•  » [Plugin] UserAdvManager (UAM)

#46 2010-11-05 15:14:50

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Re: [Plugin] UserAdvManager (UAM)

Hi dmstive !

Don't worry, you're in the good area ;-)

I need additional information about your problem:
- Are you sure that verification emails are not sent? Maybe they are considered like spam?
- When a new user signs up, is he properly assigned to your "waiting" group?
- What other plugins do you use?

Could you give a link to your gallery (use private mail if necessary)?  I'll try to register.

#47 2010-11-05 19:28:49

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

New plugin release 2.15.9:
[Bugtracker] ticket 2010

#48 2010-12-08 21:48:33

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

New plugin release 2.15.10 fixes a compatibility bug with Captcha plugin. Upgrade is highly recommended if you want use both plugins.

#49 2010-12-15 00:28:09

mazda
2010-12-15

Thanks for the info..

#50 2010-12-16 19:18:33

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

The new version 2.16.0 of the plugin is available!

Bugs fixed:
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2046
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2053

Improvements:
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2011

New features:
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2054
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2056 - (see explanations below)

About automating tasks:
The first challenge in the absence of cron, was finding a trigger event. I opted for identification at the gallery which is the first physical action and usable on a gallery. Thus, when a user of any kind, connects, checks are run on ghosts users (managed in the Ghost Tracker).

For each user who has not returned to visit the gallery after x days (settable in the plugin):
- If it has never been reminded by email
        -> The user is demoted to a group and / or status restricting its access to the gallery (on the same way of  waiting groups / statuses before validation of registration).
        -> The user may be notified by mail of the demotion with the opportunity to revalidate their registration by a link in the email. This applies as email reminded.
- If it has already been remined with an email recovery
        -> Delete the account without further notice. Future evolution of the system will send a notification email account deletion.

Particular case (and normally rare but to consider all the same ^^) of the user whose account has expired and that triggers his own removal or demotion :
- If it is downgraded -> It will generate itself issuing the notification email with the validation key and access will be immediately impacted by the restrictions. If [extension by plg] PWG Stuffs is used to notify users awaiting approval, the user demoted find this same message upon login.
- If it is deleted -> His access redirects to a page stating that his account has been destroyed and, possibly, the reasons for this destruction. The content of this page is customizable in the plugin administration.

The implementation of automation can significantly slow the response time of the gallery on the user identifications. By the number of controls and actions to achieve is a bit normal. But I will try to optimize all of this in future versions. ;-)

That's all, for explanation on the operation of this heavy factory ;-)
I tried to test all scenarios but it is possible that I missed some. I await your return, for those who are interested in these new features.

#51 2011-01-04 01:28:18

Cassiano

How do I install and use this plugin?

#52 2011-01-04 02:12:54

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

This plugin installs like any other plugins: Either by downloading the zip file from http://piwigo.org/ext/ and then decompressing it in the "plugins" folder of the gallery, or using the automatic installation via the plugins administration panel of the gallery.

Usage is simple: On the configuration page of the plugin, when installed and activated, different options are presented. You have only to activate it to get the desired operation. Online help is available on this same setup page.

#53 2011-01-28 11:52:30

Bryon
2011-01-20

Registration Emails

1) My email client is set to display emails as text. I can switch this per email to "show as html". The registration emails come in, they are not displayed at all until I choose to "show as html" and then they are displayed... as text. I think you are accidentally sending the emails as html when they are not.

2) Registration emails are sent but the account is created instantly and the user has access to their account before clicking on the link in the email (or even receiving/opening the email).

Suggested Wordings     

1) The "Information email to user" is displayed correctly. But, the following is not good English:

"user, please find here your information to login the gallery :"

The above should be: "Dear _user_, here are the details of your registration:"

That avoids having to say "login to the gallery :" which should probably call from the piwigo installation the name of the "gallery" as some people might not be using the name "gallery". Avoid that confusion by using the suggested sentence.

2) For the "Confirmation of registration:" here is a suggestion:

"Thank you for registering at _name_of_site_. Your account has been manually validated by _admin_. You may now log in at _link_to_site_ and make any appropriate changes to your profile. Welcome to _name_of_site_!"

3) For the "Text of the confirmation page - Confirmation accepted"

"You have confirmed that you are human and may now use _name_of_site_! Welcome!"

There are a couple more sentences that a native English speaker has to read 3 or 4 times to understand but I changed those just after installation and can't remember them now. Those are the big ones though.

4) Use "log in" or "log into"... not "login". A "login" is a location, a form that sends text. "Log in" and "log into" describe the action/verb of logging in to something or "into" something.

The language issues are not really big problems but they can make people wonder if they read the sentence correctly or if they suddenly developed a nervous tick or drank too much coffee.

Looking forward to the next update. Keep up the good work ;)

Last edited by Bryon (2011-01-28 11:55:40)

#54 2011-01-28 18:05:52

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Hi Bryon,

Bryon wrote:

Registration Emails

1) My email client is set to display emails as text. I can switch this per email to "show as html". The registration emails come in, they are not displayed at all until I choose to "show as html" and then they are displayed... as text. I think you are accidentally sending the emails as html when they are not.

The email sending feature is based on Piwigo's email engine also used with the Piwigo's notification by mail (NBM) feature. Do you use NBM on your gallery ? If yes, please, tell me if the notifications have the same issue.

In fact, i think this is caused by the hosting server configuration or the mail() function.

Bryon wrote:

2) Registration emails are sent but the account is created instantly and the user has access to their account before clicking on the link in the email (or even receiving/opening the email).

This is normal operation: When a user registers and has not approved his registration, you must ensure he has no access to Gallery content. That's the reason of "Validation groups". If you set one users group without access to categories and another one with access, and perform them in UAM's options, the new registered users who haven't validate will not see the gallerie's content until they validate.

In any case, new registered users can log into the gallery. Otherwise, do you wish they can not connect? I'm not sure I can achieve this result.

Bryon wrote:

Suggested Wordings     

1) The "Information email to user" is displayed correctly. But, the following is not good English:

"user, please find here your information to login the gallery :"

The above should be: "Dear _user_, here are the details of your registration:"

That avoids having to say "login to the gallery :" which should probably call from the piwigo installation the name of the "gallery" as some people might not be using the name "gallery". Avoid that confusion by using the suggested sentence.

This email content is given by default as a generic example at plugin installation. You can (have to) change it with the sentence you want and that best fits your case ;-)

In addition, Piwigo is an online photo gallery. So, the term "gallery" is therefore natural, isn't it ?

Anyway, you've right : This example sentence could be be better. I'll change it for the next release.

Bryon wrote:

2) For the "Confirmation of registration:" here is a suggestion:

"Thank you for registering at _name_of_site_. Your account has been manually validated by _admin_. You may now log in at _link_to_site_ and make any appropriate changes to your profile. Welcome to _name_of_site_!"

3) For the "Text of the confirmation page - Confirmation accepted"

"You have confirmed that you are human and may now use _name_of_site_! Welcome!"

There are a couple more sentences that a native English speaker has to read 3 or 4 times to understand but I changed those just after installation and can't remember them now. Those are the big ones though.

Same observation as above: This is an example of text. It's best to adapt to his personal need when configuring the plugin.

Bryon wrote:

4) Use "log in" or "log into"... not "login". A "login" is a location, a form that sends text. "Log in" and "log into" describe the action/verb of logging in to something or "into" something.

Yes, you're right. I'll fix this too ;-)

Bryon wrote:

The language issues are not really big problems but they can make people wonder if they read the sentence correctly or if they suddenly developed a nervous tick or drank too much coffee.

That's because i never drink coffee ! :-))
Even if your comments relate to the example of text set by default for email and not on the translation of the plugin interface (does it means that it's okay?), thank you very much for your feedback.
I'm French (that's not an excuse! ^_^) and, although I think I cope pretty good English, we still need to improve.

Bryon wrote:

Looking forward to the next update. Keep up the good work ;)

Stay tuned! Next UserAdvManager release will come with Piwigo 2.2.

#55 2011-01-29 03:45:56

Bryon
2011-01-20

Eric wrote:

The email sending feature is based on Piwigo's email engine also used with the Piwigo's notification by mail (NBM) feature. Do you use NBM on your gallery ? If yes, please, tell me if the notifications have the same issue.

In fact, i think this is caused by the hosting server configuration or the mail() function.

The only plugins I have are Community and UAM. The mail server is the standard 1&1 server.

Eric wrote:

In any case, new registered users can log into the gallery. Otherwise, do you wish they can not connect? I'm not sure I can achieve this result.

Ok, I see now. Just because they can log into their account does not mean that they have any more privileges than they had when they were a guest. Also, I do not think that blocking them access to the site would be good :P You are right.

It does, however, seem unusual that the user is told about the email confirmation and yet before they verify their account by clicking the email link they are shown a screen that has a "Logout" option. Most other applications / sites avoid that because it allows for confusion (people saying "But I created my account, why can't I use the site? I have a Logout!"). It does seem obvious but there are ones who will assume that just by the email being sent to a server that THEY know is real that somehow the mail servers have verified their being human auto-magically.

If they can not yet use more features than a guest it would probably be better to visually imply that by not logging them in and not displaying a "Logout" until they have verified the account.

Eric wrote:

In addition, Piwigo is an online photo gallery. So, the term "gallery" is therefore natural, isn't it ?

If everyone names their piwigo gallery "/gallery" then yes. If, like me, they name it "/galleries" it is the difference between singular and plural. In a singular install for a single photographer that wishes to allow comments based upon permissions it would be fine to imply 'gallery'. Likewise, if a piwigo installation is set up to construct categories/albums that are filled communally based upon tags that is also ok. However, if the installation leans toward users having varied styles (not css/theme styles) or a unique identity in piwigo (such as is hopefully the direction the Community plugin) it would probably be better to avoid any mention or hint of singularity.

Eric wrote:

Even if your comments relate to the example of text set by default for email and not on the translation of the plugin interface (does it means that it's okay?), thank you very much for your feedback.
I'm French (that's not an excuse! ^_^) and, although I think I cope pretty good English, we still need to improve.

I like the plugin. You are attempting to present something to site administrators  that most applications hide. I applaud that! Also I think that eventually UAM should be within the default piwigo installation. That is most likely the reason that I have narrowed my scrutiny of UAM to things that may suggest a tendency toward singularity.

About being French and dealing with English... I see it like this: Considering that about 15% of English words come from the French language and most native English speakers do not even realize this while struggling to spell restaurant every single time that there is no spell-check available!... you're doing GREAT by comparison! :D Meanwhile, around 0% of French words come from the English language, maybe 5% have even been influenced by English and most of those relate to technology or some product.

I think that, many times, the willingness of a native French speaker to climb up the steeper side and converse in English does not get the appreciation that it deserves. That is... until someone like myself is lost in the French countryside with a really bad bilingual dictionary that consists of only simple phrases. Situations like that tend to open a person's eyes o.O

Anyway, Rock on Eric. Looking forward to the next release!

#56 2011-01-29 13:34:08

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Bryon wrote:

Eric wrote:

The only plugins I have are Community and UAM. The mail server is the standard 1&1 server.

:-/
I don't know what to say... I'm using 1&1 server too for one of my galleries and using UAM as well without any problem on email format. Another forum member (french user) have the same issue. So you 're 2 UAM users with this problem and i don't know how to fix it... I'm still investigating ;-)

Please, what's your email client you're using ? Have you tried with another one ?

Bryon wrote:

It does, however, seem unusual that the user is told about the email confirmation and yet before they verify their account by clicking the email link they are shown a screen that has a "Logout" option. Most other applications / sites avoid that because it allows for confusion (people saying "But I created my account, why can't I use the site? I have a Logout!"). It does seem obvious but there are ones who will assume that just by the email being sent to a server that THEY know is real that somehow the mail servers have verified their being human auto-magically.

You're right and it's the reason i suggest to use UAM in association with [extension by plg] PWG Stuffs (see "Registrations with email validation and warning message on the Piwigo's homepage" in "Tips and examples of use" section).

I agree it would be better to disconnect the user and prevent connection until it has validated its registration. But then he would wonder "I registered but why can I not connect?". And he would go somewhere else ... At least, allowing him access, even with very small privileges, we can tell him that he did not validate his registration ([extension by plg] PWG Stuffs) and be patient. :-)

Bryon wrote:

I like the plugin. You are attempting to present something to site administrators  that most applications hide. I applaud that! Also I think that eventually UAM should be within the default piwigo installation. That is most likely the reason that I have narrowed my scrutiny of UAM to things that may suggest a tendency toward singularity.

Thank you very much. Your support is greatly appreciated :-)

[off topic]

Bryon wrote:

About being French and dealing with English... I see it like this: Considering that about 15% of English words come from the French language and most native English speakers do not even realize this while struggling to spell restaurant every single time that there is no spell-check available!... you're doing GREAT by comparison! :D Meanwhile, around 0% of French words come from the English language, maybe 5% have even been influenced by English and most of those relate to technology or some product.

I think that, many times, the willingness of a native French speaker to climb up the steeper side and converse in English does not get the appreciation that it deserves. That is... until someone like myself is lost in the French countryside with a really bad bilingual dictionary that consists of only simple phrases. Situations like that tend to open a person's eyes o.O

LOL !

It is well known that the French are dunces in foreign languages globaly and English in particular. I am fortunate to know quite a few people native English speakers (mostly from USA) who speak and / or write French better than me! ^_^

And they'll be a great help to improve my English.

[/off topic]

#57 2011-02-19 14:23:53

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Due to important changes in the plugin and compliance with Piwigo 2.2.0-RC, I published a Release Candidate (RC) version for testing with Piwigo RC. Like all RC version, this is to be used only for testing in an environment designed for that.

Here is the list of bugs fixed and new features set in this version:
[Bugtracker] ticket 1666
[Bugtracker] ticket 2045
[Bugtracker] ticket 2055
[Bugtracker] ticket 2072
[Bugtracker] ticket 2140
[Bugtracker] ticket 2186
[Bugtracker] ticket 2188
[Bugtracker] ticket 2192

#58 2011-03-04 16:55:42

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Second Release Candidate before (I hope) the final stable version. Bug fixed are:
[Bugtracker] ticket 2186
[Bugtracker] ticket 2203
- Add of a new tip for use with [extension by P@t] Additional Pages
- Use of minified JQuery scripts

This release will work only with Piwigo 2.2.0RC3. So it's ever for testing ;-)

#59 2011-04-03 16:08:47

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

It is done! The final stable 2.20.0 version is available !

New features :
- Compliance with Piwigo 2.2

-  Add of a dedicated UAM block in PWG Stuffs plugin to inform unvalidated users on their status
- Customizing "lost password" email
- Special tags insertion in text fields. The tags actually available are [username] (insert current user username),[mygallery] (insert current gallery title), [myurl] (insert gallery url if set in Piwigo's configuration options).
- Automated task for unvalidated registers (auto email reminder sent and auto deletion if already reminded).

Bugs fixed:
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2072
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2140
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2186
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2188
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2192
- [Bugtracker] ticket 2203

#60 2011-04-13 19:31:36

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

New version 2.20.3:

- Improved display of the admin panel with the clear theme

- Added a new backup feature of the plugin settings and customizations. Little explanation:

It is about extracting UserAdvManager's specific data from the database to a *.sql file. By default the file is stored in the folders tree of the plugin with a unique name. So every saving action, the file is overwritten.
But it is also possible to download the backup file to keep it outside the gallery and / or to restore it using PhpMyAdmin. This function does not support the restoration of backup data.

•  » Extensions
  •  » [Plugin] UserAdvManager (UAM)

Board footer