Announcement

#1 2014-02-03 10:05:10

JanisV
2013-09-25

[Plugin] physical2virtual

[extension by JanisV] physical2virtual

Convert physical albums to virtual for better categorization without changing real file positions.

This plugin make a copy of all images from physical albums into virtual with same name and hide source albums from users. (Do not copy a real image files, only their associations.) After that you can move you albums into any other album.

Similar plugin is Virtualize.

#2 2014-02-03 10:08:27

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: [Plugin] physical2virtual

Hi JanisV,

What is the difference between [extension by JanisV] physical2virtual and [extension by plg] Virtualize? (I have to give a try to your plugin)

#3 2014-02-03 10:55:37

JanisV
2013-09-25

plg wrote:

What is the difference between [extension by JanisV] physical2virtual and [extension by plg] Virtualize? (I have to give a try to your plugin)

Yes, these two plugins is similar. But Virtualize move a real files into ./upload. physical2virtual duplicate physical albums into virtual without real file changing. They both can be useful in different cases - Virtualize for uploading via FTP, physical2virtual for save the existing file structure in ./galleries.

#4 2014-02-03 23:31:29

Sathi

Hi JanisV, thank you for your work on this plugin. I am currently using the virtualize plugin. Unfortunately it seems to cause the videos in my gallery to become a broken link. Does physical2virtual work with video files?

-Sathi

#5 2014-02-04 13:03:05

JanisV
2013-09-25

Sathi wrote:

Hi JanisV, thank you for your work on this plugin. I am currently using the virtualize plugin. Unfortunately it seems to cause the videos in my gallery to become a broken link. Does physical2virtual work with video files?

-Sathi

Yes, my quick test show that processing video/audio files is correct.

PS
Problem in Virtualize plugin is not big. Contact the author for fixing.

#6 2014-02-14 22:59:58

Pelagis
Estonia
2014-01-06

Hi JanisV

Please can you explain once again the difference with Virtualize. Does your plugin copy the files to /upload and keep the originals in /galleries ? Or it does not copy the files? I mean these two sentences of your information:

>This plugin make a copy of all images from physical albums into virtual with same name
>Do not copy a real image files, only their associations.

I am asking because there must be a reason for Piwigo why files are normally moved to /upload folder and renamed.

Toomas

#7 2014-02-15 00:30:33

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

they are renamed in Piwigo, essentially to avoid private/hidden pictures to be seen due to filenames like DSC-0000123

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#8 2014-05-07 14:42:38

jdd
Toulouse (France)
2009-12-19

If I understand well (and what I need) is creating a virtual category, like one can do in piwigo, "copying" the files to a virtual album.

It's only a database thing AFAIR.

What I would like to know before trying is if it's possible to choose the real album/folders and if there is a risk of creating virtual duplicates if the action is made twice (by error)

if this plugin is making simply a virtual (not physical) mirror of the real albums to virtual, it's very usefull, because one can't move or rename real albums and making the copy for each one manually is pretty tedious

thanks
jdd

#9 2014-05-07 15:12:42

JanisV
2013-09-25

Hi, jdd!

Yes, it is true. At least, I tried to do so. Duplicates should not appear, but I recommend to try this plugin on a test server before.

#10 2014-05-07 18:06:23

jdd
Toulouse (France)
2009-12-19

nice, thanks

jdd

#11 2014-05-18 23:25:35

RemoteDoc

Hello,

I'm am new to Piwigo, but am slowly getting a gallery up and running (only spent a day on it so far).  Can someone explain to me what this album "virtualization" means exactly?  What does virtualizing an album do in laymen terms, and why is it beneficial?  Thanks.

#12 2014-05-18 23:49:25

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Hi

please read our doc http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user_ … dd_picture

FTP = physical
other methods = virtual

#13 2014-06-08 12:55:54

Fisiquin
2014-06-08

I'm just testing Piwigo for replacing my Gallery2 installation and I'm evaluating Virtualization and physical2virtual extensions.

This is my situation:

- I have a home NAS with all my photos organized in directories with the following structure: <YEAR>/<MONTH>/YEAR_MONTH_DAY/xxxxxx.jpg

My camera downloading software (Canon) generates automatically the directories YEAR_MONTH_DAY and downloads the photos from camera to the proper folder. I have just move those directories under my <YEAR>/<MONTH> structure for my own convenience.

This structure is quite easy to admin from file management point of view and automatic sync tools work quite well with this approach. (I have two copies of the photo directory tree in two different locations in sync with a sync tool).

Being told that, I would like to "extend" that way of working to Piwigo using FTP uploading capabilities, keeping in sync my local copy of the directory tree with one uploaded in Piwigio under galleries directory.

However, YEAR_MONTH_DAY names are not quite "human" readable and I would like to create “virtual” album that aggregates the photos in a more attractive way: i.e.: All photos under physical directories 2013_12_01, 2013_12_02 directories being shown under a virtual album named “Trip to Italy”. The physical album with the “machine” names (2013_12_01) will be hidden to the users only being seen by admin.
It is necessary to keep in mind that the FTP uploaded structure should be kept unchanged in order the automatic sync programs will keep working property. If a photo/file is deleted/moved due the transformation from physical to virtual, the photo/file will be uploaded again in the next automatic sync cycle.
In this context and according with the documentation I’ve read, physical2virtual extension fits better my requirements; however I have seen Virtualize has more users.

Please, what do you think?

#14 2014-06-08 13:21:33

jdd
Toulouse (France)
2009-12-19

hello :-)

none of them.

I you need to have a comprehensive name for the folder, you have to type it one at a time, so better use the interactive menus in admin: create the folder and put the photos in it. It's a bit tedious (long), and you have to select the photos - the best way may to select them first.

I do yet have to evaluatethe scripts to see what they do in update time - that is how I can make them wotk only on the non already transposed folders

jdd

#15 2016-06-11 16:46:43

alihor
Bavaria, Germany
2015-08-31

Hi Janis, what is the function of your parameters? Where can I read a usage manual?

Create new virtual albums into  ........
         Lock physical albums after converting
         Make physical albums private after converting
         Unlock new virtual albums when possible
         New virtual albums inherit the group/user permissions from its parent
         Store folder structure

As I am not a DB guru, I need to know what funtion to enable.
thanks + regards
Alhard

Board footer