Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Core Support for Small Video Files

#1 2011-10-13 20:02:05

mlo
2011-10-11

Core Support for Small Video Files

This is the one thing that is missing from ALL of the Open Source products that I find I truly need.  I don't want to have all of my family videos accessible to the world via YouTube, but with family all across the country, I do want a server enabled video source.

I realize that I can force this with the FTP Synch, but if I want to allow my non-technical relatives to do this it would really need:

-- direct uploads like pictures are uploaded
-- automatic creation of thumbnails (first frame?)

I realize that there are a myriad of plug-ins available for all the various galleries.  Unfortunately, most of them break with even small updates.

This, I realize, may be a pipe dream due to technical considerations, but it is something I really, really, need.

Thanks

#2 2011-10-13 20:18:42

mlo
2011-10-11

Re: Core Support for Small Video Files

Yes, I'm replying to myself.

I'm doing so to say this is one of the nicest open source server applications I have ever seen.

#3 2011-10-14 00:51:22

Billr
Piwigo Team, forum moderator
2011-06-22

mlo,
Have you tried the plugin PY Gvideo?  I believe it will only link to the video so you'd need to put videos on one of the 6 video websites listed in it's configuration (youtube included).  It could be a short term answer until there is a video upload plugin.

As to which frame is best for a thumbnail, it depends on the video.  I've needed to use frame 4 for a series of fireworks as not all of them had a picture on the first 3 frames.  I've read other people using frame 3.

#4 2011-10-14 02:24:59

mlo
2011-10-11

The main thing I am trying to avoid is using an external service.  I really don't want my materials on a public website.

#5 2011-12-30 14:16:56

freechelmi
Marseille , France
2010-11-07

Embedding HTML5 video in Piwigo is "easy". We can integrate a js script like http://videojs.com for example.

the most difficult part is to generate a thumbnail. Currently you would need ffmpeg  installed on the server with php extension.

#6 2012-01-03 17:20:09

Billr
Piwigo Team, forum moderator
2011-06-22

Extracting a frame or selecting a jpg to represent the movie is best done by hand.  That should be a requirement of the upload.

However, that's at odds with proposed methods of creating different photo sizes dynamically, including thumbnails.

#7 2012-01-03 17:22:19

freechelmi
Marseille , France
2010-11-07

Yes currently I was generating the TN by hand : http://memeteau.com/photos/index.php?/category/31

Maybe the easiest thing would be to patch Piwigo uploader ?

Humm, using firefogg and Firefogg could be great :  http://firefogg.org/dev/index.html  But I don't see a js function to create a thumbnail

Last edited by freechelmi (2012-01-03 17:56:14)

#8 2012-01-20 17:58:17

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

Sorry, but Piwigo is not intended to natively support video...
Only in plugin...

P@t

#9 2012-12-28 10:58:02

A Mesguich

I know Piwigo is intended for pics, but core video support would make it even more amazing and would overshadow all other Piwigo-like open source projects.

I'd be happy to volunteer for the more basic front-end side of things (HTML, CSS) as well as localization to: French, Spanish, and US English

The current plugins are really lacking, and no plugin could have the level of integration that core support would offer, like for example using the existing upload UI as if the video was just one more photo in the pack.

Please consider it, now with good quality mobile recording it's becoming an imperative.

#10 2013-04-13 08:56:21

hwang00
2011-02-18

I do agree multimedia support is one of the main weakness of piwigo.

in otherhand, There are too many formats of audio and videos, so use individual plugin to support particular multimedia file is good.
but ,can piwigo maintain an official guide of "audio and video support with plugins" .

btw The piwigo term said that audio&video support is not the goal of piwigo, what's a pity.

Last edited by hwang00 (2013-04-13 09:10:54)

#11 2013-04-15 01:29:13

ck2013
2013-02-24

Why not let Youtube host your videos? Just install the embedded plugin, it's seamless, works great, and why not save bandwidth/space on your host while you're at it?

Another bonus is that Youtube deals with any video format you can throw at it..

-CK

#12 2013-04-28 22:43:21

freechelmi
Marseille , France
2010-11-07

ck2013 wrote:

Why not let Youtube host your videos? Just install the embedded plugin, it's seamless, works great, and why not save bandwidth/space on your host while you're at it?

Another bonus is that Youtube deals with any video format you can throw at it..

-CK

Well the freedom of hosting your content is important. and you don't know if youtube will put ads before your videos one day.

IMO piwigo-videojs is becoming the best solution for videos, but overridding  the piwigo upload process in a plugin is possible ?

We would need th piwigo uploading to accept the Webm extension, and the plugin to call some php-ffmpeg to extract the tumbnail. seems quite feasible it seems.

#13 2013-08-13 21:56:11

Bpiwigo

Hosting one's own videos is vitally important for EXACTLY the same reasons as hosting one's own photos!  We're using Piwigo for a reason.

"Why not just use Youtube?" is the same question as "Why not just use Flickr/Picasa?"

We don't want to see our photos (and videos) disappear or get altered on a whim (or erroneous DMCA takedown bot).  We don't want to see ads plastered over them at random (which Youtube and Vimeo do already).  We don't want to be dependent on yet another 3rd party hosting company in addition to our web host.

For low volume or family sites, performance and bandwidth are not issues -- we can self host our videos, and it would be wonderful if Piwigo could make that process easier.

Piwigo is a terrific, impressive piece of software for self-hosting photos, and I wish the developers were more interested in extending that ease-of-use to video and audio.  The separation of media into classes is needless and artificial.  (Even so, xbgmsharp is doing some fine work with the videojs plugin.)

Perhaps one motivation is that Piwigo's own hosting business wants to discourage high storage and bandwidth video?  If that's the reason, I would understand it, but it would still be a nice option for those of us on other hosts.

•  » Requests
  •  » Core Support for Small Video Files

Board footer