Announcement

#1 2012-05-25 22:56:03

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

Cookies and UK/EU legislation

I use the Community plugin and have 'users' does the new Cookies UK/EU legislation have effect upon my UK hosted Piwigo gallery, am I supposed to tell my users that cookies are used and ask consent ?
Anyone got any ideas on this - other than it might be a pain

#2 2012-05-26 21:32:35

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Cookies and UK/EU legislation

Hello
what's this legislation ? what you need to do to be conform ?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2012-05-26 22:16:24

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

new UK/EU legislation that comes into effect 26 May 2012 (today) in the UK, its a EU directive so the rest of the EU will have to comply - sooner or latter.
All websites must ask users for  'explicit consent' to set cookies on their computer - bit more complex than that but basically what's required.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations … okies.aspx
And as Piwigo sets cookies ?

#4 2012-05-27 09:54:16

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I know this legislation. I admit I really wonder how the "big players" will manage this new constraint. All websites with an authentication system use cookies nowadays.

The data contained in a cookie for Piwigo is not very "sensitive" : a session identifier, a few display settings.

Piwigo is very respectful of your privacy (and the privacy of your visitors). I don't think we're the first target of this legislation.

#5 2012-05-27 10:44:18

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

I've done a bit more searching on this and 'probably' as Piwigo doesn't have any third party tracking type cookies then an update of the sign up Terms and Conditions agreement to explicitly explain the cookie types used and that by accepting the agreement the user is allowing cookies to be set will be enough.
That might already be in the Piwigo sign up bit ? - don't think in 15 years of using computers I've ever done more than skim read a sign up Agreement.
One of those EU laws that most of Europe will as much as possible ignore - except for UK bureaucrats who'll delight in 'being right' regardless

Board footer