Announcement

#1 2013-04-01 01:29:31

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Piwigo and Zenphoto to join forces!

edited on April 2nd 2013: This was of course an April Fools joke. We have no plans to merge the projects. However, it's true that both projects share the same spirit and have a friendly connection for years. Thanks to the Zenphoto team for joining us with this little fun!

Hi Piwigo Community,

After long negotiations and deliberations the teams of Piwigo and Zenphoto have decided to merge projects. The reason is the ever growing competition with the big CMS like Wordpress (although their gallery functions are nowhere near those of Piwigo and Zenphoto), social networks or online photo communities like flickr or Picasa.

We know this comes as a big surprise to you our users. But there is no need to fear! Piwigo and Zenphoto share the same strong open source spirit. The teams also had a friendly connection by recommending each other for years!

Neither of the projects will be abandoned and no features will be lost. On the contrary the projects will be merged so you will get the best of both worlds so to speak. It will be a new project called "Zenwigo" with a complete new user interface and full backward compatibility via convenient importers to older Piwigo and Zenphoto installations.

http://piwigo.org/screenshots/zenwigo-logo_530.jpg

We hope to manage all this by the end of this year. As you can imagine it will require quite some rewrite of code which already started in secret last year. For the time being both project sites will stay active until the transition is complete. But then you all will get the best media focussed CMS the net ever has seen.

Help let our competitors bite the dust!

Read the announcement on Zenphoto.org

--
Zenphoto and Piwigo Teams

#2 2013-04-01 14:21:45

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Re: Piwigo and Zenphoto to join forces!

Do the French do "April Fool" jokes? ;)

If the resulting merged project is bigger and better than it's great news...

Tadjio

#3 2013-04-01 14:38:07

IGraham
UK
2011-09-28

yes the French do do April Fool, apparently its 'poisson d'avril'
Zenwigo sounds fishy to me

#4 2013-04-01 23:31:52

EdwinKort
Translation Team
Rhoon, the Netherlands
1970-01-01

I left Zenphoto for Piwig. but since it's April Fools day, I do believe it's a cool joke.

My Gallery
Hosted with: Surpass Hosting since 2004

#5 2013-04-02 04:25:42

wakawayi
2013-04-02

Good news.

#6 2013-04-02 09:35:59

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

This was of course an April Fools joke. We have no plans to merge the projects. However, it's true that both projects share the same spirit and have a friendly connection for years.

Thanks to the Zenphoto team for joining us with this little fun!

#7 2013-04-02 11:39:52

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

plg wrote:

This was of course an April Fools joke.

I thought it all sounded fishy :-)

Tadjio

#8 2013-05-01 13:18:35

just saying

It used to be that April Fool jokes were funny. Now they are just silly and tedious. It seems that tech companies feel compelled to join the April Fool bandwagon every year. Yawn, yawn, Google, yawn.

I came across this announcement on another site, where it was reported as fact a couple of weeks into April and had no retraction or disclaimer.

Perhaps smarter business minds might be careful about announcing "joke" news, given that sites on the internet archive "news" that could damage the long term reputation of their product.  Piwigo is a great product, so creating doubt about its future makes no sense.

Sorry to be the adult here, but it is a thought. (It's not a question of humour, just common sense)

#9 2013-05-01 13:22:39

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

just saying wrote:

I came across this announcement on another site, where it was reported as fact a couple of weeks into April and had no retraction or disclaimer.

Why not simply telling us which "another site" it was, so we can tell them it was a joke?

Board footer