Announcement

•  » Themes
  •  » Modern Theme Request

#31 2014-09-03 01:27:37

philb
2014-07-22

Re: Modern Theme Request

I have actually started work on a Bootstrap based "Default" theme.

The idea is that it would act as a parent theme and allow others to create child themes off it and be able to theme Bootstrap (which of course is used on 100,000's of sites and many are familiar with it) or modify my templates to create modern and responsive themes (again with the familiarity of Bootstrap).

Ideally I would have liked to have made the theme customisable within the admin area, but as this isn't supported by Piwigo I suppose this could be done later as a plugin.

I think I'm probably beginning to see why Piwigo is not a popular option to create themes for as it's not exactly the easiest system to work with.

A few of my observations:

* Excessively fragmented templates, I don't feel that these are optimal when creating themes.
* Completely undocumented variables.
* Inconsistent naming conventions of variables.
* Variables are not consistently available in all templates, e.g. $GALLERY_TITLE is null within menubar.tpl so trying to create a navbar like http://getbootstrap.com/components/#navbar for example you have to resort to hacks to simply have the gallery title in there.
* Plugin logic is embedded in the themes in various places, there are a lot nicer ways this could have been done.

Of course much of this could come down to personal preference, also it probably doesn't help that I've just finished working on some Ghost theme customisations and the Ghost theme engine is very quick and simple to use.

Anyway back to the topic...

I will open source my efforts, once complete, and I'm going to try and port my blog theme over as well. The base theme will probably be ready in a day or two so I'll post a link.

Last edited by philb (2014-09-03 01:29:11)

#32 2014-09-03 08:05:01

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Thx
yes template variables have a scope limited to the template itself
What do you mean by the Plugin logic
I suggest you to use our deposit SVN so we could help too

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#33 2014-09-03 09:59:16

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

flop25 wrote:

yes template variables have a scope limited to the template itself

that's not true,

but it all depends in which order templates are parsed
in this case menubar.tpl is parsed before the include of page_header.php, then variables declared in page_header are not available yet

thats pretty bad, all of this would need a refactoring (it's part of [Bugtracker] ticket 3107)

#34 2014-09-03 12:36:07

moorezilla
Massachusetts
2014-07-25

Thank you everyone for the efforts on the theming front! This thread is exciting to follow and it looks poised to produce some significant gains for the Piwigo project.

#35 2014-09-03 14:09:37

philb
2014-07-22

flop25 wrote:

I suggest you to use our deposit SVN so we could help too

I have what I have done so far on Github, but it's not a lot yet, mainly just nav.

Repo: https://github.com/Philio/BootstrapDefault
Demo: http://bootstrapdefault.phil.si/

#36 2014-09-05 05:56:27

philb
2014-07-22

A quick update - the front page is essentially done, enough to see what the theme will look like at least.

Some of the functionality is commented out / non-functional as it stands.

Please don't try too hard to break it as the images are linked to my live site (although the source/database are just copies).

#37 2014-09-05 05:59:15

philb
2014-07-22

Can someone give me an example of when these variables get populated and why?

* $header_msgs
* $theSwiftHeader
* $header_notes

They always appear to be null/empty. Didn't get round to checking the code yet, hoping someone knows!

#38 2014-09-05 09:57:27

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

as their name indicates that's for displaying messages so indeed they are empty until an error/notice is displayed like when a comment is posted

the best is to simply do a global search with your IDE so you could see header_msgs is in common inc, header_notes is page_header.php
theSwiftHeader was for a old plugin now outdated

thx  alot for your contribution That's great to have something functionnal even basic

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#39 2014-09-05 19:59:07

philb
2014-07-22

I was really wondering if they were deprecated as I'm getting messages populated in the $errors and $infos arrays just fine.

I'll have a look in the code later.

#40 2014-09-05 20:00:30

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

philb wrote:

I was really wondering if they were deprecated as I'm getting messages populated in the $errors and $infos arrays just fine.

sry I don't understand Could you rephrase?

#41 2014-09-05 21:42:36

philb
2014-07-22

What I mean is, I was wondering if they were used as messages seem to be populated via $infos and $errors.

However, I ran grep on the source (as I only added the theme directory to the IDE) and can see that there are some uses.

$header_msgs seems to be used for severe/fatal errors:

Code:

include/common.inc.php:  $header_msgs[] = l10n('Bad status for user "guest", using default status. Please notify the webmaster.');
include/common.inc.php:  $header_msgs[] = l10n('The gallery is locked for maintenance. Please, come back later.');
include/common.inc.php:    $header_msgs[] = 'Some database upgrades are missing, '

$header_notes seems to be user configurable and used by filtering.

#42 2014-09-17 18:15:34

Benoît
2011-06-24

Hi All,

I've been using Piwigo for some years now. Following photo_friend's message (see below), I also feel that Piwigo is only missing a bit of modern look and feel to become the Google+/FlickR killer for sharing personnal galleries to your friends and parents. However, I'm not able to give the list of features I would require for this.

Given the huge amount of open source work so far on this projet, I do not think money for coding is the main motivation. But of course I may be wrong.

Long life to Piwigo !

photo_friend wrote:

Hi Serge D,

Thanks for your Feedback.
What means modern design for me:
- Responsive design
- Optimized for touch devices (Smartphones, tablets)
- A smart integration for existing filters (tags; sorting by dates / names / ...; languages ...)
- Give the administrator wide range of options (see admin of the stripped Theme)
- Smart integration of download options
- An intelligent navigation in huge galleries with more than 50.000 photos
- Modern browsing thru big galleries - Like in a Gthumb+
- Seamless integration of full screen pictures views
- Shiny, glossy design ;-)

This is not a wish list of new features. As you said - all this functionality exist already. But in Themes today are not state of the art anymore. Special on mobile / touch devices.

On Example: I like for the app "FlickStackr" - this has a modern concept of navigation and presentation.

Thanks to all who push this topic forward
I’m looking forward …

#43 2014-09-17 18:45:32

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Benoît wrote:

Given the huge amount of open source work so far on this projet, I do not think money for coding is the main motivation. But of course I may be wrong.

for my personal case, you are totally right :-)

#44 2014-12-03 19:44:00

svetla

Hello,
is there a link i can review all free themes available for Piwigo?
We just installed it for a test ride-have to upgrade from G2 gallery soon, but i am not finding much variety when it comes to themes. Thank you all for your replies

#45 2015-01-19 16:13:04

danibo
Zurich
2009-10-07

An intresting treat. I am althought convinced, that the basic code of piwigo is superb and it is underselling itself with its default design.
I can not code but could bring in some design ideas and some money, if somebody would like to code a new theme.
I think Modus started already with some modern design.  Maybe we could use this as base to start.
I use modus at www.bilderlager.ch/test_bilderlager and like the features, that you can change colors etc..

danibo

Last edited by danibo (2015-02-20 11:19:09)

•  » Themes
  •  » Modern Theme Request

Board footer