Announcement

#1 2013-12-08 15:48:42

faqvideo
2012-01-21

Filmstrip

I am currently using Stripped and Columns theme and can't repeat enough now much I like it.

Few thing I noticed though - some visitors, and that includes some smart visitors too, have a hard time to navigate within the theme.

First of all - after they get onto any album page, everything looks so good and complete, that they don't realize this is only a thumbnail page, they may need to click on the thumbnail to get to the actual photo. I have no suggestion on that. May be I should decrease the size of the thumbnails? Currently I am using 290 pix wide with 300 pix allocated for a column thus providing 10 pix negative space. Like this:
http://ottawastockimages.com/index.php? … 2/start-84

I swear some visitors don't realize that there are ways to go around here. Besides reducing thumbnail size - do you think the navigation panel down below should be a little larger, especially considering the trend in increasing monitor resolution?

Secondly - I was asking visitors about ease of navigation from and to the image page. Even after I have added "arrows" on the image on hovering, people still don't realize how to move around. And this again includes some smart people. For this I do have a suggestion: I believe adding a filmstrip underneath an image would improve visitors experience giving them better understanding of where they are in relation to the sub-album or album.

I also understand that this is a serious task. But hey - it may be valuable suggestion.

Many many thanks for the great work.

#2 2013-12-08 20:47:48

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Filmstrip

Thx for your complete feedback! very interesting and important
the filmstrip is something often asked too

About clicking... well people are indeed a bit dumb to don't see their mouse becoming a "Hand to click"... what could be done here is adding a Zoom icon on mousehover, like on the picture page. So adding a new option about mousehover, for the theme

The "navigation panel down below" is what for you? sry

I like your arrows: could you send me your changes, and I could add this as an option too

Last edited by flop25 (2013-12-08 21:34:40)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-12-08 21:04:43

faqvideo
2012-01-21

Re: Filmstrip

flop25 wrote:

Thx for your complete feedback! very interesting and important
the filmstrip is something often asked too

About clicking... well people are indeed a bit to don't see their mouse becoming a "Hand to click"... what could be done here is adding a Zoom icon on mousehover, like on the picture page. So adding a new option about mousehover, for the theme

The "navigation panel down below" is what for you? sry

I like your arrows: could you send me your changes, and I could add this as an option too

Thanks flop!

By the navigation panel I meant the buttons on the bottom of the album page, like this one:
http://ottawastockimages.com/index.php? … 2/start-84

saying "PAGE6/8 FIRST << 1 2 3 LAST"

I am not sure if this would be a good suggestion. I just think that on higher resolution monitors the buttons look smaller. And if this is a common trend, may be bigger buttons would help with navigation. Kind of saying to the visitors: "Hello, use these buttons to navigate within the album!"

As for the arrows - they already exist as the theme option on the image page. Besides gray buttons on the left and right off the image, there are optional white arrows that appear in the image upon mousehover, like this:
http://ottawastockimages.com/picture.ph … tegory/122

Again, I think all is great. There is a lot of clues for the visitors how to go around. Still some visitors have troubles. May be optional filmstrip may help?

Board footer