Announcement

#1 2011-06-24 14:54:49

alen
2011-06-24

Mounted directory synchronization

Hi all!

We have around 20.000 photos sorted in albums in a directory structure (with TIFFs in a separate directory for long-term preservation).

So I'm curious would it be feasible use this (remote) root directory mounted as 'galleries' and synchronize it frequently with Piwigo directory structure and database as we are planning to make (EXIF, IPTC) changes in this offsite in IPTC (probably via Digikam).

Our goal is to have offsite photo archive (TIFFs and JPGs with EXIF and IPTC metadata) and Piwigo as online representation of it. This way we could regenerate our photogallery anytime and anywhere as any single picture file would contain all necessary metadata info.

1. Do you propose this way of synchronization (triggered via web interface) or Digikam plugin (we have not tested any of these yet)?

2. Do you have a guide to 'map' IPTC metadata during import/synchronization?

Regards,
alen

P.S.
I work in a scientific institutes library and we are establishing documentary archive. We have tested several opensource photo managemant applications and found that Piwigo has the most of features we currently need for the photo part of our archive.

P.P.S
We are testing 2.3.0 beta1

#2 2011-06-27 14:07:39

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Mounted directory synchronization

Hi alen,

1) Here I give a tip on how to perform automatic (launched by script) synchronization : [Forum, post 110429 by plg in topic 15529] wget to automatically quick local sync

The Digikam "export to Piwigo" feature does not use the "synchronization" feature of Piwigo, but calls to Piwigo web API. You may be interested in [Forum, topic 17713] Python http uploader where sbyke is creating a script to perform remote synchronization between Digikam and Piwigo.

2) copy any photo as "tools/sample.jpg" in your Piwigo installation, then open tools/metadata.php in your web browser and you'll see what Piwigo finds in your IPTC. Once done, you can configure your local configuration (with plugin LocalFiles Editor) with something like:

Code:

$conf['use_iptc'] = true;

$conf['use_iptc_mapping'] = array(
  'keywords'        => '2#025',
  'author'          => '2#122',
  'name'            => '2#005',
  'comment'         => '2#120'
  );

alen wrote:

I work in a scientific institutes library and we are establishing documentary archive. We have tested several opensource photo managemant applications and found that Piwigo has the most of features we currently need for the photo part of our archive.

Thank you alen :-)

alen wrote:

We are testing 2.3.0 beta1

If you plan to go live before October 2011, then test Piwigo 2.2 instead, see [Forum, topic 17428] Piwigo 2.3 planning

#3 2011-06-27 16:05:00

alen
2011-06-24

Thank you very much for you reply.

We'll stick with 2.3. I hope that beta1>beta2>RC upgrades will work without much problems :).
--
alen

#4 2011-06-27 16:10:38

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

alen wrote:

We'll stick with 2.3. I hope that beta1>beta2>RC upgrades will work without much problems :).

Hum... we take care too avoid data loss when upgrading from a stable version to another stable version, but we don't really care about upgrades between beta versions. We use the "upgrade feed" system that should be reliable but sometimes upgrade tasks are broken :-/

Board footer