Announcement

#1 2011-04-28 18:09:42

IcyHot
2011-03-31

Taking the Plunge

Greetings,

I just wanted to say that after using 4Images for 9 years I have decided to take the plunge and move my gallery to piwigo.  Currently I have 1800+ registered active users and over 10,000 photos.  I did not make the decision lightly.

Couple of reason why I am moving
1.  I was amazed how quickly google discovered that I had installed piwigo and began indexing the gallery without any input from me.   I still have major issues getting images indexed properly in 4Image.

2.  The plugin method of adding features is a relief -vs- the 4Images method of having to actually code the core files yourself and making sure you did not mess up any other changes you had made.  It makes upgrading a challenge but then again updates are so rare you don't have to face that reality often.

3.  In my 9 years running 4Images the version has moved from 1.72 to 1.79, as you can see not a lot of changes or updates.  If it was not for the strong community I think 4Images may be died years ago

One thing I am going to miss
1.  4Images had a feature that allowed users to "view all new images since last login" and for the life of me I do not see that function in piwigo.  I am going to miss that.

#2 2011-05-02 11:31:29

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Taking the Plunge

Hi IcyHot,

Thank you for this feedback. It seems that 4Images didn't implement the "plugin" system and in my opinion this a major feature in Piwigo that was added in 2007 (Piwigo 1.7). With plugins, Piwigo became more a "community" development and many new features were born thanks to plugins.

You're right, there is no "view all new images since last login" and even if it is not very simple to implement, we should do something about it. The difficulty is to define what/when the "last login" is.

#3 2011-05-02 11:47:02

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

plg wrote:

The difficulty is to define what/when the "last login" is.

simple way?: date stamp in a Cookie, stored at clientside ... working for all, not only for members

#4 2011-05-02 11:54:30

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

You're right mol. We also have to define a "visit length"

Code:

if time() - cookie.last_visit > $conf[visit_length]
{
  cookie.last_visit = time()
}

#5 2011-05-03 09:03:49

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

IcyHot wrote:

One thing I am going to miss
1.  4Images had a feature that allowed users to "view all new images since last login" and for the life of me I do not see that function in piwigo.  I am going to miss that.

Nice idea!

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

Board footer