Announcement

#1 2010-08-21 12:19:36

sergix
2010-08-18

keep the image name

would be possible that the load image retains its name, for example name_of_the_image.jpg instead 20100819112913-d6835e32.jpg
thanks

#2 2010-08-23 19:55:46

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: keep the image name

Hi sergix,

please read [Forum, post 114938 by plg in topic 16231] web size image quality and tell us if you want additional details :-)

#3 2010-08-23 21:26:17

sergix
2010-08-18

Hi Plg,

i read what was written in the post indicated

For me (and maybe many others) would be optimal that the images retain their name. The intention is to give much information as possible to search engines (example Google image search, but Google for web to), in order to facilitate the indexed and then to have (perhaps the most desired intent of those who have a website) the increase of visits.

About Privacy, if one decides to post pictures on the internet knows what he is doing.. anyway Piwigo gives the opportunity to close the album to members.
Is logical and simple.. the user that will not want to know the titles of the images will not insert it (for example: writing numbers), the user who wants the title picture will be diffused will put it. The platform should provide to give you the ability to work as you want and not to the contrary, than it should have a logic of inclusion rather than exclusion.

In my opinion if this important change will be made, Piwigo could become the most important and powerful image platform on the web!!

Last edited by sergix (2010-08-24 17:49:58)

#4 2010-08-26 18:08:02

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi sergix,

sergix wrote:

[...] images retain their name [...] to give much information as possible to search engines

OK, we're discusing about SEO (Seach Engine Optimization) and it sounds much more important to me than other argument in opposition to "automatic rename" of image files.

sergix wrote:

About Privacy [...]

In my mind (when I coded the "automatic rename") the privacy was only the icing on cake effect. The most important was to avoid errors when trying to use a filename:

1) that would not be compatible with destination filesystem
2) that would not be compatible with HTTP requests (server and/or client side)

About problems related to non ASCII characters in image filenames, I suggest you to read [Forum, post 107756 by plg in topic 15172] Ignored sort order.

I have to think about it but your argument is really good. Maybe an option like "keep original filename for photo files" would be a good thing for SEO (deactivated by default unless someone can prove I have no reason to fear about non ASCII characters in filenames)

In my opinion if this important change will be made, Piwigo could become the most important and powerful image platform on the web!!

I like the idea very much ;-)

#5 2014-07-01 08:47:02

lovecustomart
2014-06-15

Hi all

so this was never implemented or can I just not find that setting? It would be great from an SEO point of view.

Please can you update if this already exists or if you can do it in the next upgrade?

Many Thanks
Jessica

#6 2014-07-01 10:22:50

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

From an SEO point of view I had no issues of referencing my pictures. I even didn't do anything special

This is too big to be implemented 'soon'

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Board footer