Announcement

#1 2011-05-18 18:46:18

gof
2011-05-16

Alternative EXIF solution besides php extensions?

My hosting provider is resisting enabling the exif extensions in PHP.  Is there another way to do this?   I can load additional modules, just not modify the base php install (DirectAdmin hosting).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

#2 2011-07-24 13:45:12

Jaanus

Re: Alternative EXIF solution besides php extensions?

1) suggestion for you: try Zenphoto instead (www.zenphoto.org). ZP takes exif and iptc metadata from uploaded images and writes it into database EVEN IF YOUR SERVER HASN'T GOT EXIF EXTENSION! So the image's default datetime is its original creation date, that means date and time when picture was taken!

2) suggestion for the team: please take a look at the Zenphoto code. I believe you as programmers should understand how they made possible that their CMS reads exif/iptc from images ANYWAY. In case when you implement this in Piwigo, I may have many reasons to use rather Piwigo than ZP ;)

#3 2011-07-24 18:32:19

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

thx jaanus
We know ZP but looking at their features, they seems to have more time for programing than us ^^ We'll look at that

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#4 2011-09-15 16:54:56

Lloyd
2011-09-13

I was using Zenphoto, and switched to Piwigo, due to the following reasons:

- lack of documentation
- code is hard to work with, if you want to make changes.
- lack of help on the forum.
- attitude of the lead developer, and the way he treats people on the forum and in the bugtracker.

Piwigo has much better documentation, a great forum with lots of help, and great answers to your posts.

Better this, than a lot of features with no documentation on how to use them,  and in some cases features that do not even work, along with a lead developer with a horrible attitude. If you do not believe me, just take a look at some posts in their forum and bug tracker.

As a developer, I hope done the road that I will have some time to help out on this project. In the meantime, I am so happy I found this project, after wasting some much time with ZenPhoto.

Lloyd

#5 2011-09-16 09:24:16

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

gof wrote:

My hosting provider is resisting enabling the exif extensions in PHP.

no good usersupport. change your hostingprovider, the selection is large enough.

#6 2012-01-03 03:44:01

JN

Actually you can test this little library that they use.

Its most actual version is downloadable as zip here:
http://www.zenphoto.org/trac/browser/trunk/zp-core/exif

And here is the link to the original creator of this library. His zip file contains also index.php and sample picture that you can use with the latest version of this library.
http://www.offsky.com/software/exif/

#7 2012-01-08 14:44:59

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Actually, on Piwigo there is an "advanced" library to read metadata. It was written by grum for [extension by grum] Advanced Metadata

http://piwigo.org/dev/browser/extension … egMetaData

I think we should try to use it as default metadata reader in Piwigo, but I don't remember if it requires the exif PHP module.

#8 2012-01-12 20:55:04

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

Hi plg,

The JpegMetadata don't use PHP extension/functions to read exif, xmp and IPTC metadata. It read an interperter it directly in the binary image file.
As a consequence, it's slower than using a compiled library (dedicated to PHP or external)

About this library, she's now a little bit out of date: it works very well for common metadata (specification don't change each year), bur for dedicated maker and/or camera metadata I think I have to update the plugin.

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#9 2012-04-30 16:50:20

Jaanus

Hi, any progress?
When we need sort data it is still necessary that the data is in db table. And the "uploaded" date and time has a secondary importance after the date/time taken.
The library I mentioned is freely available, so... :)

#10 2012-04-30 16:53:54

Jaanus

Jaanus wrote:

Hi, any progress?
When we need sort data it is still necessary that the data is in db table. And the "uploaded" date and time has a secondary importance after the date/time taken.
The library I mentioned is freely available, so... :)

I forgot to mention that the library used by ZP reads and writes the metadata from pictures automatically into database at the moment, when the new pics are uploaded (incl through ftp) and the site visited for first time after that.

Board footer