Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Extension vs. Plugins

#1 2014-07-11 00:55:01

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

Extension vs. Plugins

I'm a newbie here porting over from Menalto Gallery.

If I understand it correctly Extensions=Plugins. Since the admin page and other places seem to go with Plugins, I would suggest changing all references to Extensions to Plugins. Was confusing when people or docs said install an extension, but there aren't any.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the great program.

#2 2014-07-11 08:17:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Extension vs. Plugins

Hi MtnBiker,

Extension != plugin

Extension = plugin OR theme OR language (OR template-extension OR tool)

#3 2014-07-11 08:26:56

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

Thanks for responding. Sorry I misunderstood. As I said I am a newbie and didn't see any mention of Extensions on the admin page, only Plugins so didn't know where to find Extensions.

When I go to Plugins>Manage I see a category "Inactive themes" and in the list I see what I now think are extensions, so things are a bit confusing.

Last edited by MtnBiker (2014-07-11 08:27:49)

#4 2014-07-11 09:36:00

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

MtnBiker wrote:

When I go to Plugins>Manage I see a category "Inactive themes"

?
"themes" really?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2014-07-11 19:29:58

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

I tried to attach the image before, but missed the size limit. And not sure this addresses your question.

My point is that there is a bit of confusion about Themes, Plugins, Tools and Extensions. Themes are pretty obvious, but the other three are easy to mix up. I haven't figured my way around the docs to find a definition of those terms. I see on the landing page "Themes and Plugins. Change appearance and add countless features." on the left side of the page, but it doesn't click through. At the top menu "Extensions" four categories without definition show up (Language is added to the three that show up on the rollover). That page could have a definition of each term on the left side of the page. For example, "Themes can be used to change the appearance of your Piwigo site," "Plugins …", "Tools…"

I don't want to beat this to death, but as a newbie I'm having trouble finding out what the difference is between a Plugin and a Tool. And I suspect in a few days, most of this will be transparent, but just reporting what I'm finding to ease the way for other newbies.

The admin page when first opened up has Plugins and Tools, but no Themes unless they should appear under Plugins or I just haven't added any.

The problem may be the difference between the perspective as a developer and user. Or that I just don't get it.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by MtnBiker (2014-07-11 19:51:19)

#6 2014-07-11 20:39:24

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Wow I've never see that bug of translation! That's very weird Did you play with the language tab of Localfiles editor?

If you want, I can give an access to our wiki/doc to improve it. As you can see the English one lack of many things

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#7 2014-07-11 20:53:09

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

flop25 wrote:

Wow I've never see that bug of translation! That's very weird Did you play with the language tab of Localfiles editor?

If you want, I can give an access to our wiki/doc to improve it. As you can see the English one lack of many things

I don't think I touched the language tab.

I'd be happy to work on the docs, but my time is limited for a while. And it will take a while to come up to speed on Piwigo. I might wait until the Menalto Gallery 3 to Piwigo migration tool is finished to do much. Next three weeks planning for a long trip and two plus months traveling which will mostly be sans internet. But working on the docs may improve my French too if I have to read the French docs which is good.

#8 2014-07-14 20:48:26

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

okay that's a bad translation of en_GB
I correct it

you canr evock my access

#9 2014-07-14 20:50:56

MtnBiker
2014-07-10

flop25 wrote:

okay that's a bad translation of en_GB
I correct it

you canr evock my access

Good and thanks for fixing.