Announcement

#1 2010-10-14 03:02:47

simonb
2010-10-12

Original file names

A script to give back the original file name and not the privacy file name given when the picture is upload.

#2 2010-10-14 11:52:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Original file names

The original file name is stored in the database in images.file field.

If you have a High Definition photo, when you download it with the floppy disk icon, your browser saves it with its original filename, not its Piwigo internal filename.

#3 2010-10-14 11:56:56

simonb
2010-10-12

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My photos are not hi-definition.

I now have download multi working. I am just planning that if I ever need to download all my albums again I can restore the original names as they describe what the picture is e.g. family_holiday.jpg.

I have several thousands pictures upload so it would need to be a script to change them back. I would also like the option to turn off the security name changing.

Many thanks,

Simon.

#4 2010-10-14 12:01:16

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

OK, I understand better, that's [Bugtracker] ticket 1102

#5 2010-10-14 12:05:37

simonb
2010-10-12

Hi, the bug tracker report appears to refer to uploaded with ploader. I have uploaded via web browser and it is designed behaviour the file name changing.

#6 2010-10-14 12:06:53

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

simonb wrote:

Hi, the bug tracker report appears to refer to uploaded with ploader. I have uploaded via web browser and it is designed behaviour the file name changing.

pLoader (or any other remote application) and web upload form use the same method to store photos. Only the FTP+synchronization is different.

#7 2010-10-14 12:09:52

simonb
2010-10-12

ok, thanks again for the reply. So there is a plan to change to using the original file name for the photo?

That would be a good feature for me.

#8 2010-10-15 04:04:54

simonb
2010-10-12

Can you tell me how to which script deals with the name change, I will have a look see if I can comment it out for the time to stop it changing any more file names.

Thank you,

Simon.

#9 2014-04-12 13:05:50

Adam

Hi, is there a way to auto rename photos when they are downloaded from the site?

What I am trying to achieve is to allow users to upload photos and not worry too much about the actual original file name, then when someone chooses to download the original photo from the site, I would like it to auto rename to the same as the photo "Title".

For example:

A user uploads file - "DSC0001.jpg"

In Piwigo the photo is tagged, a nice title is given - "This is a test title" (for example)

When someone then chooses to download the original photo, instead of getting

"DSC0001.jpg" they get "This is a test title.jpg"

We deal with a lot of photos coming in from lots of staff members around the world and this solution would be ideal, as we cannot trust that everyone that uploads would follow the correct protocol and rename correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#10 2014-10-10 10:18:27

Hochzeitstorte
2014-10-10

simonb wrote:

ok, thanks again for the reply. So there is a plan to change to using the original file name for the photo?

That would be a good feature for me.

Hi,

original file names for the photos which uploaded by web upload form would be a very important feature also for me and other users for two reasons:

1. Original file names are essential for search engine ranking of the photos
2. Web upload form is the easiest way to upload for newbies and those who do not want to study web engineering.

May be my comment makes it a tad more urgently to solve this problem/bug.

#11 2014-10-10 10:26:50

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

1) no

2) You know how to use the Windows Explorer or similar? you know how to use a FTP browser

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#12 2014-10-10 10:34:22

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi Hochzeitstorte,

1) I'm not so sure, I've seen many photos hosted on a Piwigo that were very well referenced by Google Images while their URL did not use the original filename.

2) Yes I agree, web upload is the simplest way to upload photos in Piwigo, but I don't come to the same conclusion. When they download the photo, the file has the original file name.

#13 2014-10-10 11:02:49

Hochzeitstorte
2014-10-10

flop25 wrote:

1) no

Are you sure? Would you please show me serious SEO tutorial that agrees with you? Most of SEO tutorials I found, strong recommend describing file names. Nevertheless other factors also very important for SEO.

flop25 wrote:

2) You know how to use the Windows Explorer or similar? you know how to use a FTP browser

I know it but not my friends for whom I set up piwigo at own web space. After I set piwigo for my friends, they would like to use piwigo without to study, what means FTP, and which characters they only have to use for names of files and folders. They only would like to promote their photos.

#14 2014-10-10 11:09:28

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

1) this is not essential but part of many things to do; if you have tetx content, meta info and metadata info but no descriptive filename, that's realy good for seo
2)yeah I forgot that part about characters, since by default I don't abuse of special char. when saving files

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#15 2014-10-10 11:45:48

Hochzeitstorte
2014-10-10

plg wrote:

1) I'm not so sure, I've seen many photos hosted on a Piwigo that were very well referenced by Google Images while their URL did not use the original filename.

A very well reference by Google results from several factors. For example if already many sites in the web links to my photos, that pushes my photos at most.
But at the beginning there are no or only a few links onto my gallery. Moreover, in a gallery there is usually less text, mostly just a short description. Right at the start of a new gallery surely Google recognizes various details, not at least the words in the file name.

plg wrote:

... but I don't come to the same conclusion. When they download the photo, the file has the original file name.

The file gets the original file name only if they use the download button or menu. But many people appreciate a clear, slim design of a gallery, without redundant buttons, menus, and gimmicks.  The easiest and I believe most used way to download a single picture is right click and choose "Save picture ...". But in this way they get a weird file name.

Board footer