Announcement

#1 2013-01-20 22:16:39

kenl
2013-01-12

A Method to Move Google Picasa Face Tags to Piwigo

I've developed an application that will export face tags from photos managed by Picasa and then will insert corresponding tags into Piwigo and tag the corresponding photo(s) in Piwigo.  Afterwards, photos in Piwigo can be viewed or searched by face tag.

The program can be downloaded at:  http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=672

Prerequisites:

1.  The folder names used by Picasa should match the album names used in Piwigo.

2.  You'll have to open your mySQL database to the outside world, temporarily (at least to the computer you’re running the application from).  The default condition of mySQL is to have external access disabled.  I'm running ubuntu linux so I also had to open the mySQL port, 3306, in the OS.  You can search the web for instructions - I found this article useful, http://endpoint.co/technology/enable-re … ess-mysql.

3.  I recommend that you back up your Piwigo database.  You can never be too careful! And, I would feel bad if I ruined your Piwigo installation.  I used phpMyAdmin to do the backup, but you can also do it using command line.  As above, I found a web search useful.

Application Settings – See Attached Screenshot:

Picasa Contacts File – The contacts.xml file used by Picasa.  In my case, the file was located at:  c:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Google\Picasa2\Contacts

Root Photo Path – The directory where you want the application to start reading photos from.  The application will traverse sub-directories and it ignores any .picasaoriginals directories.

Output Path – Location where text and html output files are placed.

Generate HTML Files – When checked, simple HTML files will be created for each contact, with hyperlinks to each photo that the particular contact appears in.  It may be useful if you want a simple web page with links to people’s photos.

Base URL – Used to create the start of the hyperlink to each photo.  Leave a slash at the end  like http://myurl.com/photos/, not http://myurl.com/photos

Set Tags in Piwigo – When checked, the application will place Picasa face tags into the Piwigo database and tag corresponding photos.  When the option is not checked, only text and html (if selected) files are generated.

Server Name – The IP address of the mySQL server. 

Database – The name of database used by Piwigo.  Usually it’s piwigo.

Database User Name – A mySQL account that has read/write access to the Piwigo database.  I use root.

Database Password – You know.

Database Table Prefix – The prefix of the Piwigo database tables.  Usually it’s piwigo.

Clear Existing Face Tags in Piwigo – When checked, deletes tags from the piwigo tag database before adding new tags.  When checked, only face tags that appear in contacts.xml will be deleted from Piwigo.  Other tags will not be affected.

I’ve tried this using roughly 15,000 of my 40,000 photo collection and it seems to work ok.  But, if you have issues with it, or suggestions, let me know.

Tip – If you want to preview changes that could be made to the Piwigo databse, run the tool with “Set Tags in Piwigo” un-checked and examine the results in the output folder.

More technical stuff - read if interested:

Application will handle a maximum of 512 unique faces in Picasa.

If you’ve already tagged photos in piwigo using the application it will not re-tag them.  So, it’s ok to run the application multiple times using the same photo directories.

This application was verified with Piwigo database version 2.4.  The application validates the database version number and offers the user the chance to abort if there is a version mis-match.  I can make no guarantees that the application will work with other database versions.  Also, I’m sure the developers of Piwigo would prefer thatt users don’t directly change the database.  However, in this case, I find it sensible.

It is possible to have duplicate filenames in Picasa with the duplicate filenames being in different directories.  The application checks all duplicate filenames (up to 10,000) against the album names.  So, even if there are duplicate filenames, it will be ok.

KenL

Last edited by kenl (2013-01-21 00:05:46)

#2 2013-01-20 22:52:54

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: A Method to Move Google Picasa Face Tags to Piwigo

Hello
and a huge thanks for sharing your great work : can you use this wiki page http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=picas … _to_piwigo and could post it to the extension section, in Tool? If you want you can have an access to our subversion deposit to keep the file safe

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-01-20 22:56:42

kenl
2013-01-12

OK, I will do that.

Kenl

#4 2013-12-31 01:56:22

Palitu

Is the source code available?

i am having issues with the path that is getting extracted.

the path is meant to be:
"_Leigh\All Photos\2012\"

but i get the following output:

igh\All Photos\2012\_Misc 2012\09 Sep
    P1020299.JPG
    P1020300.JPG
igh\All Photos\2012\Surprise Party 2012
    P1020299.JPG
    P1020300.JPG

i have not tried applying it to my DB yet, as i am worried that it'll cause issues to the 10'000 images and i do not want to have to fix them in the case of an error!

Could you have a look or upload the source so that i can investigate?

thanks!

#5 2013-12-31 04:10:15

kenl
2013-01-12

Hello Palitu,

I don't expect any issues from the path.  So I think you should try the tool on 1 folder of your photos.  It is OK to run the tool multiple times over the same folder(s).  It will not create duplicate tags. 

With that in mind, please try running the tool on 1 folder and see if it works.  Let me know if it does not work properly.

Regards,
KenL

#6 2014-11-22 13:31:23

rtevyncke
2014-07-25

Greetings,

I have been testing out the Picasa face tag extraction program.

It is very good, but not very reliable. There seems to be two problems;

1. What Palitu mentions on 2013-12-31 07:56:22 is what happens (the link cuts off the first 3 letters of the pathname). This is ok as face tags seem to be placed into piwigo without problems, but causes problems when you want to generate html files.

2. It does not import all the face recognition tags into the piwigo database. All the correct files are identified and recorded in the txt files generated. On detailed examination it seems that there is a limit of 50 characters for the full pathname and filename together (the pathname is counted with the problem mentioned above where the first three characters are cut off). If less than 50, then it gets put into piwigo database, if over 50 then it does not.

This is a very valuable feature, so I am willing to test new versions to help update this tool and clean up these few small bugs.

Thanks kenl !

Piwigo version: 2.7.2

#7 2014-11-22 17:33:02

kenl
2013-01-12

Hello,

I haven't worked on or maintained this tool for quite a while.  But there is good news in that much of the code is re-used in my other tool, Picasa2Piwigo.  So, the first step would be to merge updates made in the source of Picasa2Piwigo into this one.  Then, I can look into the 2 issues you reported.  Those issues seem pretty simple to address.  I'll see if can find some time to work on it.

Regards,
KenL

#8 2014-11-23 11:09:45

rtevyncke
2014-07-25

That is good news. Thanks !

I run a clone server to always test new features and software for piwigo, so I will be happy to help you test any new updates before release as any bugs will not affect the live server.

If you do not have time to do this integration now, it would be great if you can at least increase the 50 character restriction (this is still an educated guess of the problem) in my point 2, then I can continue with the full face recognition integration while you work on the full code integration from picasa2piwigo.

#9 2015-01-20 21:10:22

csteelatgburg
2015-01-20

I'm new to Piwigo and I'm interested in pulling my people tags from Picasa into the system. Your tool looks promising but I'm a Mac user. Is the source code available anywhere so I don't have to start from scratch?

#10 2015-01-20 21:44:41

kenl
2013-01-12

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no mac version and no plans for one.  If you're interested in the source it is in the piwgo subversion repository.  See http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=dev:core:subversion

Regards,
KenL

#11 2015-12-17 13:23:30

sridharb
2015-03-07

Hi Kenl,

I am interested in looking at the source of this plugin. You say that it could be found in svn? Could you please give more details? I only saw Picasa2Piwigo in the extensions that had kenl as the author.

I am interested in possibly extending it to my use - I am trying to migrate a large gallery2 information along with a lot of picasa face information to piwigo.

Thanks,
Sridhar

#12 2015-12-18 23:41:13

kenl
2013-01-12

Hello Sridhar,

I posted the source under the Picasa2Piwigo svn folder at:  http://piwigo.org/svn/extensions/Picasa … aMyPhotos/

Regards,
Ken

#13 2015-12-19 04:16:40

sridharb
2015-03-07

Thank you Ken.

Since I am not able to e-mail you through the forum system - something is broken - I am not able to e-mail anybody including myself, is contacting you through posts in the forum the only way?

Regards,
Sridhar

#14 2015-12-23 07:14:45

sridharb
2015-03-07

I found out that I am not able to e-mail because of the lack of posts in this forum. This is one of those to make that up.

#15 2015-12-23 15:59:49

sridharb
2015-03-07

Ken,

I heavily use Picasa on the Windows desktop to organize all my images. I use albums in Picasa to export those that I wish to share with others on my website. I use face-tagging extensively in Picasa.

What I am going to try to do is the following - I would like your suggestions on the same.

1. Enumerate all the albums in Picasa
2. Use the Picasa2Piwigo to upload to piwigo
3. For the albums uploaded, upload face information.
4. Keep piwigo in sync with Picasa's albums and faces - one way only though, from Picasa to Piwigo.

Ideally, I would like to combine this with another step. I would like to sync this piwigo server with my android phone. I would like only a lower-resolution image to be transferred to the phone and keep the download of the original size as an option. Again, only one-way from Piwigo to Phone.

I haven't thought through how Phone->Piwigo->Picasa would work. I am sure that the first part is possible, but keeping my Picasa database up to date as well as storing these photos on my desktop so that it is backed up etc. is something that ideally should also be done.

Regards,
Sridhar

Board footer