Announcement

#1 2013-01-17 02:16:59

quixote
2008-05-10

[resolved] how to make piwigo 2.4.6 NOT generate thumbnails?

I'd like it to use the thumbnails I already have. They're in subdirectories called "thumbnail" for each directory of photos. Each thumb has a TN- prefix. They're square and use the middle 85% of the photo, so to my eye they're more pleasing than the variety of shapes that piwigo generates. But I can't find where to tell it to use mine rather than create them anew each time the page loads.

Thanks to all here at the forums. You've been wonderful helping me through this upgrade I put off for way too long. New Year's resolution: stay more current!

#2 2013-01-17 13:02:27

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: [resolved] how to make piwigo 2.4.6 NOT generate thumbnails?

"thumbnails" directories are not used anymore

If you want to override Piwigo thumbnails you must put them into "_data/i" folder (the folders are the same than in "galleries" and "upload") and with the suffix "-th" (no prefix)

BUT for your particular case you could go to Configuration->Options->Multisize, click on "show details", edit the size "Thumbnail", and make it square (check "Crop" and width=height)

#3 2013-01-17 13:04:24

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

team, is there a way to choose "Square" as default thumbnails ?

#4 2013-01-17 13:23:32

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Currently not ; the only conf var is about the picture page

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2013-01-17 13:31:05

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

mistic100 wrote:

my bad, this doesn't work
team, is there a way to choose "Square" as default thumbnails ?

What doesn't work ? You can very well make your thumbnails square or 16/9 or whatever ...

#6 2013-01-17 13:41:10

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

right.... some issues with Firefox cache again

#7 2013-01-17 18:30:41

quixote
2008-05-10

Thanks! The multisize-crop-width=height works to even things up. I want to be sure I understand about the other alternative before I try it:

"_data/i" folder (the folders are the same than in "galleries" and "upload") and with the suffix "-th" (no prefix)"

What I'm seeing in my directories is (piwigo root)/_data/i/galleries/replicated-dir-structure/photo-files.jpg Some of the photo files are largish and end in -me.jpg. Others are small and end in -sq.jpg. The latter must be thumbnails, but what are the -me files?

I like to upload my photos to (piwigo root)/galleries/. I have a handy rsync backup script that keeps a mirror on my own computer. Then I used to do a local sync for piwigo to see any new files and thumbnails. It looks like I can still follow that routine for the photos, but what is actually happening in piwigo now? Is the entire (piwigo root)/galleries direcotry being duplicated in _data/i/galleries? ?? To avoid duplication, should I mirror straight to _data/i/galleries?

Also, my thumbnails are .png format. Do they have to be jpg now? So the filename should be (thumbnail-filename)-th.png? Or (thumbnail-filename)-th.jpg?

So many questions!  Thanks again to all for all your help!

#8 2013-01-17 18:49:30

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Piwigo doesn't replicate anything, it generates multiple size (see 2.4 release note)
If you create a symlink as you said, things gonna blow up :-)

continue your sync as before, just without pwh_high and thumbnails subfolders and it'll be all fine

me = Medium

I don't really know for thumbnail extension, try it

#9 2013-01-17 23:10:08

quixote
2008-05-10

I think I understand. I'll try with a few photos and their thumbnails-th.png all in the same dir and see what happens, and report back. :D

#10 2013-01-18 00:33:20

quixote
2008-05-10

Well, when I upload thumbnail-th.jpg or thumbnail-th.png in the same directory as the photo it belongs to, piwigo displays all of them as separate photos. It even makes thumbnails for the thumbnails. It doesn't seem to interpret that -th as significant.

I'm probably doing something wrong.

I have, for example, galleries/California/Kings-Canyon/Linanthus-mustang-clover.jpg. If I add Linanthus-mustang-clover-th.jpg to the same directory, it just sees them both as photos. It's the same for .png thumbnails. It displays the generated thumbnail for the main photo and the thumbnail I added. Clicking on the generated thumbnail leads to the photo, and clicking on my thumbnail leads to the thumbnail, all by itself in regal splendor.

Time to give up and just go with the generated thumbnails?

#11 2013-01-18 00:41:21

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Nope just time to understand that the data/i folder is the right one. ;-)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#12 2013-01-18 02:47:38

pewe
2012-03-16

quixote

If you have a directory structure like
galleries/California/Kings-Canyon/Linanthus-mustang-clover.jpg
when you synchronise you will see the directory replicated in  _data/i, so you now have
_data/i/galleries/California/Kings-Canyon/ in which the various sizes of photos will be stored

So if someone views the small size of the Linanthus-mustang-clover.jpg in Piwigo, the photo Linanthus-mustang-clover_sm.jpg will appear in this directory.
A new copy will be added for every image size viewed by visitors. (see the image below showing a copy of the structure created for an image filename 20120630192457-a41a13dd.jpg - in filezilla)

In your directory there will ALSO appear a generated thumbnail Linanthus-mustang-clover_th.jpg. This is where you should place your thumbnail with the name Linanthus-mustang-clover_th.jpg - as seen in the screenshot.

I hope this makes sense.

#13 2013-01-18 22:14:01

quixote
2008-05-10

pewe, thanks for that clear explanation. When I try to put a thumbnail-th.png in the fight _data directory, piwigo just generates another -th.jpg in the same dir and displays that instead. I assume it just doesn't want to use .png files?

The big deal with png for is that it allowed me to create a shadow effect I rather like on the thumbnails.

These days, you can do that in css. Does anyone know which script actually generates the thumbnails for piwigo?

I could try to see whether I could figure out how to get the relevant lines in there. Or, if by chance it's using imagemagick, that's what I was using to make the effect tobegin with, so it might be even easier to adapt.

Which script file should I look at?

#14 2013-01-18 22:19:36

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

something like (LocalFilesEditor/Css)

#thumbnails img {
  box-shadow:2px 2px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.8);
}

?

#15 2013-01-18 22:21:49

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
Take a look at i.php
You can have the latest code http://piwigo.org/dev/browser/trunk

Board footer