•  » [Stripped] compatibility with Automatic Size

#1 2013-06-24 10:00:36

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

[Stripped] compatibility with Automatic Size

Hi Zaphod and flop25,

Could you see if it's possible to make Stripped compatible with Automatic Size?

#2 2013-06-24 10:06:37

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: [Stripped] compatibility with Automatic Size

Hi

Okay, noted

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-06-25 18:01:49

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hmm In fact that's hard: all the multi size system is removed by stripped so it would be a new js to write, in order to push the url of the size calculated by the plugin

The best I could do is to re introduce all the default scripts, and enable them if Automatic Size is on.
But my opinion is to include Automatic Size in the core for 2.6 and remove the size management of Stripped

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#4 2013-06-25 19:03:37

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Please do not remove the automatic sizing feature of the Stripped Theme.

I have been using it for some time now in my principal gallery and comparing it with the Elegant Theme using the Automatic Size Plugin in another gallery.

The sizing in Stripped is far superior - indeed it is more elegant!

All I would want you to do is to make the Stripped Theme compatible with version 2.6, even if the plugin is moved to the core.

Tadjio

#5 2013-06-25 19:06:39

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Tadjio wrote:

The sizing in Stripped is far superior - indeed it is more elegant!

Why? What's the differences you liked so much?

#6 2013-06-25 19:46:56

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

When I open my gallery with Stripped, the photo is automatically sized correctly, regardless of the screen size.
If I change the screen size, e.g. by taking it off maximise and adjusting the screen height, the image changes smoothly and elegantly to fit.
Similarly, if I use the Internet Explorer feature "F11" to remove the headers, the image changes accordingly.

If I do exactly the same in my other gallery with Elegant and the Plugin Automatic Size, the first image is often not correct.
Again, if I resize the screen as above, the image is not correct.  You always have to move to another image before it resets itself properly.

Finally, the automatic sizing in Stripped is progressive and smooth while that in Elegant (Automatic Sizes) is stepped and doesn't always fill the screen.

Tadjio

#7 2013-06-25 19:50:27

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

We could keep the resize when resizing the browser, but the fact Automatic size doesn't give the right size at the first load is not important enought

#8 2013-06-25 20:12:38

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

(I don't understand why you say "keep the resize"?)

The issue concerning the right size at the first load is important.
It also applies to any step change where there is a mixture of image sizes.
Each time the image doesn't fit the screen, Automatic Size anticipates and adjusts the next one, which might also be of a different size again and so will then be sized wrongly.

Stripped Theme copes with such changes seamlessly!

Tadjio

#9 2013-06-25 20:46:39

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

"keep the feature 'resize when resizing the browser' "

Stripped display only one version/size of a picture, the one chosen on the admin page, and then can reduce the size of that picture if the browser has a smaller size
So if the admin has a full hd 22" screen and choose the XL size for the picture page, users will load an heavy picture, awfully downsized for their screen, always, even on tablet etc

With Automatic size, the user only get a bit too small or a big picture once, and then get a picture adapted to its screen and not downsized, intact.

Honestly the user doesn't resize its browser all the time! and not many times!

#10 2013-06-26 16:56:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi Tadjio,

Let's give more details about the difference between automatic sizing with plugin Automatic Size and theme Stripped.

What does Stripped do? it displays size M and downsizes it in your web browser. This is really not the optimal way of doing things. You may find it perfect, but you had to use huge dimensions for size M, ie 1620x1080 pixels. Then visitors have to download a huge photo, which is downsized in their web browser.

For example on a page of your gallery the M size is 0.8MB heavy. That is absolutely huge. Such an heavy photo may take a very long time to download if you don't have a fast internet connection.

Your M size (1620x1080) is OK as long as you have a "not too big" screen. But if your visitor has a 2560x1440 screen, then it won't display more than 1620x1080.

Then it is downsized in the web browser = quality decreases. With some web browsers like Internet Explorer the downsizing can be really awful. And you can't know which web browser your visitors are using.

What does Automatic Size do? (imagine you have default configuration for photo sizes, ie M=792x594, L=1008x756, ...) depending on the available size, Piwigo displays the most appropriate size, ie XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL or XXL. Optimal file weight, ie page loads faster. No downsize in the web browser, ie no decrease of quality whatever the web browser of your visitor.

Believe me, Automatic Size is much better than what Stripped does. But it doesn't mean that you have to activate this plugin.

Now concerning the integration of Automatic Size into core, I think it's a bit too early for Piwigo 2.6. But maybe for 2.7. And even if option "automatic size" is added to Piwigo core, it doesn't mean you won't be able to avoid it with theme Stripped, just like today you can select size M or L or XL as "image size" in Stripped configuration.

We can also imagine to combine Automatic Size with browser downsize of Stripped. I think it's a bad idea, but I understand that people don't want to lose a single pixel. In that cas Automatic Size would display the most appropriate size + 1 (if M is considered as most appropriate, then we display L) and we let Stripped apply a browser downsizing.

#11 2013-07-07 16:28:29

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

I think the differences between stripped & default theme should be reduced, especially on the way derivative are handled (otherwise it is too complicated to maintain).

The thing I didn't want in stripped was to have a option box for the user to choose the size he wanted to display.
Choosing the right derivative automatically is the best thing to do.
(it should be correct at first load, though)

#12 2014-06-03 14:48:27

la_grenouille
2014-06-03

I'm sorry to reply to a so old subject but i wanted to know if there is something changed about the compatibility between Stripped and "automatic size" plugin ?

My reason: I'm a beeginer with Piwigo, i love the basic look of Stripped (simple and can be beautifull with a small setup) but if i understand, it always send to the browser the full size picture. As i want to give big pictures for users with big screens, it will be too heavy for users with small connection... So "Automatic Size" could solve the problem by sending the best suited image depending of the user's screen.

Thanks in advance for your help !

#13 2014-06-03 14:53:47

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hi
Zaphod is no longuer active to add/change features
I'm doing the compatibility updates when Piwigo is updated
So it's very far from being a priority: Stripped would need first a complete rewrite

#14 2014-06-03 16:53:24

la_grenouille
2014-06-03

Hi flop25
Thanks a lot for your anwser.
Ok, I will let you rewrite a beautifull Stripped :)
And I will try to find another theme and configure it to get a basic look, and working with "automatic size".

•  » Themes
  •  » [Stripped] compatibility with Automatic Size

Board footer