Announcement

#1 2013-06-27 05:24:52

polymot

failed picture uploads

I have installed the Piwigo 2.5.1

Almost everything seem to be working.

When I select 120 of pictures to be uploaded, for example in the flash uploader, wait for the filelist to update, then select start upload..

I notice that only a fraction of the files are uploaded.

I have tried this several times with different sized images, and the number of files uploaded vs. what was selected varies each time.

Please Help!

#2 2013-07-16 18:02:07

mrichmond
2013-05-02

Re: failed picture uploads

I have been having the same problem.  For over a year, I have had no issues with the flash uploader, even when uploading batches of 100 or more photos.

Last month, I noticed that the upload screen was not refreshing to show most of the "Uploaded Photos" as the progress continued.  The status bar still updated, showing "Photo 1 of 24", but only 2 or 3 of those photo thumbnails would show up in the "Uploaded Photos" section.  After upload, I would come to the summary page which would say something like "6 photos uploaded" "Album (name) now contains 18 photos", and thumbnails of six of the photos are displayed along with the link to "Manage this set of 6 photos".

The numbers used above are one example.  I tried uploading a batch of 195 photos and only 87 were uploaded.  I have been doing smaller batches (10 - 12 photos at a time) because it is easier to go back and see which photos did not upload.  But in the last month, any batch of more than 5 or 6 is going to miss a few pictures upon completion.  For every 10 photos I upload, 6 is the average number of successfully uploaded photos that result.

This problem started BEFORE the last upgrade to 2.5.2, I was hoping that the latest update would fix the problem.

I am using latest version of Google Chrome, which I learned also maintains the latest version of the Flash plugin.  I tried using IE to make sure that it was not just a browser issue, but using IE achieved the same results.

I have disabled ALL Piwigo plugins, but that did not correct the problem.

My gallery is hosted on a Dreamhost shared server, which has not been a problem for me in the past.

I am using the same equipment that I have been having success with in the past, so I am not sure what has changed.

I have not tried the FTP upload process yet, and I can't remember exactly why (with the volume of photos that I upload) I had chosen to use the Flash Uploader in the first place.  If the problem with the Flash Uploader is not something that I can resolve soon, I will be investigating the FTP upload/sync option again.

- Matt

Last edited by mrichmond (2013-08-17 23:39:58)

#3 2013-07-16 20:52:35

mrichmond
2013-05-02

I remember now why I didn't use FTP; there is a lot of pre-upload prep that needs to be done for that.  I liked that Piwigo took care of resizing, thumbnails, etc. in one easy step with the Flash uploader.

I just installed ploader and used it to upload 160 pictures to my gallery.  The upload returned 22 separate HTTP Internal Server error (500) messages.  The summary stated 160 photos in batch, 132 successful uploaded, 22 fails/errors.

I checked the gallery and all 160 were successfully uploaded.

#4 2013-07-21 00:51:07

mrichmond
2013-05-02

Okay, I made a newbie mistake with pLoader.  I didn't have it set to use a full size copy for the "original", so all photos in my album were web-sized.  I deleted that batch and tried again.

With the full-size photos being uploaded, pLoader achieves about the same success rate as the Flash uploader did for me.  I uploaded a batch of 160 photos with pLoader.  After more than 15 hours (yikes!), the summary page popped up saying that 80 images were published, and 80 were in error and not published.  Browsing the album showed that 134 photos actually uploaded successfully, and 26 were missing.  The error log gave me line after line like this:

"11:29:07 AM: Communication error with http://photos.(mydomainname).net : 500 Internal Server Error"

That is similar to the Flash upload error message that was showing up.

What should I check to see what might be causing these upload failures?  It is quite annoying, as I often upload batches of 100 or more photos, and it is tedious to look through each album to see which photos failed to upload!

Thanks,
Matt

#5 2013-07-22 15:35:03

mrichmond
2013-05-02

Another pLoader uploaded, 202 photos in batch:

- images processed: 202
- images uploaded: 114
- images in errors and not uploaded: 88
- duration: 22011 seconds

Upload log shows line after line of "Communication Error .... 500 Internal Server Error" messages

Going to the album to browse it shows that REALLY,
191 photos were successfully uploaded, only 11 are not there.

I will try some smaller batches and see if I have any better results with 10-20 photos on pLoader than I did with the Flash uploader.

I am still interested to know if anyone has any ideas about this - both the Flash Upload and pLoader have always worked for me in the past (the only reason I stopped using pLoader before was because I had to create all albums in the administration backend before I launched pLoader).   I have mentioned it before, but it is QUITE annoying to have to go through each album to find out which photos did not upload.

#6 2013-08-21 17:53:53

mrichmond
2013-05-02

After silence on the "failed image uploads" issue I was having from this forum, I decided to ask Dreamhost if they had any ideas what may be causing this problem.  I received a very quick response from their customer support, and after confirming the failures on their end with some test uploads to one of my galleries, they wound up changing some PHP settings on my server.  I was upgraded from PHP 5.2 to PHP 5.3, and the timeout limit value was increased through a custom PHPRC.

I tried the Flash upload page for one batch, and the interface was "mostly" fixed - everything was functional (all images on a 22 image batch were uploaded), but the summary information was still a little bit inaccurate.

I am using pLoader to upload large batches again (I successfully uploaded 453 last night with no errors!).  At this point, I prefer pLoader over the Flash uploader, simply for the drag-and-drop capability.  The only disadvantage to pLoader in my application is that I have to go through the administrative panel on my gallery to create all the directories I want to upload to, before initializing pLoader.

Thank you for making such an excellent product!  I am sorry that I was even considering leaving it over the problem that I was having, but I can say now with reassured confidence that I am not going to leave Piwigo anytime soon!

A big thanks to the support team at Dreamhost, they know their stuff (including their 3rd-party applications!) and go out of their way to make sure we are happy with their service!

- Matt

Board footer