Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Complete newbie, looking for Piwigo / Gallery3 comparisons

#1 2012-12-22 08:56:24

CaptainStarbuck
2012-12-22

Complete newbie, looking for Piwigo / Gallery3 comparisons

I have Gallery3 installed and have been very frustrated with its limitations. I don't even remember all of the issues but in short:
- Not enough metadata
- Inability to search/sort by metadata (date range, complex tags)
- Not enough control over permissions assigned to each user (add comment vs change comment, delete image, add tags, change other metadata, etc)
- Too many dead plugins

My primary use of a photo gallery at this point is to host albums for family members. Almost all of the images are scanned from hardcopy, so there is no EXIF data.:

- Some people have access to some albums. Only an admin would have access to all.
- No one except an admin can delete a photo ( a concept which seems foreign in G3 ).
- Authorized visitors (not just admins and not just album owners) should be able to add comments and tags.
-  Most pictures have no date, we only know the "era" of the pictures, like 1960's. It would be great if we could add a date range during which a photo might have been taken, like 1960 to 1964 and then do searches for images within that range.
- Same for location. A picture might have been taken in Chicago, or somewhere else in Illinois. It would be ideal to do searches based on location, rather than using the convention of adding location into the general purpose tags.
- It would be great for album owners (and no one else) to be able to do mass changes of specific tags: Change "frankie" to "Uncle Frank".
- Changes should be logged for album owner approval/correction. (This is something else not supported well or at all by G3). Visitors abusing their change privileges should have them modified without losing their ability to login for viewing.

I can do minor PHP maintenance but I'm not qualified to write new plugins, so I'm hoping I can find everything I need here.

Is Piwigo my new home, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!!

#2 2012-12-22 13:53:46

pewe
2012-03-16

Re: Complete newbie, looking for Piwigo / Gallery3 comparisons

Some of what you ask for in your OP is worded specific to your requirements to do things which may be possible - but not necessarily exactly as you phrased it - and no one individual user may have done everything that is possible out of what you require.

I would suggest that rather than wait for the developers to find time (they are normally very busy and it is Xmas after all) to comment on your post you should either:

Install a copy of Piwigo and 'play with it' over the holidays
or

Once you have done that, and tried some of the many plug-ins available, you will be able to ask specific questions (one per post) that developers or users familiar with the specific topic could answer.

Merry Xmas and happy Piwiwgoing.

#3 2012-12-22 15:16:14

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

Hi install piwigo add Community and Icy Modify Picture plugins and as pewe says 'start playing'
Does sound like Piwigo will do what you want but the only way to be certain is to try it
Both Community and Icy Modify Picture plugins are well developer supported and have questions and answers in the forum

#4 2012-12-22 20:14:27

CaptainStarbuck
2012-12-22

That's all welcome and rational commentary - thanks!

Just knowing that we're "close" on some/most of the requirements is encouraging. I completely understand the nature of FOSS, the generosity of people who provide free (libre/beer) software, and the need to do some coding for personalization. If I can get most of what I want then I'll try to code or commission the rest and contribute back to the community. Where I am now, G3 is just too far away and coding into that platform doesn't help the world much. :)

I will post back here in a couple weeks after giving it a work out - and yes I will also focus on specific questions in other threads.

Thanks again.

#5 2012-12-22 20:49:22

pewe
2012-03-16

Good luck with your investigations.

And please do let us know how you get on.

#6 2012-12-22 23:15:32

CaptainStarbuck
2012-12-22

OMG: Newb to pro in a matter of hours...

I installed Piwigo and was amazed at how complete and well constructed the baseline is. The UI is elegant. I've created sub-albums, added users and groups and modified permissions. I've found and changed settings that I wanted/expected. I haven't seen anything that makes me roll my eyes like with other packages.

Then I started adding and configuring plugins, and watching the effects in the UI as each is enabled.
OMG: I think I've found everything I need. Everything is easy to setup. The quality is very high.

I've found a few very minor bugs in different places in core and plugins but will research, report, and attempt to correct these as time permits.

Now I need to work out how to import everything from Gallery3 - or probably better, just forget about that and batch upload everything from scratch. Then I need to ensure all user permissions are appropriate for the intended audience, start inviting people to visit, and note questions and problems as we get more people in.

As a developer, I'm very impressed.
As a user, I'm very thankful to everyone who has contributed.
And now as time permits I'll do my part to contribute whether in code, docs, or answering what I can in the forum.

Thanks all!

Last edited by CaptainStarbuck (2012-12-22 23:16:35)

#7 2012-12-23 01:30:34

pewe
2012-03-16

Well done CS - nothing like being a Pro ;-)

For uploading there are various options (the admin panel, ftp, direct from apps such as Lightroom, from mobile devices etc), but nothing for directly importing from other web locations.

Anyway, glad to hear you're up and running - and satisfied - in such a short time.

Credit to those who developed such a user friendly yet flexible system eh??

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Complete newbie, looking for Piwigo / Gallery3 comparisons

Board footer