Announcement

#1 2014-08-14 15:11:10

Nixblicker
2014-08-13

[resolved] Login/password problems

Hello guys,

after I seem to have solved my other problems from yesterday, there has a new problem arisen meanwhile.

When I wanted to start organizing my fotos today, I was prompted for a re-login. I was a bit surprised, as that hasn't happened once so far - but well, it is not that unusual, isn't it?

So I tried to login with my administrative user account again, and guess what - it failed. Repeatedly. WTF?!

Ok I searched the forum for this and found several posts, e.g.:
http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p … 16#p138016
http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p … 16#p138016

They helped me to find the appropriate place where the pw of the account is stored in the mysql database and that the entry is a md5 hash and so on.

Re-setting it via

Code:

mysql> UPDATE piwigo_users SET password = '5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99'  where username = 'admin';

allowed me to login on the page with 'password'. Note that I had to use the hash without the prefix $P$G that seems to be requested for the entry - using it resulted in an entry truncated by exactly 4digits and rendering it entirely useless.
However the changed db entry '5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99' seems to be overwritten by something immediately after, so checking it results in an arbitrary entry like '$P$G_somehashdata', and tying to change the user pw using the respective form under "user data/layout" fails with a "Wrong old password" message (translated - might be different in your locale).

If I had reset the pw in the db to the hashed 'password' before, it appears that the form accepts the new pw entries and returns to the default page view. So one might think that the problem is solved now.
But no, still no success - the db password entry is again automagically exchanged for another and logout/re-login does again not work properly.

I'm definitely out of ideas at this point. Does anyone of you have an idea or a hint for me?

Why did this come out of the blue? What process might be causing the strange resetting of the pw?
Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks very much,
Nix

Piwigo version: Piwigo 2.6.3
PHP version: PHP: 5.4.4-14+deb7u12
MySQL version: MySQL: 5.5.38-0+wheezy1
Piwigo URL: http://

Last edited by Nixblicker (2014-08-18 10:16:04)

#2 2014-08-18 11:13:04

Nixblicker
2014-08-13

Re: [resolved] Login/password problems

Hello again,

really nobody has an idea of what might be going on? Is there some information missing that I should provide?

Probably I should try to condense what is the status and what is troubling me:

a. Installation of all individual components needed for piwigo went well and are working as expected.
b. Net-install of piwigo finished successfully after nginx webserver was setup correctly
c. with the admin account I was able to login to and configure piwigo for about 2 days, until ...
d. after solving some privilege issues with my local foto file structure that I wanted to include via symlink, and...
e. adding some missing entries to the definition of tables in the local MySQL database, as these were causing various error warnings.

Since then I have a working gallery with thousands of pictures without any further error warnings, but am now unable to use and share it. From one day to the other there is no way to login my page with the admin account I used before, or with any other.

I am able to temporally bypass this problem in changing the appropriate password entry in the database via ssh connection to my server. But that is only working once - after the login the altered entry gets overwritten by another md5-hash.

I tried creating other accounts with new passwords - none of them is working, neither normal users nor webmaster accounts.

I hope, this time the description is a bit more comprehensible and clear so one of you might point me in the right direction.

Thank you once more for ideas and advices,
Nix

PS: Here some concrete questions that might help me solving my problems - for those of you interested to help...

1 - Is there some alternative, persistent way to reset an account password other than via webform, e.g. directly through mysql command?
2 - What is the $P$G string prefix for in the respective database password entry
3 - why is the definition of the (32 digit) varchar string in the table piwigo_users not causing a systematically truncated md5-hash entry (truncated by the 4 chars in "$P$G") every time a 32 digit md5hash is created from the users password plain text entry during account creation or password change? When I try to manually reset an entry via mysql console it gets truncated accordingly.

#3 2014-08-18 11:35:57

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
piwigo use a hashed password but allow md5 as temporary password (for backward compatibility): when a md5 password is detected, the password is updated to hashed one
that explains what you've seen, and that's the 'manual' way to reset the pwd

But http://piwigo.org/dev/browser/trunk/ins … l.sql#L461 the varchar is 255 and as you have written, it seems to be one of numerous issue you had with your mysql install: someting is wrong with your mysql, don't know why but that's the fact shows
so change the varchar to correct your problem

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#4 2014-08-18 13:05:02

Nixblicker
2014-08-13

Damn,

feel kind of embarrassed now - I should've checked the definition trunk before posting.
Thank you flop25, it was the hint I obviously needed.

I deleted and recreated the table entry with the designated 255 varchar, and the problems are gone.
Do not know what went wrong with the mysql data, but obviously there is more awry that I have anticipated.

Thanks for your time and help,
Nix

#5 2014-08-18 13:05:42

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

have a good day ;)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#6 2015-04-06 01:17:11

DanielBL

hello,
I have the same problem as the individual who describes in detail their process of not being able to login with the admin user after a couple of days of everything going smooth. 

my page is permaculturephotography.com

I don't understand all the computer code talk.  I tell piwigo to email me so I can reset my password and I get no email.  Not in spam folders, nowhere. 

Please advise how to be able to have access to my website in laymen's terms. 

thanks!

Board footer