Announcement

#1 2012-10-14 00:18:40

geeman
2012-10-12

Group permissions with registered users

I am investigating Piwigo with a 30 day trial hosted version and so far, I really like what I see.  However, the downside I see is the user authorization capabilities. 

I am wanting to do something similar to this post: [Forum, topic 18401] Confused on how to setup permissions...

However, in my case I want all registered users to be able to have full access to a particular album that I create that also has sub-albums dedicated for each individual.  I am not concerned about UserA uploading a photo into UserB's sub-album.  I do want the ability for each of these registered users to create sub-albums that are viewable and uploadable by the other users. 

To try to accomplish this, I have installed the Community plugin and renamed the Community album that gets created as a result of the install.  I made this album 'private'  and set up a 'default' group that gets applied to each user when they register.  I used the "permissions" tab on the album and added this new group in the "permissions granted for groups" field.  I also selected the flag to 'apply to sub-albums' under the permissions tab and saved it.

This seems to work fine for existing albums.  However, if a user creates any sub-album in the tree under this album, no one can see this album until an administrator (me) goes in and either specifically adds the group in the "permissions granted for groups" on the newly created sub-album or, goes to an album/sub-album higher in the tree and sets the 'apply to sub-albums' flag and re-saves.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? There are a few other annoyances with permissions.  However, if I can get this problem solved where I don't have to constantly be administering subalbums before my friends/family can use them, I'm sold.  Otherwise, I will have to go back to looking at Zen where this can be done, but just more cumbersome and less user friendly.

#2 2012-10-15 19:47:32

geeman
2012-10-12

Re: Group permissions with registered users

anyone?

#3 2012-10-16 21:04:08

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi geeman,

When you create a sub-album in a private album, permissions are not transfered from the parent album. (sorry for such coding details) here is what happens in Piwigo 2.4 :

Code:

if ('private' == $insert['status'])
  {
    add_permission_on_category($inserted_id, array_unique(array_merge(get_admins(), array($user['id']))));
  }

(from the create_virtual_category function)

It means that when you create a new album, Piwigo automatically gives permissions to administrators and to the user creating the album (which may not be an administrator if you use Community as you do).

You're right to say that the "apply to sub-albums" checkbox only works "one shot", it is not a persistent option.

Now the question is "should we change the behavior of Piwigo and automatically inherit permissions from father when creating a private sub-album?". It could be an advanced configuration setting. What do you think?

#4 2012-10-16 21:19:20

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

plg wrote:

Now the question is "should we change the behavior of Piwigo and automatically inherit permissions from father when creating a private sub-album?". It could be an advanced configuration setting. What do you think?

in the facts, the albums trend to be less and less permissive when we go from the top to the bottom of the tree album :
-1 (admin, all uploader/customer)
--1.1 (admin, uploader/customer 1)
--1.2 (admin, uploader/customer 2)
or don't change
-1 (admin, subscribers)
--1.1 (admin, subscribers)
--1.2 (admin, subscribers)
These are the 2 cases
In the first case, all uploader/customer will access -temporary- to the album, which is why we coded piwigo this way. In the second case, it's disturbing for the admin who may think subscribers will see the new private albums.
The only solution I see to be perfect in both cases is a check-box 'inherit from partent album' or 2 radios button 'inherit from partent album'/'Manage the rights later', on the album creation if the parent is private. But technically it means an ajax call to check the status of the parent album, isn't?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2012-10-16 21:57:04

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

plg wrote:

I think an advanced option is the right thing ...

#6 2012-10-17 05:02:14

geeman
2012-10-12

Yes, I agree and I would not have any issue with setting an advanced option that allows for the administrator to, with full knowledge, explicitly set this behavior.  I think this would be a valuable option for other users, as well.

Thanks for the consideration and hopefully it is something that could be made available in the near future.  Again, I really like what I see in this product and want to say thanks to all that have contributed to its creation.  Its ease of use, simplicity, and overall design makes it a very attractive tool compared to the others I have looked at.

#7 2012-12-17 12:39:44

miblo69
Stockholm, Sweden
2012-06-05

I agree to this feature. It would be vary handy to automatically inherit rights form the Parent album.

Today i use Local Synch, and any new album is not visible until i explicitly allow it.

Thanks,
~Mike

#8 2012-12-18 03:01:30

Charles2012
2012-11-04

I think this would be an excellent feature to add!!

#9 2013-01-09 13:16:38

Protege

This would be a great option to see added to this fantastic product.

Thank you to all that have contributed!!

#10 2015-02-06 15:12:13

miblo69
Stockholm, Sweden
2012-06-05

Has this Feature Request been looked into? I'm using 2.7 now and still have the same problems with Synchronization not inheriting rights from Top Levels.

After a 'Quick Synch' I still need to go to Albums/Manage/Permissions/Apply to Sub-Albums for the users to see any newly added albums.

Thanks!

~Mike

#11 2015-02-06 15:42:40

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

miblo69 wrote:

Has this Feature Request been looked into? I'm using 2.7 now and still have the same problems with Synchronization not inheriting rights from Top Levels.

After a 'Quick Synch' I still need to go to Albums/Manage/Permissions/Apply to Sub-Albums for the users to see any newly added albums.

Thanks!

~Mike

have you checked more recent post? could you have a look on the local config?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#12 2015-02-06 16:57:33

miblo69
Stockholm, Sweden
2012-06-05

flop25 wrote:

have you checked more recent post? could you have a look on the local config?

Can you pls clarify. Which Post are you referring to?
Should I look in 'config_default.inc.php'? For what parameter?

Board footer