•  » Engine
  •  » Alpha Test new plugin Take A Tour

#1 2014-03-27 22:46:43

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Alpha Test new plugin Take A Tour

Hello team -others opinion are welcomed too ^^-

Could you please take a look at http://piwigo.org/dev/browser/extensions/TakeATour in order to get some first review.
I post here because I think that plugin could become a core plugin and even be activated at first installation.
Could you please give your opinion on what you like/dislike currently, what you would except, technical details, general thought... I've plained others tour for Privacy management, Picture protection, Scaling up or down a Piwigo.

Thx for your attention

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#2 2014-03-27 22:50:18

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Alpha Test new plugin Take A Tour

hmmm

"Invalid URL - plugin TakeATour not active"

#3 2014-03-27 22:53:31

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

mistic100 wrote:

hmmm

"Invalid URL - plugin TakeATour not active"

default language ?

---

@flop25
add directory en_UK for test

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#4 2014-03-27 23:08:25

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

thx Just added one from French ^^

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#5 2014-03-27 23:12:15

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

I found the origin of my problem: your SVN directory is named "takeatour", and that's how my local clone is named

but you hardcoded "admin.php?page=plugin-TakeATour" (with capitals) so Piwigo can't find it

#6 2014-03-27 23:15:19

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

oh so dumb I was!

#7 2014-04-01 10:19:52

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Great plugin! I agree that this plugin would be very useful.

Of course it is mostly useful directly after install, so as a core plugin, activated by default. But not with a start from [Administration > Plugins > Take a Tour]. It could be the first tab of [Administration > Help (top right link)]. It should also be coordinated with the "no photo yet" system (which brings you to the [Administration > Photos > Add] screen right after install).

First remarks:

1) it should avoid talking about FTP if $conf['enable_synchronization'] = false

2) if you plan to talk about Templates, then I will add a $conf['enable_template_extensions'] so that it can be skipped

3) it would be nice to make configurable (local config) so that I can remove step "install plugins", or else I would have to change code for Piwigo.com :-/ (I prefer to have the minimum changes in the code)

4) when writing the path to a screen keep the same "pattern" as in [Admin > Help] pages, ie Administation » Configuration » Themes

5) I will tell you if users go to [Admin > Help] once they have their Piwigo ready (to be sure it's the right place for starting the tour)

This plugin will be an important improvement for beginners. Very good idea and nice interactivity!

#8 2014-04-01 10:37:19

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

plg wrote:

It could be the first tab of [Administration > Help (top right link)]

I've planed to change the popup system, to an ajax loading in a banner/header, with a 'unfoldind' animation. And the plugin would add some the text about an existing Tour related to the current page viewed
Before that, the plugin should indeed add it's own tab from or at least add something.

It should also be coordinated with the "no photo yet" system (which brings you to the [Administration > Photos > Add] screen right after install).

yes that's planed.

plg wrote:

1) it should avoid talking about FTP if $conf['enable_synchronization'] = false

noted!

plg wrote:

2) if you plan to talk about Templates, then I will add a $conf['enable_template_extensions'] so that it can be skipped
3) it would be nice to make configurable (local config) so that I can remove step "install plugins", or else I would have to change code for Piwigo.com :-/ (I prefer to have the minimum changes in the code)

Yes, I keep in mind the specifities of Piwigo.com . My point would be to add one config for all what should be skiped, a $conf['piwigoDotCom'] or $conf['closed_piwigo] ...

plg wrote:

4) when writing the path to a screen keep the same "pattern" as in [Admin > Help] pages, ie Administation » Configuration » Themes

noted

Thx for all

#9 2014-04-01 10:46:56

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

Yes, I keep in mind the specifities of Piwigo.com . My point would be to add one config for all what should be skiped, a $conf['piwigoDotCom'] or $conf['closed_piwigo] ...

Just something like $conf['TakeATour_steps'] = array(...); Then on Piwigo.com (for instance, others are using Piwigo as multisite with limitations) I will set a $conf['TakeATour_steps'] = array_diff($conf['TakeATour_steps'], array('step_12', 'step_18'));. If it is easy to configure, it's perfect and not specific to Piwigo.com.

I will open a discussion on Piwigo.org forum to talk about technical changes on Piwigo.com in order to decide if it's relevant to introduce them in Piwigo core as options. If these core options existed, plugin TakeATour would just have to take them into account.

#10 2014-04-06 16:09:29

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

about the customization, I have implemented the use of an array conf $conf['TakeATour_tour_ignored'] and for the steps, I prefer to use the language values: if [Forum, topic 23627] About empty lang values is ok, you could set empty values and the script will skip the step. Using language values will also allow to customize the text, but you will have to translate a bit for piwigo.com
I will still take into account $conf['enable_synchronization']

•  » Engine
  •  » Alpha Test new plugin Take A Tour

Board footer