Announcement

#1 2011-04-21 17:28:22

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

downloading images

Is there a way to only allow downloading of images from specific albums in a gallery and not in all albums? Or can it be set to only download certain images in an album?

I want to set up albums for models I shoot so they can download edited photos. But I don't want other photos to be available for download.

#2 2011-04-22 16:30:42

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Re: downloading images

I looked at the Piwigo demo. In the "features" album with high resolution images, I see a download icon. But yet it doesn't seem to be in any of the other albums. I'm trying to set mine up the same way but can't get it to work.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a private album named "models". In the "models" album there are sub-albums for each model.
These contain un-editied images for them to preview. What I need to do is to be able to add edited high resolution images that are available for only them to download, not the general public.

On the demo page it says it's simple to do by adding a sub-category named pwg_high.   NOT!

I upload all my images to albums using ploader. In the model's albums there is a folder named pwg_high which also contains images.

But when I go to the photos in my gallery there is no "download" icon, and when I move my mouse over an image it the only options are "thumbnails", previous image, or next image.

Can someone explain how the hell to get this to work? Or at least send me to a file that truly explains how to do this? When I search the forum, the results can be from dreamstime, or any other site on the web. i don't have time to search through a gazillion hits doing a search.

The support here really is a little lacking in quality in my opinion. I see a lot of un-answered questions here. Or when you ask a question, you get a question for a reply, not an answer.

#3 2011-04-22 16:51:43

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

NWS wrote:

The support here really is a little lacking in quality in my opinion. I see a lot of un-answered questions here. Or when you ask a question, you get a question for a reply, not an answer.

We try to answer every question.
The day are only 24 hours and we work alongside.

When a question is to understand the problem.

On the web, when photo is shown in the browser, it is on the visitor's computer.
We can only make it harder

In the user profile, You can chose 'High definition enabled'

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#4 2011-04-22 17:07:26

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Yes, "high definition" is enabled for the user.  But it still doesn't work. And thank you for the quick reply. I am very frustrated at this because I have about 400 images I need to make available for models to download.

I just need to know the right way to do this.

Thanks,
Tom

#5 2011-04-22 17:34:40

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

Can we have the gallery URL? By private message if you want...

P@t

#6 2011-04-22 17:43:30

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

http://www.northwestscenescapes.net/gallery/index.php

That's the main gallery I've been working on.
To access the "models" albums I'll need to give you a login/password. I have them set up as private. Should I just email you a login/password for the user? That way you will see her albums/photos. That's the one I'm really having issues with.

#7 2011-04-22 17:48:39

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Just emailed you a login/password to access the album I'm having trouble with.
Thanks!!

#8 2011-04-22 18:39:39

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Your suggestions worked. Thank you very much!!

#9 2012-05-01 05:55:45

Joe

What was the suggestion? Please post to help others.

#10 2012-05-01 21:40:10

aldude

P@t wrote:

Would you please post the suggestion, if you still remember.  I believe I have the same question on a different thread.
Thanks.

#11 2012-05-03 01:26:36

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

aldude wrote:

P@t wrote:

Would you please post the suggestion, if you still remember.  I believe I have the same question on a different thread.
Thanks.

Sorry... I don't remember... try to notify NWS...

P@t

#12 2012-05-03 04:12:23

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

I don't remember for sure everything we did to get it to work. I think it was Pat who emailed the solution. Hopefully I have it saved, but will have to look for it.

EDIT:

Here was the email Pat sent me about my issue:

Try this:

- Go to Configuration -> Options -> Display and check if "Activate icon "Download this file" is checked.
- Try to deactivate plugins like "Look Like GBO" or "Autosize"
- Try another theme.

I'll look in all my settings and see what I did to allow downloads just for the models. I believe I just set up a new group (models) and users (each models name).

Last edited by NWS (2012-05-03 04:29:29)

#13 2012-05-03 09:43:13

aldude
2012-05-02

NWS wrote:

I don't remember for sure everything we did to get it to work. I think it was Pat who emailed the solution. Hopefully I have it saved, but will have to look for it.

EDIT:

Here was the email Pat sent me about my issue:

Try this:

- Go to Configuration -> Options -> Display and check if "Activate icon "Download this file" is checked.
- Try to deactivate plugins like "Look Like GBO" or "Autosize"
- Try another theme.

I'll look in all my settings and see what I did to allow downloads just for the models. I believe I just set up a new group (models) and users (each models name).

Thanks,

Unchecked & submitted, and rechecked & submitted the "Download this file" option.  Disabled all plugins, and changed the theme.  No luck, one directory shows the icon the rest do not.

The one directory that does show the icon also behaves a little different.  After I click the thumbnail a resized version of the photo shows up with the icon.  I click on the resized picture, a new window shows up with the actual size photo.

The directory that does not show the icon.  After I click on the thumbnail I get the actual size photo shows up in the same window.

Thanks again.

#14 2012-05-03 15:37:49

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

I went through several of my albums (for the models) and it now appears that the downloading of images is not working in all of them. A few are working fine, but others are acting really strange.

In a couple of the albums the download (save) button is missing. In others when I click on it the size of the photos is wrong. Instead of the actual high resolution image, it wants to download the one that actually shows on the image page which is only about 250k, not the 6 or 7 megs it should be downloading.

Very strange. It was all working fine at one point but now I'm stumped again.

Sometimes I upload images using Ploader. Other times I upload through "add photos" in the admin section. It depends on how many images I'm uploading as to which method I use. Not sure which is causing the issues.

Another thing I noticed when going through all the folders (FTP). Images really seem to be scattered all over the place. I have one album for a recent model shoot, which has hi-res images that were all uploaded at the same time. When I go through the folder structure and find the thumbnail for that album and look in the pwg_high folder there are only a couple of the images. I can't figure out where Piwigo put the others. Very confusing.

I would really like to see this option incorporated into either the image batch manager or as an option in albums so we can set either an album or specific images allowable to download hi-res images.

Last edited by NWS (2012-05-03 15:43:29)

Board footer