Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Options for password protected album

#1 2012-07-07 01:20:55

shermbug
2012-07-07

Options for password protected album

I just installed and started using Piwigo (2.4.1) and I'm impressed with the simplicity and flexibility of the system (thanks to all the developers).  The only thing I'd like is more flexibility on the password protected gallery functions.  I hope that my descriptions are clear, and that they can be implemented in future versions.  I have seen some extensions that are intended to bring some of these features to Piwigo, but they are workarounds that don't totally address the finer points.

1) Allow a guest user to see that a password protected album exists on the main gallery page, using the same thumbnail that is representative of the album.  When the user clicks on the album, they would be prompted to log in.  Optionally, a lock icon could be displayed unless the user was logged in.  This would make it less confusing for viewers to find an album (they wouldn't have to log in just to see that it exists), and would make the "welcome page" mod unnecessary.  It would also incorporate an idea that was proposed for a possible extension here: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19732

2) Enable an option to password protect an album without needing a user name.  This way a gallery could be private, but would not require registered users and the password could be shared appropriately (imagine a wedding album: the couple would have a login, but to allow the photos to be shared with their friends and family, a password with no login would be assigned).  This allows the client access with an account, other authorized users to view without a full account, and prevents viewing by unauthorized visitors.  Combine this with idea 1 so that the album is easily found.

3) Allow an album to be hidden but not password protected.  A direct link would allow access without a password (similar to youtube's options).  A variant of this would include a direct link and password only (no user name - same as idea 2).

These three ideas could be implemented as individual options and such that they would be configureable as defaults (site-wide) and overridden/assigned on a per-album basis, similar to the way access is controlled now.  I think this would make the album access easier for viewers and provide a finer level of control for the administrator.

I hope these ideas help build new functionality!  Thanks for all the great features that are already in Piwigo!  Loving it!

Pete S.
Burlington, VT, USA

#2 2012-07-07 01:34:50

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Options for password protected album

did you try [extension by unclvito] Protected Albums ?
should work with Piwigo 2.4 too

#3 2012-07-07 04:22:54

shermbug
2012-07-07

Mistic100 - Thanks for the very quick reply.  Yes, I had noticed that one but forgot to mention it in my feature request/suggestion.  It is similar to what I'd love to see, but the one shortfall of it is that it only provides a partial password lock -- the password can be bypassed under certain circumstances (discussed in the forum page for the plugin here: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=128203.)  It is certainly on the right track, and the author is planning a number of improvements, so maybe this will address some of my ideas.  Hopefully Matt (unclvito) will see this post :-).

Thanks again!

Pete S.

#4 2012-07-07 06:38:00

shermbug
2012-07-07

Just tried Protected Albums, and it does not appear to work in 2.4.1 at all.  I get a warning about compatibility on the plugin management screen, and there no configuration options whatsoever in any of the admin menus.  There is no additional documentation or instructions included or on the Protected Albums forum page, so I don't think I'm missing anything, but please let me know if I am.  Somebody asked if there are plans to update the plugin to 2.4, but they didn't say if there was a compatibility issue or just simply not certified.  I'll post that question and cross reference this thread.

Pete S.

#5 2013-03-24 22:10:42

william

the plugin doesnt work afeter 2.4......it suck

#6 2013-03-24 22:16:55

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

you don't need to say it everywhere ...... once is enough

#7 2013-06-29 05:13:39

sphixcanada
2013-06-29

For my site what works best is creating a security group and have it be the only one that has access to the album so that if people are not a part of said group they cannot view it.

Not having a user name really is a bad idea.

I am sure someone out there could help you with having the guest or whatever you may want it to be account be entered into the login section automatically.

As for showing of album thumbs and names without logging in cant help you there as in my experience you don't want people to know there is secured content on the system until you let them know (aka a user account).  If you want people to know about additional albums I would set up a main page that states that if they enjoyed the public photos to create an account to view the more "secured" content.

#8 2013-11-17 00:26:41

shermbug
2012-07-07

It has been a while since I posted on this topic, but in that time 2.5x has been released and the "Protected Albums" extension is no longer compatible with Piwigo and appears to be abandoned.

I'd love to see a method to password protect an album without needing a username, similar to how it is done in other packages such as ZenPhoto.  It'd be great if this feature could debut natively in Piwigo 2.6.  I am willing to help in any way that I can in terms of contributing ideas, testing, etc.

Thanks!

#9 2014-01-08 15:26:05

Pelagis
Estonia
2014-01-06

+1

I also would like to see the feature for password protected albums, and would contribute as an experienced user into its development (I am not programming though).

Toomas

#10 2014-01-22 10:03:41

JanisV
2013-09-25

What about Event Cats plugin (http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=326)? It still 'very poor about security'?

#11 2014-01-22 10:12:01

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

event cat use links (or specific urls if you prefer) as a way of being connected automaticly: a brute force method can be done but that's also the case for passwords, and links can be shared as easily as a password so that's equal
BUT Event cats use the build-in system of private album and group/users rights of the Piwigo core, so it's more secure, because pictures won't be available without passing that autologin with the link

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#12 2014-01-23 05:13:15

shermbug
2012-07-07

Since there isn't currently an option for the simple password protection (without a username), I am using EventCats to make it easier for people to jump right to an album without having to explicitly log in.  The extension works as described, but the overall functionality still doesn't match what I'm hoping to eventually see as an option in Piwigo.

I know that it is more secure to have a user/pass as implemented currently, but I do still hope that my wish list might become part of Piwigo in the future.  Maybe there can be away to protect an album but still show some sort of icon/thumbnail (even if it was a lock symbol) with a title below it such that a guest (i.e. not logged in) could see the that the album exists.  Then, when they click on it, they would be prompted to login with a user/pass.

Meanwhile, I think that if my password protection idea were implemented within the existing security architecture of Piwigo, it would be possible for it to be reasonably secure (not as good as a user/pass, but pictures within an album would be protected with the same password as the album and would not be viewable without that password unless you were a registered user with appropriate permissions).  And the system would treat those users as guests (i.e. restricted permissions) but with permission to view the specific album.

Part of the reason that I think this would be so useful is that it seems silly to setup a separate user name and password for each album I want to protect.  For example, if I take pictures at 3 different events, I'd like to be able to protect each event with a simple password - maybe one that would be relevant to the guests from each event and therefore easy to remember.  I don't want to have 3 different login/password combos to manage and communicate.  And, as I described above, I'd like the system to assume the people viewing the pictures are simple guests with viewing permissions for a specific album (this way I don't have all these user accounts that would require separate permissions/privileges).

Finally, unless there is a concern about breaking the security structure of Piwigo, I don't see much downside to offering the options I've described to the gallery administrator.  Then the admin has the option of selecting a more secure method or a more simple/less secure protection on an album by album basis.

If it is not asking too much, I'd love to hear thoughts/reactions to my ideas from the Piwigo team, and what is the probability that they would be implemented in a future version?  Are there specific concerns that I could help address and refine the ideas with some collaboration?  I also hope that my requests are not annoying to the Piwigo team - I very much respect and appreciate the work you have all done!  Thank you!

Last edited by shermbug (2014-01-23 05:14:53)

#13 2014-01-23 08:56:20

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
Thx
reading your answer and a solution was emerging in my mind. Pictures could bet set as the higher level of privacy, albums set as public with their pictures so normally,  a picture of an icon lock uploaded associated with those  album, a personal plugin which would detect if is_guest and if the only picture available is the lock and then display the connexion form with the album id as username and finally after logging sort out the lock picture.
There is also the plug-in Guest View Thumb Only, which could be used in complement with Event Cat but also as a basis to code the plug-in I was describing

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#14 2014-01-23 08:59:09

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Just to say that each time I was at an event like a wedding or a show, the photographers distributed a username and password to connect on their gallery

#15 2014-01-29 14:35:26

Pelagis
Estonia
2014-01-06

flop25 wrote:

There is also the plug-in Guest View Thumb Only,
describing

Hello, please where can I see the plug-in Guest View Thumb Only