Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » How long does it take to get reply from piwigo.org

#1 2012-03-04 12:23:51

Josh

How long does it take to get reply from piwigo.org

I used the contact form of piwigo.org to send an important message to piwigo.org, more than a month ago, and didn't receive any reply so I sent another one today but I need to know how long does it take to get reply from piwigo.org once contacted through its contact form?

#2 2012-03-20 18:03:12

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Re: How long does it take to get reply from piwigo.org

Haven't got a clue about that. But I'm also seeing a lot of questions/issues that are not getting answered in the forum (including mine).

I realize that the people who write Piwigo and the plugins, themes, etc. have a life. But that works two ways. The people using Piwigo also have a life.

I'm on my 2nd day (way too many hours) trying to get a plugin to play a video. I've only managed to get it to play an FLV file. But FLV is not very good quality. So far no answer from anyone involved with writing Piwigo or the plugins. I'm beginning to wonder if they even look in the forums anymore. I realize Piwigo is free and so are the plugins. But the old saying seems to be holding true, "you get what you pay for".

I'm getting so frustrated about the support here that I'm looking for another gallery program. At this point if someone asked what I thought of Piwigo, I would tell them that it's not the easiest to set up, although if you can figure it out it does work well. But that the support is lacking in response to finding help.

Just sayin'!

#3 2012-03-20 18:18:05

lisaviolet
san diego, california
2011-01-03

NWS wrote:

Haven't got a clue about that. But I'm also seeing a lot of questions/issues that are not getting answered in the forum (including mine).

I realize that the people who write Piwigo and the plugins, themes, etc. have a life. But that works two ways. The people using Piwigo also have a life.

I'm on my 2nd day (way too many hours) trying to get a plugin to play a video. I've only managed to get it to play an FLV file. But FLV is not very good quality. So far no answer from anyone involved with writing Piwigo or the plugins. I'm beginning to wonder if they even look in the forums anymore. I realize Piwigo is free and so are the plugins. But the old saying seems to be holding true, "you get what you pay for".

I'm getting so frustrated about the support here that I'm looking for another gallery program. At this point if someone asked what I thought of Piwigo, I would tell them that it's not the easiest to set up, although if you can figure it out it does work well. But that the support is lacking in response to finding help.

Just sayin'!

I don't think the developers of some of the plugins have been keeping them current with the Piwigo upgrades.  I'm also unable to get videos working they way they should (do a search for my posts, you'll see what I mean), so I just started using the Py Gvideo plugin and pull my video off of YouTube.

#4 2012-03-20 18:25:18

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I haven't been able to get anything in Charlie's content to play anything other than flv files.

The problem is I need something that will stream videos off my own webhost. I've had people complain that youtube can't stream them fast enough. I streamed them before using a different gallery program and people told me they streamed really nice.

That plugin won't let me use the URL on my server. So now I'm stuck again.

Last edited by NWS (2012-03-20 18:41:15)

#5 2012-03-20 20:14:13

P@t
Piwigo Team
Nice
2007-06-13

Charlie's content is no longer maintained by its author...
Maybe you will get some awnser from piwigo users...

P@t

#6 2012-03-20 20:26:57

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

P@t wrote:

Charlie's content is no longer maintained by its author...
Maybe you will get some awnser from piwigo users...

Thanks. I tried another one which will also play flv files, but still can't find one that plays avi.

#7 2012-03-20 22:41:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Basically, Josh contacted us to ask Piwigo.org to promote his hosting service. We receive this kind of request at least once a week (Piwigo.org has a good enough PageRank to be "interesting" for advertisement). If we do not consider the request relevant we do not answer every single time. So this is not related to the delay on support topics.

NWS, let's be 100% honest on my side: Piwigo was not designed to host and share videos. I consider that video is a different job: you have to "prepare" the video, make sure it will work on desktop, smartphones and tablets with different connection speed. I currently consider that the best option to integrate videos on a Piwigo gallery is to use [extension by mistic100] Embedded Videos (ie, host your video outside Piwigo). Charlies is said as "compatible" but is not maintained any more.

#8 2012-03-20 23:15:39

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

plg wrote:

Basically, Josh contacted us to ask Piwigo.org to promote his hosting service. We receive this kind of request at least once a week (Piwigo.org has a good enough PageRank to be "interesting" for advertisement). If we do not consider the request relevant we do not answer every single time. So this is not related to the delay on support topics.

NWS, let's be 100% honest on my side: Piwigo was not designed to host and share videos. I consider that video is a different job: you have to "prepare" the video, make sure it will work on desktop, smartphones and tablets with different connection speed. I currently consider that the best option to integrate videos on a Piwigo gallery is to use [extension by mistic100] Embedded Videos (ie, host your video outside Piwigo). Charlies is said as "compatible" but is not maintained any more.

Thank you plg! Charlie's will play FLV files. I've managed to get a better quality flv file so that's an improvement. I also tried the other plugin which I can only get to play flv files. If I can get a high enough quality file then I'll be a happy camper. I don't get much traffic from people that aren't on a desktop or laptop so  I'm not so worried about people on phones.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by NWS (2012-03-20 23:16:47)

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » How long does it take to get reply from piwigo.org

Board footer