Announcement

#1 2012-02-19 13:09:42

Gert
2012-02-19

Canon CR2 and piwigo

Hi All,

I'm new to piwigo, just installed it on my server at home. I tried to search for answer on how to use piwigo with Canon CR2-files, but cannot find any topics on the subject?

I can see, that other users show *.cr2 files in piwigo, but how is this done?

btw. Running Ubuntu 11.10, and installed piwigo by "apt-get install piwigo" with MySQL-db/Apache2. Worked like a charm..

thanks

Last edited by Gert (2012-02-19 15:38:50)

#2 2012-02-20 09:53:39

Gert
2012-02-19

Re: Canon CR2 and piwigo

Since my last post, I have been researching to find put how to get piwigo to support Canon raw-format, .CR2.

Still no luck though. Is it a plugin, I have to install?

I really hope that someone out there knows how to get piwigo to support .CR2-files?

thanks..

my setup:
piwigo installed through "sudo apt-get install piwigo" on Ubuntu 11.10, Apache2 and MySql.

#3 2012-02-20 21:59:33

Gert
2012-02-19

hmm.. no one?

not even someone saying "it cant be done" ?

I would have thought, that canon's raw format was a obvious choice for a image gallery? - at least for Canon users...

#4 2012-02-21 09:19:02

wernfried
2012-01-21

Gert wrote:

I would have thought, that canon's raw format was a obvious choice for a image gallery? - at least for Canon users...

I would say .cr2 format is the obvious choice for taking photos and save them on your HDD.

Personally I would never store them in a web image gallery, because
1) Many image viewers are not able to read .cr2 files or they need extra PlugIns.
2) The size of an .cr2 image. Do you expect users to down- or upload 10-20 MByte for a single image? Not everybody has a flat 1 GBit/s Internet connection.

Regards

#5 2012-02-21 15:48:32

Gert
2012-02-19

wernfried wrote:

Gert wrote:

I would say .cr2 format is the obvious choice for taking photos and save them on your HDD.

Personally I would never store them in a web image gallery, because
1) Many image viewers are not able to read .cr2 files or they need extra PlugIns.
2) The size of an .cr2 image. Do you expect users to down- or upload 10-20 MByte for a single image? Not everybody has a flat 1 GBit/s Internet connection.

Regards

Thanks for your point of view, cr2-files i my web-gallery would meet my needs.

Do you know how to get piwigo to support cr2-files?

#6 2012-02-21 21:24:21

Justin

I was interested in this as well but as far as i can tell it's not possible at the moment.

There was an  HD photo plugin which might have worked which i saw reference to but i couldn't find it to even try it.

I do remember seeing somewhere that it was on a wishlist but given the update on the new version it looks like they are concentrating more on usability and integration with desktop software for uploads.

I wouldn't hedge my bets on anything anytime soon.

I would love for someone to prove me wrong though! ;)

#7 2012-02-21 21:48:34

Billr
Piwigo Team, forum moderator
2011-06-22

How exactly do you want to post cr2 files?  If it's just to transmit the file itself, while allowing previews of the file, perhaps there's another way. 

For instance, you could use a program like Digikam to produce web-sized and thumbnail versions of a cr2 file.  Zip the cr2 file.  Move or copy the zipped cr2 file and the other two files (in the proper subdirectories) to your galleries directory of Piwigo.

I'm not sure if the Charlie's plugin works anymore with the current version of Piwigo, but it can handle zip files.

Otherwise, if you want Piwigo to display the actual cr2 file, I don't think that's possible.   You'd be best to use Piwigo as a visual catalog to remotely access the photo you want then download the cr2 file to display it locally with an external viewer.

Bill

#8 2012-02-21 22:23:25

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

CR2 files are "RAW files", these are not images. They need "interpretation" and post-processing to be displayed.
They are huge files that would takes a very long time to be transfered to the visitor's computer.

The point of these files is to be treated in a post-processing software, and then to be exported as "image files" like JPEG or TIFF.

What exactly do you want to do with these files?
Archiving?

#9 2012-02-21 23:21:52

Gert
2012-02-19

Zaphod wrote:

CR2 files are "RAW files", these are not images. They need "interpretation" and post-processing to be displayed.
They are huge files that would takes a very long time to be transfered to the visitor's computer.

The point of these files is to be treated in a post-processing software, and then to be exported as "image files" like JPEG or TIFF.

What exactly do you want to do with these files?
Archiving?

Well, I have phtools iMatch image database, which is a image-database designed to get at structure on my many photos.

Now I'm trying to get my daughter to get a structured entrypoint to storing her photos, taken with my Canon.

iMatch can show the cr2-files, and it is possible to assign categories in order to search the image-database. But it is filesystem-based, so when she is af her mothers, it is not possible (easy) for her to get access to the database.

This is where piwigo enters the picture. As far as I can see, piwigo does some of the same tasks as iMatch, only web-based, enabling her to work on her pictures from any location.

As far as the load time is concerned, I guess it would take approx. 20 sec to load a 20Mb image on a 10Mbit line - this is acceptable (for me - and her).

So - bottom line : I can se no reason why piwigo would not move in the direction of beeing able to show raw-files, in the same manner Canons software and iMatch can. And with the ever groing bandwith (a lot of people in Denmark have fiber-connections 40Mbit/40Mbit bundled with their tv-cabel-signal) I dont see the bandwith as a showstopper.

So, I would not have been surprised if it WAS possible to show cr2-files in piwigo - it seems to me as one of the most capable image-servers out there.

btw. I found this link with google.. http://www.marianneogjohn.dk/piwigo/pic … 6/search/3

but I can see now, that it is only the name that is cr2 - it is still a jpg.

regards..

#10 2012-02-22 13:31:49

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

Gert wrote:

iMatch can show the cr2-files, and it is possible to assign categories in order to search the image-database. But it is filesystem-based, so when she is af her mothers, it is not possible (easy) for her to get access to the database.

iMatch shows its interpretation of RAW data, or shows the JPEG file inside the RAW file?

Two different programs will show the CR2 files in totally different way so it's a very bad way to publish anything.

#11 2012-02-22 21:41:31

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

Gert wrote:

So - bottom line : I can se no reason why piwigo would not move in the direction of beeing able to show raw-files, in the same manner Canons software and iMatch can.

CR2 files are proprietary files, and not documented files.

There are as many types of CR2 files than there are Canon camera using them.
A CR2 from a Canon EOS 40D will not be the same filetype than a CR2 from a Canon EOS 5D.

That's why RAW software are always updated to be able to display files from new cameras.

That means, everytime a new camera is out, someone needs to study the file to see how it is coded, and update the algorithms in order to access RAW data and interpret it, or at least display the JPEG file that is included in.

That gives you an idea of how much work it will be, just to display files that are not intended to be displayed like this.
A RAW files is not an image, it's intented to be post-processed and then developped to be shown.

Last edited by Zaphod (2012-02-22 21:42:25)

#12 2012-02-28 22:36:00

ringdahlphotography
2012-02-28

Is it possible to simply have the raw file associated with a photo available for download? I did not find anything in my searches, so I suspect there is no plugin or other feature that could accomplish this. I do see that you can include a variety of file types using the Charles' content plugin, but that doesn't appear to have a feature to associate specific files with specific images.

I suppose I could simply add additional info to each image with a link to the raw file to download as a quick and dirty solution. But in the long run, I think it would be a nice feature to have the option of downloading raw files associated with images. It would be even better if batch downloading supported this. So, assuming I get confirmation that no such feature exists somewhere already, I may look into creating a plugin to accomplish this.

Board footer