 folders, which display when i click the art cat, which i synced already. i have moved the files via ftp before but i did not see the option to RE synch, because when i move the files via ftp, everything is broken display now .

#7 2010-06-18 09:57:00

mike

oh my.... i moved the cat which was in ART, to the same dir via ftp which ART was located, then i just clicked quick sync, like before, and it got rid of the broken pics, and created the new cat from inside of art, now a virtual . ah.. lol thank you very much!!     i still could use a hand with the adding text on my main page :-D THANKS

#8 2010-06-18 09:57:23

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

mike wrote:

:-D ahh, i forgot to post another question so ill do it here...  on the main page, under Home where i currently have one selection where it states how many pics are in there and then my own description..

between that gallery....box and   Powered by Piwigo - Contact Webmaster   located on the bottom of the page.  i would like to ad some writing . which i did accomplish through front page, use a "Layer", which came out looking great, but.  now when i click on a category,  the address bar appears to Change like it usually does, but the gallery does not appear, its as if the main page never changed, i have it all set back to normal but i am confused as to what this is about, any idea.. thank you!

Please open another topic for this question, as this has nothing to do with the current subject (Cf. forum rules)

#9 2010-06-18 10:01:48

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

mike wrote:

i have one virtual category called art, which i uploaded via ftp

Any folder created with FTP is a physical category.
Virtual categories can only be created with the admin interface, or using other loading procedures such as pLoader.

mike wrote:

which contains 124 folders, which display when i click the art cat, which i synced already. i have moved the files via ftp before but i did not see the option to RE synch, because when i move the files via ftp, everything is broken display now .

Everytime you change something with FTP, you have to re-synchronize to let Piwigo know the changes and record them in its database.

mike wrote:

i still could use a hand with the adding text on my main page

Please refer to my previous answer : [Forum, post 114182 by tosca in topic 16105] how do i Sync in to a virtual category

Last edited by tosca (2010-06-18 10:02:16)

#10 2010-06-18 13:27:15

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

read again all our answers, you will probably understand much more than the first time.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

Board footer