Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » EXIF View plugin - please help getting it to work.

#1 2010-10-19 23:59:23

Mediocre Fred

EXIF View plugin - please help getting it to work.

After spending months fighting with various Drupal gallery modules, I finally gave up and after some research ended up with Piwigo. So far, I am very impressed. Everything works as described. That said, there are 2 things that I am unable to get to work. Please help:

1. I have installed the "EXIF View" module and would like to display all the EXIF information as shown in the extension's screenshot. However, the only EXIF information I get is what is displayed by the core Pigwigo code (I was getting this even before I installed the EXIF View module). What do I need to do (in addition to installing and activating the EXIF View module) to get all the details to show up?

2. I tried using the Lightbox module and love it - except that there is no way to view the EXIF (and metadata) information if I use Lightbox? Is there any way to use Lightbox AND be able to see the metadata and EXIF data?

Here's the url to my gallery: http://www.ravisnet.com/photos/ - hope this helps in getting an answer to my questions.

Thanks,
MediocreFred.

#2 2010-10-20 00:08:02

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: EXIF View plugin - please help getting it to work.

Mediocre Fred wrote:

1. [...] What do I need to do [...] to get all the details to show up?

1) install/activate [extension by Piwigo Team] LocalFiles Editor from screen [Administration > Plugins > Manage]

2) open [Administration > Plugins > LocalFiles Editor > Local config] and paste the following code:

Code:

<?php
$conf['show_exif_fields'] = array(
  'Make',
  'Model',
  'ExifVersion',
  'Software',
  'DateTimeOriginal',
  'FNumber',
  'ExposureBiasValue',
  'FILE;FileSize',
  'ExposureTime',
  'Flash',
  'ISOSpeedRatings',
  'FocalLength',
  'FocalLengthIn35mmFilm',
  'WhiteBalance',
  'ExposureMode',
  'MeteringMode',
  'ExposureProgram',
  'LightSource',
  'Contrast',
  'Saturation',
  'Sharpness',
  );
?>

#3 2010-10-20 00:10:48

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Mediocre Fred wrote:

2. I tried using the Lightbox module and love it - except that there is no way to view the EXIF (and metadata) information if I use Lightbox? Is there any way to use Lightbox AND be able to see the metadata and EXIF data?

You're nearly right. By default, when a lightbox is opened, you can click on the photo name and you open the picture page with shows EXIF fields. But I agree that without someone telling you this information, it's hard to guess.

It would be nice to find a way to optionally display additional informations in the lightbox instead of opening picture.php.

#4 2010-10-20 00:18:03

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Mediocre Fred wrote:

After spending months fighting with various Drupal gallery modules, I finally gave up and after some research ended up with Piwigo.

Well... Piwigo is designed to manage photo galleries, only other photo gallery softwares can be seriously compared to Piwigo when it comes to managing (large) photo sets. Gallery modules integrated into WordPress/Drupal/Joomla are nice and certainly fits the vast majority of WordPress/Drupal/Joomla users need, but if your website is mainly a photo gallery, the best option is to choose a photo gallery software (and among the best photo gallery software you'll find Piwigo ;-)

Mediocre Fred wrote:

So far, I am very impressed. Everything works as described.

What were you expecting? When you read the list of features, you thought we were not writting seriously ? :-D

Mediocre Fred wrote:

Here's the url to my gallery: http://www.ravisnet.com/photos/ - hope this helps in getting an answer to my questions.

Yes, it helps, you have asked the (easy) question the right way and I hope my answers are useful!

#5 2010-10-20 00:21:49

Mediocre Fred

Hey, thanks very much! I really didn't expect replies this promptly (am used to Drupal :( )

OK, I added the code to the Local Config and not, all the relevant EXIF data shows up. So, does this mean that I don't need the "EXIF View" module at all?

As for the LightBox, in my case, clicking on the photo name in the Lightbox, opens the picture page with the original view (5184 x 3456). I really can't expect users to go there to view the EXIF data - would be nice to have it in the LightBox.

If there is a relatively painless way to make this work, please let me know. I love the Lightbox user interface, but, for the time being, functionality trumps eye-candy.

Thanks,
MediocreFred.

#6 2010-10-20 00:33:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Mediocre Fred wrote:

OK, I added the code to the Local Config and not, all the relevant EXIF data shows up. So, does this mean that I don't need the "EXIF View" module at all?

[extension by maple] EXIF View makes EXIF data more human readable but it doesn't discover more EXIF informations.

On your gallery, I can see that you have EXIF view disabled and it shows:

Make      Canon
Model     Canon EOS REBEL T2i
ExifVersion     0221
DateTimeOriginal     2010:08:23 18:01:45
FNumber     11/1
ExposureBiasValue     0/1
ExposureTime     1/640
Flash     16
ISOSpeedRatings     100
FocalLength     28/1
WhiteBalance     0
ExposureMode     0
MeteringMode     5
ExposureProgram     2

If you activate the EXIF view plugin, you have instead :

Maker      Canon
Model     Canon EOS REBEL T2i
EXIF     2.2
Date Time of Original     2010:08:23 18:01:45
Aperture Number     11
Exposure compensation     0 EV
Exposure Time     1/640 s
Flash     no, mode: supressed
ISO     100
Focal Length     28 mm
White Balancing     auto
Exposure Mode     auto
Exposure Metering Mode     pattern
Exposure Program     normal

which is a bit more human readable, don't you agree?

Mediocre Fred wrote:

As for the LightBox, in my case, clicking on the photo name in the Lightbox, opens the picture page with the original view (5184 x 3456).

you changed the default configuration settings for [extension by P@t] Lightbox, didn't you? By default, it should open picture.php on the web size format version of the photo.

#7 2010-10-20 00:35:05

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Another information: if you want to manage your EXIF fields like a pro, check [extension by grum] Advanced Metadata. It is not perfectly stable yet but you have a great customization power with it!

#8 2010-10-20 00:50:22

Mediocre Fred

plg wrote:

Mediocre Fred wrote:

[extension by maple] EXIF View makes EXIF data more human readable but it doesn't discover more EXIF informations.

On your gallery, I can see that you have EXIF view disabled and it shows:

:) You caught me as I was testing what would change if I deactivated it. I noticed the human readability aspect and re-activated it!

plg wrote:

you changed the default configuration settings for [extension by P@t] Lightbox, didn't you? By default, it should open picture.php on the web size format version of the photo.

Actually, I didn't change anything other than the color. Just to test it, I re-activated the Lightbox plugin and it seems to be working just fine now! Not sure what I had done wrong earlier.

I must say that I've been able to get a LOT more done in 4 hours with Piwigo than I could in 6 months with Drupal's gallery and image modules! Way to go!

Thanks again,
MediocreFred.

#9 2012-07-12 00:13:49

geoffschultz
Marlborough, MA, USA
2012-07-01

plg wrote:

Mediocre Fred wrote:

1. [...] What do I need to do [...] to get all the details to show up?

1) install/activate [extension by Piwigo Team] LocalFiles Editor from screen [Administration > Plugins > Manage]

2) open [Administration > Plugins > LocalFiles Editor > Local config] and paste the following code:

I'm running 2.4.1.  How do I do this as I don't find any [extension by Piwigo Team] LocalFiles Editor?

-- Geoff

Last edited by geoffschultz (2012-07-12 00:15:30)

#10 2012-07-12 00:33:03

pewe
2012-03-16

I manually installed V2.4.0 and the plugin was in the plugin directories in the downloaded package.

If you did a web install/upgrade, maybe it was missed - but you could get it from the download package.

#11 2012-07-12 00:46:00

geoffschultz
Marlborough, MA, USA
2012-07-01

Are you talking about the "Local Files Editor" or 'EXIF View"?  I see the later, but not the former.

-- Geoff

#12 2012-07-12 01:12:12

pewe
2012-03-16

Sorry Geoff - I was reffering to the Local Files Editor.
I just downloaded V2.4.1, and its in that zip file too.

#13 2012-07-12 01:55:34

geoffschultz
Marlborough, MA, USA
2012-07-01

pewe wrote:

Sorry Geoff - I was reffering to the Local Files Editor.
I just downloaded V2.4.1, and its in that zip file too.

Not in mine, but I found the file (/include/config_default.inc.php) and edited it via Dream Weaver.

-- Geoff

Edit : Never ever change the DEFAULT config : read our Documentation about the LOCAL configuration http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user_ … onf_locale

Last edited by geoffschultz (2012-07-12 12:47:49)

#14 2013-10-22 16:24:38

romancos
1970-01-01

It works. Thank you!!!

#15 2013-10-22 20:27:47

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

romancos wrote:

It works. Thank you!!!

Never ever change the DEFAULT config : read our Documentation about the LOCAL configuration http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user_ … onf_locale

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

•  » Extensions
  •  » EXIF View plugin - please help getting it to work.

Board footer