Announcement

#1 2010-09-14 23:13:00

irishpin
2010-09-14

How to tag names on to the pictures in our gallery?

I am new to Piwigo and need help how to tag the names of people in my photos, so when others view the pictures, they will see the names? Facebook has this type of tagging.

#2 2010-09-15 00:25:57

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: How to tag names on to the pictures in our gallery?

I'm not very familiar with Facebook photo management so I'm not sure to understand your question.

When you say "tag the names of people in my photos", do you mean:
1) notes inside the photo with a rectangle displaying a tooltip when mouse is over? (like FlickR notes?)
2) textual tags with the name of people visible in the photo?

#3 2010-09-15 00:31:33

irishpin
2010-09-14

Yes to your question #1: notes inside the photo with a rectangle displaying a tooltip ( The Name of the person) when mouse is over? (like FlickR notes?)

#4 2010-09-15 00:39:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

An do you search for automatic face recognition or simply manually creating notes?

(whatever your answer to that question, Piwigo doesn't do it currently)

#5 2010-09-15 00:42:08

irishpin
2010-09-14

Create mannuely, and I hope they do add it soon. Thank you for your assistance.

#6 2011-01-10 21:39:36

maxxer
2011-01-10

any news on this?
I'd also like very much to tag areas of the pictures.

#7 2011-04-05 18:01:41

raji

plg wrote:

I'm not very familiar with Facebook photo management so I'm not sure to understand your question.

When you say "tag the names of people in my photos", do you mean:
1) notes inside the photo with a rectangle displaying a tooltip when mouse is over? (like FlickR notes?)
2) textual tags with the name of people visible in the photo?

#8 2012-11-09 09:40:12

telerider

Gallery is also able to tag faces. Automatic recognition is not necessary. The tags should be linked to a database (e. g. from the genealogy software webtrees).

#9 2012-11-09 10:38:52

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

telerider wrote:

Gallery is also able to tag faces. Automatic recognition is not necessary. The tags should be linked to a database (e. g. from the genealogy software webtrees).

Yes but with a plugin ... Maybe someone will develop a plugin for piwigo ...

#10 2013-06-06 10:21:51

telerider

Still waiting for a plugin...

#11 2014-10-20 17:24:35

ddoyle022
2014-09-24

I'd also like to vote for this.

At the simplest, allow a tag to also have a top-left and bottom-right pair of coordinates associated with it on a photo.  Then create a DIV over that region, and another near it, and apply some simple styling on hover.  Outline the first DIV and add the tag name into the 2nd DIV.  Or, forego the hover an have a checkbox that turns on and off all the tagged regions. 

To create the regions, it would be great to click on the photo and drag the mouse to the ending point and release, at which point the region shows up and a box to enter the tag is required.  If none is entered, the region is removed.  A slight enhancement that could make this even more useful is to let users decide if the tag is or is not indexed.  This way a tag that is useful only in the context of the photo can be added, without it showing up in the tag cloud.

Tagging a region seems like it would be incredibly helpful for photo software.  A couple of use-cases that come to mind:
- There are 3 people in the photo and I want to make it clear which person is which,
- There's an areal shot of a neighborhood and I want to tag which house is the one I lived in.
- There is something of interest in the photo but it is not apparently what it would be and I want to mark it.
- There is something deep in the background that is important and why the picture is relevant, and not the thing in the foreground.

I'm sure there are many more.  In all, it seems like this would really provide a great richness to people's photo archives.

#12 2015-01-06 10:22:28

Erik

Hi!

This is a great idea. Does anyone have any update on this kind of feature?

I am using Piwigo for a family photoalbum and it would be great to be able to tag all those black and white old photos to see who´s who in the picture.

Cheers,
Erik

#13 2015-01-06 14:48:45

kenl
2013-01-12

Hello Eric,

If you are pc-based, you can tag faces with Google Picasa and then transfer the photos to Piwigo using Picasa2Piwigo (http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=680) or Picture2Piwigo (http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=784).

Either extension will upload the photos to Piwigo and create tags in Piwigo for the faces.

Regards,
KenL

#14 2016-07-25 07:58:30

telerider

Face Tags exported from Picasa, Facebook or other Applications loose information about the position of the person in the picture.
There should be a new plugin that allows "real" face tagging and uses the information of a personal database.

Board footer