Announcement

#16 2012-12-04 08:18:27

smitt
USofA
2012-12-01

Re: IPTC and Keywords

Hi,
The code that faqvideo posted did not work for me.
My resultant error was:

Code:

Warning:  [mysql error 1054] Unknown column 'iptc_city' in 'field list'

UPDATE piwigo_images
  SET filesize = '4767',
    width = '3072',
    height = '2304',
    date_creation = '2009-06-06 14:32:07',
    iptc_city = 'Humboldt Redwoods State Park',
    iptc_sublocation = 'Garden Club of America Grove, Av',
    iptc_province_state = 'California',
    iptc_country = 'United States of America',
    iptc_country_code = 'USA',
    iptc_byline = 'ME',
    iptc_date_created = '20090606',
    iptc_object_name = '090606-1641',
    iptc_copyright_notice = 'Copyright ME 2009. All Rights Reserved',
    date_metadata_update = '2012-12-03'
  WHERE id = '9' in /home/mydomain/public_html/photos/include/dblayer/functions_mysql.inc.php on line 770

My sample.jpg:

Code:

IPTC Fields in sample.jpg

2#000 = 
2#005 = 090606-1641
2#055 = 20090606
2#060 = 000000+0000
2#080 = ME
2#090 = Humboldt Redwoods State Park
2#092 = Garden Club of America Grove, Av
2#095 = California
2#100 = USA
2#101 = United States of America
2#116 = Copyright ME 2009. All Rights Reserved
2#221 = 0:0:0:001641

If I delete the line for "iptc_city", the next error is for "iptc_sublocation" (for which is truncated "Garden Club of America Grove, Avenue of the Giants" ). If I delete "iptc_sublocation", error is for "iptc_province_state", and so on down the list.

Line 770 is:

Code:

trigger_error($error, E_USER_WARNING);

A search came up some posts a couple years old on the piwigo  French language discussions, but I fear google translate didn't work out well for me. ;P
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Piwigo 2.4.5
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 5.3.16 (Show info) [2012-12-04 00:16:02]
mysql: 5.1.65-cll [2012-12-04 00:16:02]
Graphics Library: External ImageMagick 6.5.4-7

#17 2012-12-04 15:34:15

faqvideo
2012-01-21

It works for me. First - check if you replaced entire METADATA section in your code with the one posted on the previous page: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19744&p=1  ?

Secondly - it is not clear how did you get to the point. How do you enter your IPTC data? I am using either Photoshop or Geosetter. Then only data entered shows in Piwigo. The rest is not shown, it just does not appear under the IPTC tab. If I choose not to enter any IPTC data, the IPTC tab does not show either.

Would it be possible for the Piwigo team to include IPTC data in one of the upgrades?

#18 2012-12-05 06:40:22

smitt
USofA
2012-12-01

Hello again,
Image properties were added with Photomechanic and Adobe Bridge CS4. To clarify on my issue, I see the iptc information with the iptc designation key displayed on the photo page. The error I posted is spit out when I upload an image or synchronize the metadata.  I tested the "LES META-DONNEES " code from the French side of Piwigo and it didn't throw up any errors.  I compared the two and discovered the cause of error, but I don't understand why it does it. Slimming down your code, faqvideo, to match the default French code in the use_iptc_mapping section processed correctly, but using any more and it would error.
works

Code:

$conf['use_iptc_mapping'] = array(
'keywords'        => '2#025',
'author'          => '2#122',
'name'            => '2#105',
'comment'         => '2#120'
);

does not work

Code:

$conf['use_iptc_mapping'] = array(
  'iptc_headline'     => '2#105',
  'iptc_caption'         => '2#120',
  'iptc_city'         => '2#090',
  'iptc_sublocation'     => '2#092',
  'iptc_province_state'  => '2#095',
  'iptc_country'     => '2#101',
  'iptc_country_code'     => '2#100',
  'iptc_keywords'        => '2#025',
  'iptc_caption_writer'  => '2#122',
  'iptc_byline'         => '2#080',
  'iptc_byline_title'    => '2#085',
  'iptc_object_attribute'=> '2#004',
  'iptc_newscode'     => '2#012',
  'iptc_date_created'     => '2#055',
  'iptc_writer_editor'     => '2#122',
  'iptc_instructions'     => '2#040',
  'iptc_job_id'         => '2#103',
  'iptc_object_name'     => '2#005',
  'iptc_copyright_notice'=> '2#116',
  'iptc_credit'         => '2#110',
  'iptc_source'         => '2#115',
  'iptc_contact'     => '2#118'
  );

Displaying the IPTC information is nice, but I would really like to use it in a search. ;-)
I suspect that I am missing a step?
Thank you.

Last edited by smitt (2012-12-05 06:44:23)

#19 2012-12-05 07:05:43

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Do you have a link to one of pictures, so you can test it on our side? Thx

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#20 2012-12-05 07:37:24

smitt
USofA
2012-12-01

flop25 wrote:

Do you have a link to one of pictures, so you can test it on our side? Thx

Here is a 'Wetransfer' link. (4.9 MB)
I very much appreciate your help!

#21 2012-12-10 11:41:37

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Sry about the delay

" it would error" => what kind of errors you got?
Did you used : piwigo/tools/metadata.php put your sample.jpeg file in that folder
I got :

Informations are read from sample.jpg
IPTC Fields in sample.jpg

2#000 = 
2#005 = 090606-1641
2#055 = 20090606
2#060 = 000000+0000
2#080 = ME
2#090 = Humboldt Redwoods State Park
2#092 = Garden Club of America Grove, Av
2#095 = California
2#100 = USA
2#101 = United States of America
2#116 = Copyright ME 2009. All Rights Reserved
2#221 = 0:0:0:001641

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#22 2013-03-30 13:43:04

fum
2013-03-30

Hello, I am new here first, greetings to all.

I just installed Piwigo 2.5.0 in local server, the keyword search for my project is substantial.
I tried the solution proposed by faqvideo, replacing code metadata section in "config_default.inc.php" and got exactly the same error as Smitt ...
I'm not clear if the issue is resolved, the last response Flop 25 I think that leaves the outstanding issue ...
I would like to continue my project with Piwigo, but I really need to use searching by keywords...
Any help is welcome, thanks and greetings!

PD: Sorry for my poor English, I hope you can understand me!

#23 2013-03-30 14:24:52

faqvideo
2012-01-21

As somebody mentioned earlier, the error probably has something to do with the French language installation. I have added the code after 2.5 upgrade to my English language installation, and it works fine again.

Mind you, if the keyword search is essential for your site only, then you may and should rely on the tag system built in the Piwigo. IPTC is no much help here anyway.

#24 2013-03-30 15:46:41

fum
2013-03-30

Hi Faqvideo, thanks for your response.
I have installed the 2.5 in Spanish, (perhaps drawback is the same as in French?) 'll Try it in English ... So allow me to move forward ...
For me the important thing is that Piwigo correctly read EXIF and IPTC metadata added in photo editing using Lightroom, and use them in searches.
No task could double it again in the proper application of Piwigo.

#25 2013-03-30 16:28:59

faqvideo
2012-01-21

I believe the Piwigo search engine considers tags only. I can't recall seeing any plugin translating IPTC and/or EXIF values into tags. It would probably require redesigning entire search engine rather than adding a plugin.

From what I see the Piwigo team is not interested in moving from proprietary tag system to the IPTC standard. After major overhaul and upgrade to 2.5, the IPTC tagging is still turned off by default. Never mind any implementation of the search engine in that field.

But one needs to understand and appreciate the nature of the open source project, such as Piwigo. It is not designed to be used by commercial photographers, but mostly by the enthusiasts. Or, if one is a commercial photographer and a programmer at the same time, they can write new code to suite their needs.

If one can hire a programmer to tweak the Piwigo to their needs, I would suggest they may be better off signing up with [alternative paid service]. This is in my opinion the best paid commercial photography online service ever designed. Obvious difference between the open source and the commercial service is that one has to provide their credit card number to enjoy the benefits of the latter.

Initially I was thinking of moving from [alternative paid service] to my own Piwigo based site. I ended up keeping an account with [alternative paid service] and creating three Piwigo sites, all for different purposes.

And needless to say I am still holding my breath in hopes of the Piwigo team to start looking into the IPTC and EXIF data benefits. Happy Easter!

edit by plg: please use your own blog to promote Photo***

The entry has been edited by me - faqvideo. You are definitely ahead of any competition among the open source photo storage platforms. Keep it on.

Last edited by faqvideo (2013-03-31 01:04:57)

#26 2013-03-30 20:18:26

fum
2013-03-30

I see that the case is quite complex to search on metadata. Anyway, these days I experienced Coppermine, and if this issue is solved. Unfortunately I do not like the aesthetics of the proposed themes and also the user interface.
This makes a very reasonable your consideration about professional and amateur sites.
I am a professional photographer, and I will seriously consider hiring Photo*** service, can be a very good option. In that case I will through your link, of course.
However, the cost makes me think ... I am facing this possibility as a side project, without trouble, and I do not expect to have an immediate return.
It is also valuable if all these technical issues are well resolved and my work focuses on what it should be.
If possible I would like to know your Photo*** site, page of them do not see links to sites you're working, just the demos, if you were so kind could you send me the link in an email.

Thank you very much for the information and ideas, I will examine the possibilities and defining the project.
Happy Easter too.

#27 2013-03-31 00:28:22

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi faqvideo,

I really don't agree with what you have posted earlier this day. Here come my replies:

faqvideo wrote:

I believe the Piwigo search engine considers tags only. I can't recall seeing any plugin translating IPTC and/or EXIF values into tags. It would probably require redesigning entire search engine rather than adding a plugin.

Piwigo core search engine uses Piwigo photo properties: title, description, tags, author. Piwigo can read IPTC and fill photo properties from IPTC. The search engine can't directly use IPTC or it would be far too slow. The IPTC must be extracted from photos and inserted into database. This is what Piwigo does.

You can also use [extension by grum] Advanced Metadata + [extension by grum] Advanced Search Engine (not compatible yet with Piwigo 2.5) which provides advanced search options, on more fields extracted from photo metadata.

faqvideo wrote:

[...] 2.5, the IPTC tagging is still turned off by default.

Yes, still turned off by default. I agree it should be turned on by default.

faqvideo wrote:

But one needs to understand and appreciate the nature of the open source project, such as Piwigo. It is not designed to be used by commercial photographers [...]

I fully and strongly not agree with these words. Piwigo is widely used by pro/commercial photographers. I admit that it is not designed to sell photos (even if [extension by plg] PayPal Shopping Cart exists) such as the website you have quoted.

faqvideo wrote:

[...] I would suggest they may be better off signing up with Photo***

Promoting such a competitor on piwigo.org is not very appreciated, especially if we consider it as a proprietary solution. Please use your blog for this :-)

#28 2013-03-31 01:00:39

faqvideo
2012-01-21

plg wrote:

Hi faqvideo,

I really don't agree with what you have posted earlier this day. Here come my replies:

faqvideo wrote:

Piwigo core search engine uses Piwigo photo properties: title, description, tags, author. Piwigo can read IPTC and fill photo properties from IPTC. The search engine can't directly use IPTC or it would be far too slow. The IPTC must be extracted from photos and inserted into database. This is what Piwigo does.

You can also use [extension by grum] Advanced Metadata + [extension by grum] Advanced Search Engine (not compatible yet with Piwigo 2.5) which provides advanced search options, on more fields extracted from photo metadata.

Hi Pierrick, I did not mean to insult. I tried to simulate search from the Home page using the IPTC keywords, and it did not work for me. So I am assuming it does not work. Am I doing anything wrong?

faqvideo wrote:

[...] 2.5, the IPTC tagging is still turned off by default.

Yes, still turned off by default. I agree it should be turned on by default.

I am glad we agreed on that.

faqvideo wrote:

But one needs to understand and appreciate the nature of the open source project, such as Piwigo. It is not designed to be used by commercial photographers [...]

I fully and strongly not agree with these words. Piwigo is widely used by pro/commercial photographers. I admit that it is not designed to sell photos (even if [extension by plg] PayPal Shopping Cart exists) such as the website you have quoted.

faqvideo wrote:

[...] I would suggest they may be better off signing up with Photo***

Promoting such a competitor on piwigo.org is not very appreciated, especially if we consider it as a proprietary solution. Please use your blog for this :-)

Sorry, I did not realize you were trying to compete with the namesake project. But I do appreciate what you and entire Piwigo team had done so far - it is very impressive indeed.

#29 2013-03-31 16:03:19

fum
2013-03-30

Hello pig, my apologies if I've touched on so inconvenient. I'm investigating all possibilities to advance my project.
Piwigo from what I saw, has very good functionality in many ways. I really appreciate and value the open source ventures and your works.
I want to have your guidance on the subject of the search through the IPTC, what is the best way to solve this issue? I have no programming knowledge, but if I can edit a file and add or remove code if necessary. I would like to try if is in my chances.
It is important to search for metadata because this is a laborious process in the photographer's workflow, duplicate to enter tags manually Piwigo system would be cumbersome and cause of differences between the site and the own archive.
Best wishes, and I hope this gives a contribution to understand the workflow needs of photographers.
Greetings.

#30 2013-04-21 02:40:14

photo_friend
Berlin
1970-01-01

Hello,

for me is this topic also really import. At the moment I use the Lightroom importer and a special script to convert the IPTC and EXIF in tags (Jeffrey’s “Run Any Command” Lightroom Export Plugin). But this is just a bad work around, because anytime I change anything on the tags I must upload again the whole photo. With over 50.000 photos in my gallery always some tags change and sometimes it takes days to upload all photos with changes.

I tried the "Advanced Metadata", but this plugin doesn't work with version 2.5. I really tried to get it run, but I dont't get it. The latest error I got is:

Warning:  [mysql error 126] Incorrect key file for table '/tmp/#sql_6bd_15.MYI'; try to repair it
SELECT att.value AS value,
                      COUNT(DISTINCT att.imageId) AS nbPictures,
                      IF(ptt.name IS NULL, 'n', 'y') AS tagExists,
                      COUNT(DISTINCT pit.image_id) AS nbPicturesTagged
                    FROM (amd_temp_tags att LEFT JOIN piwigo_tags  ptt ON att.value = ptt.name)
                      LEFT JOIN piwigo_image_tag pit ON pit.tag_id = ptt.id
                    GROUP BY att.value
                    HAVING nbPicturesTagged < nbPictures
                    ORDER BY att.value in /var/www/vhosts/XXXXXX/httpdocs/photo/include/dblayer/functions_mysqli.inc.php on line 813
No keyword that can be converted has been found

Any solution would be helpful. Maybe a update from the plugin "Advanced Metadata" would be a solution.

Thanks so much
Hagen

Last edited by photo_friend (2013-04-21 02:42:45)

Board footer