•  » Promote Piwigo users photos on Piwigo social pages

#1 2014-04-08 16:23:35

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Promote Piwigo users photos on Piwigo social pages

Hello,

I'm deeply thinking about "social" aspects and "visibility" that many Piwigo users would like to have. This is a major criticism I often receive : "Piwigo is great and full featured, but nobody sees my photos". Making a Piwigo visible on search engine requires a bit of work and it can't be "immediate". I have several ideas to propose, after the Piwigo Showcase, which was a kind of "step zero". Here is the first one, which should not be very complicated to implement.

I would like to use Piwigo pages on social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Google+) to promote photos from Piwigo. I mean from any Piwigo in the world. I like this idea because it should have 2 nice consequences : satisfaction of Piwigo user who want to get visibility + increased visibility of Piwigo on social networks.

Here is what I have in mind:

1) create a plugin "Social Promote" that any Piwigo can activate. It would simply add a tab on the photo edit page. The photo must be public.

2) on piwigo.org, receive request from Social Promote (on a dedicated Piwigo, I don't know yet...), validate them and schedule their appearance on our social pages. It must be automated. I don't want it to need heavy work like showcase. Only the validation of the photos must be manual and it should be very easy.

I admit I'm very excited about this project which is half technical, half marketing (something we really need to make Piwigo more attractive). There are many hiqh quality photos on many Piwigo all over the world and it will give visibility to them. I'm quite sure Piwigo users will "play the game".

What do you think about it?

#2 2014-04-09 07:32:49

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

Re: Promote Piwigo users photos on Piwigo social pages

like the plugin "social buttons"? , easy handling, good idea

#3 2014-04-09 10:51:05

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi mol,

mol wrote:

like the plugin "social buttons"? , easy handling, good idea

It's as if Piwigo Team was browsing a Piwigo a publishing a photo from this Piwigo on Piwigo projet social pages. Considering we can't browse all Piwigo to find high quality content, the idea is to let Piwigo users propose their photos for social promotion on Piwigo social pages.

#4 2014-04-09 11:47:34

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hi
something bothers me…

My point is the idea is great –really–  but it’s like ‘mettre la charue avant les bœufs’ for me.

We probably should focus on getting a better code for bot, to help to get a better visibility (issues with flat and canonical url, and schema.org, mainly) and officially recruiting people to help on the code (project going bigger but so few skilled people; for me we are 5 but 3 with coding skills)

Then that great project could be done

Now let’s see the other reactions

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2014-04-09 12:44:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

We probably should focus on getting a better code for bot, to help to get a better visibility (issues with flat and canonical url, and schema.org, mainly) and officially recruiting people to help on the code (project going bigger but so few skilled people; for me we are 5 but 3 with coding skills)

You point is to say "if the product is improved, it will automatically get more popular". I have stopped to believe in that a long time ago. A good product is necessary but not enough.

With this project "Social Promote" I want to improve 2 things: visibility for Piwigo end users (which is a real problem for many of them, compared to Flickr for example) and improve visibility of Piwigo on social networks (which can be done only with interesting/likeable/retweetable content).

I hope it will increase Piwigo popularity and then we can hope to attract more developers. "recruiting people" first implies having more users. All Piwigo developers have first been Piwigo users.

I know mistic had ideas to improve HTML code in Piwigo to make it more "bot/social" compatible. But that's not the same question as Social Promote.

#6 2014-04-09 17:40:12

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

no my point was "we are getting more popular, but with much less dev and dynamic" ; that's my worry since quite ~1year (my feeling and ohloh stats)
then my remarks are two important points about visibility : the third is indeed the 'peer' linking, using piwigo.org as promotor, which is a very good idea.
about socialization, that's a great idea, and is indeed a first step in a complexe Diaspora/Flickr system. About that I would like to quote the Shaarli experiment: shaarli.fr regroups post from different shaarli and has a 'kind of' conversation system
We could regroup all those pictures in our showcase in a particular album (to list them on piwigo.org too) and manage them (their validatione etc) from here ?

ps: sry my first is not a NO, but more a YES BUT ;)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#7 2014-04-09 18:01:03

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

no my point was "we are getting more popular, but with much less dev and dynamic" ; that's my worry since quite ~1year (my feeling and ohloh stats)

Maybe less developers but very active developments. I don't really worry about that. I consider we currently have an active team of 4 developers and that's already very good. We have never been 10 active developers in the team.

Actually I think this question is not related with the current topic :-)

flop25 wrote:

About that I would like to quote the Shaarli experiment: shaarli.fr regroups post from different shaarli and has a 'kind of' conversation system

OK, I'll take a look (for next steps in the "social Piwigo" effort)

flop25 wrote:

We could regroup all those pictures in our showcase in a particular album (to list them on piwigo.org too) and manage them (their validatione etc) from here ?

I don't know if the showcase is the best place, but definitely I had in mind to have them in a Piwigo on Piwigo.org (reminder : the Piwigo showcase is itself a Piwigo)

#8 2014-04-09 20:17:12

Wiegerwijnia
2014-04-04

Hello,

I personally like the idea but implementing a better share to facebook or any other social network would also help a lot, i do use social buttons but the resulting shared image on facebook is small and low quality.

Not like for instance flickr or 500px  which shares a fullsize image on facebook comparable to sharing a image on facebook self.

Also because the social buttons plugin does not work in the mobile theme a picture can't easily be liked in the mobile theme. Which results in lower views.

As a result i normally do not share my pictures true piwigo but rather upload them to facebook directly which will give the average user a better experience.

Maybe integrating social network more deeply in piwigo would also generate more views to the piwigo sites of users which in return result will generate more exposure for piwigo.

For instance below is the 500 px way, all i did was click on  the facebook like button and the resulting post is below. I personally would be comfortable  if the line would read posted with help of piwigo the best photo gallery sofware :-)

http://www.wiegerwijnia.nl/img/500px.PNG

The 500 px link is:

http://500px.com/photo/63866003?from=user

Best regards

Wieger wijnia
www.wiegerwijnia.nl

#9 2014-04-10 10:19:03

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi Wiegerwijnia,

I'm OK with what you say. Piwigo should improve its sharing features on facebook/twitter/G+. I agree. That's not the idea of Social Promote, but I agree with your requests.

#10 2014-04-10 10:21:46

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I add that with the Social Promote, I will have to work on sharing so I will then try to apply these improvement into Social Buttons plugin.

•  » Website
  •  » Promote Piwigo users photos on Piwigo social pages

Board footer