#2 2008-07-17 15:24:35

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

Re: Is that available in PWG?

PWG manage 3 level of image :
-> Thumbnail to navigate through categories
-> Normal view to see the image with the standard resolution decided by the administrator
-> High to let users to hav a link to the original resolution

Today, I don't know any phpwebgallery plugin managing multiple resolutions and I think this is the best way to kill the hard drive space.

When you take a look at the site http://www.brazilian.com/v1 you can see that images are reformated with the script http://www.lostbrazilian.com/v1/get_thumbs_on_fly.php associated with parameters width (nw) and height (nh).

When you observe this image produced, you can see that image weight is over 186 Ko for a 1600*1200 px photo. When I take a 2272*1704 px with my camera, the image weigth is over 2000 Ko.

My conclusion : this braszilian.com site plugin is a fake. Sorry :-(

« Entre Ce que je pense, Ce que je veux dire, Ce que je crois dire, Ce que je dis, Ce que vous avez envie d'entendre, Ce que vous entendez, Ce que vous comprenez... il y a dix possibilités qu'on ait des difficultés à communiquer. Mais essayons quand même... »
[ Bernard Werber ]
This is more difficult if you don't understand French !
[ Laurent ]

#3 2008-07-17 16:15:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I think we have to think about a better management of multiple sizes. The way it currently works is really basic (but is fine for most users) and I would personnaly like to have as many sizes as the webmaster has decided. This may represent a major change in the way PWG expect the image files to be available so we won't work on Butterfly (the current development branch).

#4 2008-07-17 18:16:50

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

z0rglub wrote:

I think we have to think about a better management of multiple sizes. The way it currently works is really basic (but is fine for most users) and I would personnaly like to have as many sizes as the webmaster has decided. This may represent a major change in the way PWG expect the image files to be available so we won't work on Butterfly (the current development branch).

Following is not resizing but...

As you (z0rglub, laurent.duretz) have probably noticed, I would expect in next release to display High Resolution pictures (HR) in HTML page... (Optional).
What does that mean?

Link to HR will send the popup width.
If HR width is smaller than the window, HR will be displayed as is.
If not, HR will be adjusted by the browser to +/- the window width.
Further, some icons will be available:
++ enlarge (by +10% till picture width, horizontal overflow: hidden, a sort of crop)
<< scroll left (by +10% in case of overflow)
[]   set to picture width (centered, horizontal overflow:hidden)
>> scroll right (by +10% in case of overflow)
--   reduce (by -10% till half screen width, picture will be centered in all cases)
| |  reset to window width
x    close
In addition, HR will be displayed with the theme page background.

8-)

( So not exactly, the same idea than cemo but... )

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#5 2008-07-17 19:52:37

cemo
2008-07-03

so will it be available at  next version of PWG?

#6 2008-07-17 20:04:28

cemo
2008-07-03

z0rglub wrote:

in past i used a gallery script named Linpha. its not a good script but it has this function. the link i gaved in my post is a linpha script
anyways i think if PWG does that fuction it will be %100 perfect

i like pwg

regards

#7 2008-07-17 20:06:01

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

cemo wrote:

Maybe if I have enough time or if someone like Laurent want to take the point.

;-)

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#8 2008-07-17 20:40:58

laurent.duretz
Piwigo Team
22 France
2004-06-29

VDigital wrote:

:-)

I marrie me next month and I build my house until next year.
Time for PWG is reduced to the minimum.

« Entre Ce que je pense, Ce que je veux dire, Ce que je crois dire, Ce que je dis, Ce que vous avez envie d'entendre, Ce que vous entendez, Ce que vous comprenez... il y a dix possibilités qu'on ait des difficultés à communiquer. Mais essayons quand même... »
[ Bernard Werber ]
This is more difficult if you don't understand French !
[ Laurent ]

#9 2008-07-17 20:49:21

cemo
2008-07-03

VDigital wrote:

cemo wrote:

;-)

i would like to pay for that module if someone would like to create it

Greetings

#10 2008-07-17 21:12:30

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

z0rglub? for you?

8-)

8-)

#11 2011-07-10 13:44:41

navjotjsingh
India
2010-09-23

Even I am interested in having the multiple resolutions of a single image. Any progress in this regard or any extension which I might have overlooked?

#12 2011-07-10 16:17:34

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

one thing to remember

laurent.duretz wrote:

When you observe this image produced, you can see that image weight is over 186 Ko for a 1600*1200 px photo. When I take a 2272*1704 px with my camera, the image weigth is over 2000 Ko.

My conclusion : this braszilian.com site plugin is a fake. Sorry :-(

maybe  the site, i have a google safebrowsing  malware warning for the brasilian.com site ....

The File size depends on picture quality (details and noise level) and compression ratio of the jpg.  I have a lot of JPGs of my Eos 5D in original size (4374*2916px, thats 3 times more than your 2272*1704) with file sizes between 1500-4000kb. 186kb for a 1600*1200px photo is a very high compression ration (i think between 70-75%), in my private piwigo installation i am using normaly  80-85% jpg compression, with filesizes between 250kb-500kb on 1600-1200 px pictures.

I think we have to think about a better management of multiple sizes.

i think not. with yappa-ng i have used this feauture, but most of my visitors are not realy interested to use more than 2 (TWO) sizes. one which the size of her browser (monitor) and another as big as possible. i used a lot of different sizes for pictures, all cached by yappa-ng, needs a lot of filespace... (not really relevant on a private gallery with only 1000-1500 pictures)

in Piwigo i think it is enough with 3 sizes: thumbnails,  "normal size" (something between 640-1200)  and your interpretation of HD (the biggest format you wish to see in the web).
In a theme template like stripped the handling is easy, the normal picture will be auto resized to fit in the browser an the HD picture it is the visitors choice to see a movable part of the picture or also fit to browsersize. i wish this feautures in the core of piwigo :-)

(pardon me for my ugly english)

#13 2011-07-10 17:34:58

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Your English is perfectly understandable.
The multi size feature could be good not for downloading purpose but for themes : it will allow more sophisticated theme.
One of our team member said he would want to work on it

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#14 2011-08-19 18:08:14

djsmeltzer
2011-07-28

I am interested in this feature as well.  Will be watching this thread eagerly.

Board footer