•  » Requests
  •  » [resolved] Better information in head section

#1 2013-01-01 11:28:06

buffyiscool
Northumberland, UK
2012-12-08

[resolved] Better information in head section

Hi all

First let me wish you all a Happy and Prosperous 2013.

This request has probably been mentioned before but, would it be possible to have better information in the head section on both the homepage and photo album pages. There are two specific items I am interested in:

The following is the description meta tag taken from one of my gallery pages at

http://wearmouthfamilyphotos.comze.com/ … ategory/10

<meta name="description" content="Home / Out and About / Bolam Lake">

I would really like the description meta tag to contain the information I enter into the album description block. For example: "Photos taken at Bolam Lake Country Park, situated in the heart of the Northumberland countryside. More information about Bolam Lake Country Park, including contact details can be found here."

Addition of a meta name="keywords" tag which would, on the album thumbnail pages automatically add the tags used into the keywords meta tag. For example, on the above url there is no keywords meta tag, but this could have the tags I use in my album:
<meta name="keywords" content="Bolam, Branch, Duck, Fungi, Lake, Nest, Sculpture, Swan, Tree">

This would be more beneficial for search engine optimization also.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance and all the best to the piwigo team and forum members.

Colin

#2 2013-01-01 12:39:23

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: [resolved] Better information in head section

Hello

I answer to 2 : keywords are no longer used by search engines because "in the first ages of the web" webmaster tried to fool robots with irealevant keywords

#3 2013-01-01 13:54:22

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

I agree the bots doesn't rely too much on meta informations -the content (image description, image filename, ...) is important-  but they are still read, and by other tools.
Also, maybe 2 page with the same content, one with meta descriptors and the other without, will not be equal.

There is [extension by ddtddt] Meta , but we may add this in the core

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#4 2013-01-01 20:46:52

buffyiscool
Northumberland, UK
2012-12-08

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Interesting and informative, I wasn't aware the search engines were not relying on keywords now. Been a while since I did any web design stuff.

I had thought of the Meta extension but wondered if it would allow me to remove any meta data already in the head, e.g. the description tag, or if having two tags with the same name would make any difference.

Would be cool if were introduced into the core.

Once again thanks for replying. Hope you both have a good new year and please accept my best wishes for 2013.

Regards
Colin

ps Will mark thread resolved.

•  » Requests
  •  » [resolved] Better information in head section

Board footer