Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Add ability to move photos between albums, etc...

#1 2011-11-12 00:39:01

Danny

Add ability to move photos between albums, etc...

I see one can tag between albums but it does not seem possible to actually move - like from parent to sub-album.

This would be of great use when cleaning up after uploading images.

Otherwise if a mistake is made, one must delete the images and start over...  A move from to would eliminate a lot of extra work!

Other nice to have:

Back buttons on all pages - for example in viewer pages, a back button would be nice to have so newbies at PC (yes there are still a lot of them around!) won't freak out...

Save button for users to save selected images to their PC (with security to allow and/or block this feature for selective users)

Ability to prevent users from saving via "right click" and save as - So we can sell photos if we so choose...

Ability to mass color correct and auto correct (via something like a gimp lpugin) selected images.

By the way - Nice product!

Thanks,

Danny

#2 2011-11-12 00:40:52

Danny Cox

Re: Add ability to move photos between albums, etc...

I'd also like the ability to manually tweak the site for custom headers, logos, drop in templates for contact forms...

This may be asking a bit too much however!

Thanks,

Danny

#3 2011-11-12 08:11:07

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Many questions for one post !

Danny Cox wrote:

I'd also like the ability to manually tweak the site for custom headers, logos,

Go to Administration -> Configuration -> Options -> Page banner
You can use html tag

Danny Cox wrote:

drop in templates for contact forms...

[extension by Piwigo Team] ContactForm

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#4 2011-11-12 08:12:25

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Danny wrote:

I see one can tag between albums but it does not seem possible to actually move - like from parent to sub-album.

This would be of great use when cleaning up after uploading images.

Otherwise if a mistake is made, one must delete the images and start over...  A move from to would eliminate a lot of extra work!

Other nice to have:

Back buttons on all pages - for example in viewer pages, a back button would be nice to have so newbies at PC (yes there are still a lot of them around!) won't freak out...

Save button for users to save selected images to their PC (with security to allow and/or block this feature for selective users)

Ability to prevent users from saving via "right click" and save as - So we can sell photos if we so choose...

Ability to mass color correct and auto correct (via something like a gimp lpugin) selected images.

If your album are virtual, you can move it

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#5 2015-10-05 15:17:05

helmuc
Maidstone, UK
2013-05-23

Danny wrote:

just figured out how to move photos across the categories... will share it for those who might need this information (like I did when I discovered that 3 photos were in completely wrong categories).

1) go to "Batch Manager" in your admin dashboard
screenshot:
http://content.screencast.com/users/helmuc/folders/Jing/media/2cafdc91-27e1-4a42-a235-8e01151f4804/2015-10-05_1406.png

2) now you want to see all the photos. have a look on the screenshot below, select all the photos and click on "Refresh photo set"
screenshot:
http://content.screencast.com/users/helmuc/folders/Jing/media/d624d874-1d3d-4897-9275-71666f725fda/2015-10-05_1407.png

3) find the photo or photos you want to move, select it (them) and start moving :)
screenshot:
http://content.screencast.com/users/helmuc/folders/Jing/media/3c1cecd6-8d08-43df-be22-622ea8fa36cd/2015-10-05_1411.png

.. I believe next steps are too simple to be mentioned here :)

gl
H

p.s. yes, this is a really old thread but ranks #1 in Google (at least for me) after the phrase "piwigo move photo to different category".

Last edited by helmuc (2015-10-05 15:19:05)

#6 2016-09-10 17:01:35

Paul Molyneux-Berry

As an admin of my photo archive, I can move photos between albums and assign them to more than one album as above.

But I'd really like normal users to be able to do this! I have quite a lot of contributors and people don't always get it right first time. Also, it's often useful for them to be able to place photos in more than one album.

Is there a way to give non-admin users access to some of the admin functionality?

Thanks,
Paul

#7 2016-10-14 08:20:59

Rumpi

Anything new? Id also like to add the feature move pictures to "normal" users.

#8 2016-12-17 15:54:23

Roadhouse
2016-04-29

Hi.
I have two installations (I think!):

http://guldberg-lassen.dk/piwigo/

and

http://guldberg-lassen.dk/pics/

All the albums (inkl. sub-albums) located in the first URL was supposed to be located in the second URL :-(

Is it possiple to move them from the first URL to the second URL, or do I have to start all over again with uploading etc?

Kind regards

Frank

#9 2017-02-03 14:50:21

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

helmuc wrote:

just figured out how to move photos across the categories...

This really only works with virtual albums. If you use physical albums (like me) and attempt to "move" a photo like this with Batch Manager, it just ends up "linking" the photo to the new target album and the photo and file remain in the original physical directory.

This is one feature I really miss in Piwigo even 2 years after I migrated from Gallery3. I use physical albums because I like to have my photos organized in directories on my NAS and backups instead of Piwigo's year/month/day/random-filename.jpg hierarchy. I understand this makes it easier for the virtual albums but should I ever stop using Piwigo I'd be left with a disorganized mess.

I really liked that Gallery3 would let me move a photo (or album) around and make the corresponding updates to the physical disk/structure as well so I wouldn't lose the metadata in the gallery like tags, description, etc. To move a photo in Piwigo (the way I have it now, with physical albums and using synchronization) I have to write down/copy the tags/description/etc., physically move the file to the new location, run synchronization, and then add back all the info. I could probably get creative with SQL scripts to alleviate some of the pain, but I just think it'd be a nice feature to have built into Piwigo.

With my separate 2.9.0beta2 installation I've been playing around with virtual albums just to see if I could make them work for me but I'm still skeptical. ;)

#10 2017-02-03 15:11:59

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

windracer wrote:

helmuc wrote:

just figured out how to move photos across the categories...

This really only works with virtual albums. If you use physical albums (like me) and attempt to "move" a photo like this with Batch Manager, it just ends up "linking" the photo to the new target album and the photo and file remain in the original physical directory.

This is one feature I really miss in Piwigo even 2 years after I migrated from Gallery3. I use physical albums because I like to have my photos organized in directories on my NAS and backups instead of Piwigo's year/month/day/random-filename.jpg hierarchy. I understand this makes it easier for the virtual albums but should I ever stop using Piwigo I'd be left with a disorganized mess.

I really liked that Gallery3 would let me move a photo (or album) around and make the corresponding updates to the physical disk/structure as well so I wouldn't lose the metadata in the gallery like tags, description, etc. To move a photo in Piwigo (the way I have it now, with physical albums and using synchronization) I have to write down/copy the tags/description/etc., physically move the file to the new location, run synchronization, and then add back all the info. I could probably get creative with SQL scripts to alleviate some of the pain, but I just think it'd be a nice feature to have built into Piwigo.

With my separate 2.9.0beta2 installation I've been playing around with virtual albums just to see if I could make them work for me but I'm still skeptical. ;)

[ I also use physical albums for the same reason ] - One thing I do when 'moving' them is to use the plugin WriteMetadata - This way, I get tags saved in to the file, along with other metadata.  The only thing lost is comments.  - This is not a solution, just some helpful additional info...

#11 2017-02-03 21:48:25

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

jnashpiwigo wrote:

[ I also use physical albums for the same reason ] - One thing I do when 'moving' them is to use the plugin WriteMetadata - This way, I get tags saved in to the file, along with other metadata.  The only thing lost is comments.  - This is not a solution, just some helpful additional info...

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. Have you had any problem with file corruption or any drawbacks to storing the metadata directly in the photo like that?

#12 2017-02-04 17:41:31

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

windracer wrote:

jnashpiwigo wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. Have you had any problem with file corruption or any drawbacks to storing the metadata directly in the photo like that?

I've not had any issues.  My metadata is pretty general IPTC and EXIF (from the camera) and then any tags/location/gps data I may put in as well.  No problems as of yet with any corruption.

#13 2017-02-05 00:54:24

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

It looks like that plug-in adds the "Write metadata" option to the photo edit page. Do you have to manually click that on every photo? Or does it work automatically in the background?

#14 2017-02-06 01:55:05

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

windracer wrote:

It looks like that plug-in adds the "Write metadata" option to the photo edit page. Do you have to manually click that on every photo? Or does it work automatically in the background?

Unfortunately, it has to be done manually, or via the batch in admin I think...

I previously requested a feature to automatically update file when changes were made, as it was beyond my capabilities, but no interest it seemed.

•  » Requests
  •  » Add ability to move photos between albums, etc...

Board footer