Announcement

#1 2013-05-20 10:47:53

trybefore
2013-04-24

Multiple Website Copies

I now have 11000 scans from slides in TIF format which is about 400GB. The reason for TIF is that there are likely to be edits later and the slides will go into storage. The plan is that the IPTC data will be added to the original files in the coming months and reviewed/checked through Piwigo. I would then like to distribute copies of the website with only the Piwigo "standard" photo sizes not the original 30-40MB files. What would be the best work flow to achieve this?

#2 2013-05-20 17:24:05

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Multiple Website Copies

Hello?!

Could you rephrase and reformat your text in a more understandable way please. I don't get the "distribute copies of the website"

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-05-21 13:02:33

trybefore
2013-04-24

OK, I'll try again!
I have a localhost website with 11000 scans which will increase to about 20000. The website will never be public or hosted in any way. It is used only to organise photos, negatives, documents and document the life of an individual. Siblings, children and grandchildren, and hopefully the next generation will be given a personal copy of the website when I have finished it to continue as they wish.

I am currently working with the full size and quality tifs as some remedial Photoshop magic will take place and the IPTC data fields inserted before the site is copied for distribution.

Hence my question. What would be the most efficient workflow in terms of distributing copies which will not include the full size tifs? Should I just delete the contents of the original photos directory in a copy website and if so will Piwigo continue to work ok?

Last edited by trybefore (2013-05-21 13:05:15)

#4 2013-05-21 13:41:57

pewe
2012-03-16

trybefore,

There is still information missing to enable any definitive advice to be offered.

You do not mention where the initial website is being hosted - on a local PC or on a Web server.

If it is on a web server, how do you intend to modify the photos using Photoshop without having to re-upload the photos (assuming that modifications are needed for some of those that are already uploaded). Or are the modifications already done on those already uploaded.

You also say you don't want to give others the full size photos (understandable with the size of scanned tiffs which are probably 30MB each), so how are you going to resize them before re-distribution. There is no facility (as far as I know) to replace the originals uploaded to a Piwigo installation with smaller versions. This would make it impossible to just send out a 'backup' copy of your installation with a copy of your database without including the originals.

NOTE: to find a way to resize photos retaining metadata outside of Piwigo is also not easy, especially if you cannot code in php etc - believe me I did some research on this and it took me some time to come up with a resizing solution that retains metadata.

You also mention that you wish to give copies of the web site to interested family members.
Two things strike me here:
- how 'web' literate are the family members likely to be (ie are they going to manage their own sites or have someone do it for them)
- where are the 'copies' going to be hosted (ie on your server or a server of their choice)

As mentioned above, although (theoretically) it is possible to 'zip' up a copy of the Piwigo installation and the database and send it to someone to install elsewhere, I would not recommend it as it could result in a number of problems with configuration issues etc in addition to the size problem.

The simplest solution for your situation is probably to do all resizing on your local PC, then add the Metadata to the resized copies and upload to Piwigo using the FTP/Sync method.

That way, anyone interested could install their own copy of Piwigo and you could send them copies of your resized photos directory to install using FTP/Sync.

#5 2013-05-21 14:06:15

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

For me, I've got one question: how did you make the .tiff working with Piwigo? Do you use /pwg_representative? in /galleries?

Basically Piwigo can still works if you delete the originals and have all the resized or the "/pwg_representative"s, but don't do any later synchronisation.

Piwigo is first a gallery to display pictures on the web ant has been optimized for that. I never recommend it to use it as to just organize pictures or store it

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Board footer